• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The beauty of Bogen

Actually may be a good solution for my situation. Using my phone as source of output to amp is hurting me. I worry that having to jack volume to get good output will overheat something.
 
Hi all,

I currently have no stereophonic tube gear. I have been all SS since about.....2013 or so. I do have tube-type testers, radios, televisions, etc.

My point is this; I have been looking for a nice old set to power some mint condition AR2ax s

Some Bogens on are on my list....those DS265s would be first rate. GZ34 rectifier and nice iron.

Any other recommendations? Perhaps Leaks? Those are bigger money. I want serious old tube headroom for these.
 
Really liking my bogen. Its running the 3way bozaks. And that 12 inch car woofer box. Im shaking house. No distortion.
 

Attachments

  • 16089924987078903300928371747776.jpg
    16089924987078903300928371747776.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 16089925329967638332368528732401.jpg
    16089925329967638332368528732401.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 57
GADGET. IM MORE AND MORE IMPRESSED WITH THIS BY DAY. I THINK I COULD GO MORE. NOT EVEN USING 3RD CHANNEL YET. MAY NOT NEED IT. WISH I COULD DO SOME MEASUREMENTS. ( DB)
 
Hey Gadget. So I put the 2 bozaks on channel one. Switched impedance to 16 ohm. I put channel 2 on 4 ohm. And hooked up this box. A force to be reconed with now(:!
 
Jumping into this thread a bit late, but can vouch for the DS-265 as a solid design well executed. The triple rectifiers translate into the effortless dynamic performance, and the OPTs do a fine job with the whole bandwidth. I began to take this amp seriously when I found how nicely it drove Magnepans, yet was quiet enough to use with 100 db efficiency speakers. All I did was renew and match parts where needed.
 
Doug Weiss, thanks for your words in the DS-265. I'm interested to know how you would compare that amp to, say, a Harman Kardon Citation V which uses an identical tube (7581-A) or perhaps even a McIntosh MC-240 which also can be used with either a 6l6gc or 7027-A's based on what the chassis reads (on some models)?
How would you describe the mid-range? I already suspect the base will be it's strongest point?
Also, what tubes are you currently using with your DS-265?
 
Gooshe.
While I haven't heard the mc240, bogen 265, nor the HK citation V, I would expect the bogen to be a real close contender. 3x 5AR4 rectifiers and the iron to drive those pigs, is not a cheap thing to design, nor implement.
I obviously havent played with the amps in question, however seeing all of the extra expensive design elements on the bogen like separate supplies or the screens, really suggests to me that Bogen put their money towards engineered performance whereas companies like McIntosh and HK were spending some amount of money to make chrome plated badges, and take out full page ads in Radio and Television News..
Long story longer...
I'd expect 99% of the performance for about 30% of the price when buying Bogen gear.
 
Gooshe.
While I haven't heard the mc240, bogen 265, nor the HK citation V, I would expect the bogen to be a real close contender. 3x 5AR4 rectifiers and the iron to drive those pigs, is not a cheap thing to design, nor implement.
I obviously havent played with the amps in question, however seeing all of the extra expensive design elements on the bogen like separate supplies or the screens, really suggests to me that Bogen put their money towards engineered performance whereas companies like McIntosh and HK were spending some amount of money to make chrome plated badges, and take out full page ads in Radio and Television News..
Long story longer...
I'd expect 99% of the performance for about 30% of the price when buying Bogen gear.
You know. Your probly so right. I must have gotten lucky. The bogens are plane janes most of time. But look at this! Haha. Still waiting for someone to show me theirs darnit
 

Attachments

  • 20210303_151339.jpg
    20210303_151339.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 44
Gooshe.
While I haven't heard the mc240, bogen 265, nor the HK citation V, I would expect the bogen to be a real close contender. 3x 5AR4 rectifiers and the iron to drive those pigs, is not a cheap thing to design, nor implement.
I obviously havent played with the amps in question, however seeing all of the extra expensive design elements on the bogen like separate supplies or the screens, really suggests to me that Bogen put their money towards engineered performance whereas companies like McIntosh and HK were spending some amount of money to make chrome plated badges, and take out full page ads in Radio and Television News..
Long story longer...
I'd expect 99% of the performance for about 30% of the price when buying Bogen gear.
You know. Your probly so right. I must have gotten lucky. The bogens are plane janes most of time. But look at this! Haha. Still waiting for someone to show me theirs darning.
Just curious if they are such good amps, why so few of them made because they are extremely rare on the used market.
 
Gooshe.
While I haven't heard the mc240, bogen 265, nor the HK citation V, I would expect the bogen to be a real close contender. 3x 5AR4 rectifiers and the iron to drive those pigs, is not a cheap thing to design, nor implement.
I obviously havent played with the amps in question, however seeing all of the extra expensive design elements on the bogen like separate supplies or the screens, really suggests to me that Bogen put their money towards engineered performance whereas companies like McIntosh and HK were spending some amount of money to make chrome plated badges, and take out full page ads in Radio and Television News..
Long story longer...
I'd expect 99% of the performance for about 30% of the price when buying Bogen gear.
Your right. They put alot of stuff into the amps. Theres 14 tubes altogether in there. 7 per channel. You can get lost under the chassis. Packed full.
 
Just curious if they are such good amps, why so few of them made because they are extremely rare on the used market.
Good question. I see the db 230 for sale frequently. 350 bucks. But the db230a is alot different. I haven't seen one for sale. Maybe because they just aren't for sale. At times I wonder what I could auction for. But wont happen. I'd think atleast 800 on it. But maybe I'm crazy
 
Generally I've found that companies who make the top quality industrial equipment, all do so for the same guy. He buys a lot, spends a whole lot, and demands rigorous testing. That man, Uncle Sam, often has a procedure for destroying the equipment he purchases, so that you and I dont get our greasy civilian hands on it.
 
Doug Weiss, thanks for your words in the DS-265. I'm interested to know how you would compare that amp to, say, a Harman Kardon Citation V which uses an identical tube (7581-A) or perhaps even a McIntosh MC-240 which also can be used with either a 6l6gc or 7027-A's based on what the chassis reads (on some models)?
How would you describe the mid-range? I already suspect the base will be it's strongest point?
Also, what tubes are you currently using with your DS-265?

Gooshe, I haven't heard the HK V or the MC 240 in the same timeframe with the same speakers, so anything I would say for comparison's sake would be purely subjective. The first speaker I connected the DS-265 to after doing the aforementioned updates was a pair of Magnepan SMGa, and frankly, it sounded powerful, yet capable of rendering the delicate edges of transients of all frequencies with a delicate touch. What was equally amazing is how good it sounded at modest volumes with the SMGa that otherwise like to be played loudly. I also connected it to a pair of Altec 604-8G and was surprised at how little hum was present. The square wave tests at 1 and 10 kHz showed a bit of overshoot that is damped within a few cycles, and otherwise very clean waveforms for a tube amp. I suspect with a little work the overshoot could be corrected. I've only used 7027A so far, with the quad in play about halfway through their life, labeled Magnavox but made by RCA. I have more NOS 7027A when these wear out. The trio of 5AR4 is a bit spendy, but they're not worked very hard and should last a good while. If I ever get around to tweaking the square wave performance I'll share the results.
 
Back
Top Bottom