• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Advent Loudspeaker - disassembling the fried egg tweeter

kwingylee

Well-Known Member
Has anyone tried to disassemble a fried egg tweeter and successfully replace the damage voice coil with one from a donor?
 
Register to hide this ad
Have you taken it apart to see what the actual issue is? Broken tinsel wire, burned voice coil, etc?
 
I’ve repaired Wharfedale Mylar domes by peeling off the dome and then unwrapping the tinsel wire off the VC until I had enough to reterminate it.
I could see the dome on the fried egg tweets being a little more fragile and harder to get off in one piece.

I have a fried egg that works but has low output. Maybe I’ll try peeling the dome off to see how it goes. I might have another one that’s good. I’ll have to look in my stash.
 
The cones/diaphragms of the fried egg tweeters are fairly brittle. I have one from my very early pair of OLAs (it has no metal grill attached) that has a lead broken right where the lead enters the cone and I have been putting off repairing it because I know it won't be easy.

Doug
 
Back
Top Bottom