• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Best 50 Dollar A Pair Speakers Ever ??

i have mine on stands within 18 inches or less of the screen on my sony wega flat crt, with no problems whatever
 
Sorry to beat on a dead thread, but Im new to the forum and happen to own a pair...

Priced at ~$45 + tax. Ill admit Im very new into HIFI but I was floored when I saw the build quality of such cheap speakers. I expected the relitively large "Port" to be there only for looks and the insides to be bare mdf. I shined a light in the port and saw it went nearly to the back of the box and had cloth like mesh over the back to keep little ones from shoving pennies down it. Also the box was lined with eggcrate foam as far as I could tell.

I have them currently set up in my bedroom for tv/gaming/light music and they suit this roll admirably. They are set on some homemade all maple sand filled stands; driven by a reboxed SI T-amp with all connectors upgraded, bass cap mod, and 13.5v powersupply. I looked into adding a sub into the equation, but even DIY would double the cost of the whole setup.

After running some test tones through them I observe the port tuning to be around 50hz.. which I guess is where the boomyness comes from.

Very satisfied with them. I like the shape of the box.. I think floorstanding versions in a cherry vineer would be freakin beautiful!! Maybe a 2.5 way setup with a second woofer.:scratch2:


In hindsight I think I may have seen some floorstander clones but stickershock (in comparison) blocked it from my memory.

Added some pics of the setup, please excuse my 5+yr old camera.
 

Attachments

  • Insignias0.JPG
    Insignias0.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Insignias3.JPG
    Insignias3.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 170
Nice setup... your post makes me wonder the chances of an Insignia floorstander? Priced around $85? Maybe a subwoofer? in cherry? the possibilities are endless....
 
Since the thread is alive -

I did the Murphy XO mod. It was an improvement. Took about a week of play before I got over the feeling I made a mistake, but now I'm more than satisfied. However, the actual listening difference is subtle. Worth it, but subtle. Resolution is improved, but I think some of the original charachter has been removed.

Total $$ for the XOs was $70 plus 1 hour to build them. I now have $88 into my Insignias.

Pics to come.
 
http://www.radiient.com/s.nl/it.A/id.26/.f

It is the original Radiient Helios Set where I saw the floorstanders. They just doesn't seem as sleek as I think they could look. Maybe the plastic looking tweeter and base.

Oah well, I guess there is always DIY.. I have been looking into box design for these 12 $1.50 drivers to put in an uber cheap line array.
 
I am SOOO Behind

I finally got myself a pair of these Insignias. (BB Gift Card for B-Day:D) I was auditioning them in-store and was actually told by a rep to turn it down. I thought that's why they had the displays, to turn it UP!!:grumpy: ~$85+tax for the pair. I have them hooked up to the R-7 and am listening as I type. Very big-sounding for the size. I need to break them in to listen to them correctly, right? My initial analysis on the high frequencies is BRIGHT. They definitely need to soften up a bit, but it doesn't make them sound too horrible. I have a tweeter test track that I will play on them out of the box, and then, again, a few weeks later, after extensive loud listening.:yes: Already, I notice they have Chuff-itis.:D Socks in the ports helps a decent amount, but they keep popping out.:D Also, how do I get into the boxes to look around? My general consensus is that the grill pegs are Allen screws that hold on the front baffle.

I hope to get much enjoyment from these babies, no matter how far behind the hype I am:lmao:
 
Update

I don't seem to have enough power to please them. I've been up to 2:30 on the volume knob with almost no distortion at all.:eek: Might have to hook them up to the Yamaha HT receiver (85 wpc) That's the beefiest thing I've got!:yes:
 
I've never had mine open but believe access inside is via the metallic grill posts which also hold on the "black lacquer" front panel. IMO they really smooth out and become pretty polite/laid back after break-in. They mate pretty well with the $15, 25W Accurian integrated from Radio Shack (requires an easy mod - check the thread elsewhere in AK).

I've used them most with a 5W Super T and a 60W Sherwood S-8900A. They play loud with 5W but sound better with more power. I've found that congest at louder volumes but so do many better and more expensive speakers. I think they sound way better than they should. They image pretty well on stands.

IMO, they are critical enough in "stock mode" so that cable differences are immediately apparent. Play around with cables and interconnects, until you get the desired result.

Also, you can break them in quick by playing them 'round the clock with an abundant bass source and placing them face to face. Wire one speaker out of phase (red wire to black post and black wire to red post) and turn your preamp, receiver source to mono so that most of the output from one speaker is canceled out by the other. A thick blanket over the top helps too.
 
Don't know if I missed this in a recent post and I have no affiliation with Best Buy. I just noticed they are now on sale through Dec. 15th for $50/pair according to the BB web site and a flyer from my Sunday paper.

IMO They sound pretty good with the RS Accurian Amp too.
 
Don't know if I missed this in a recent post and I have no affiliation with Best Buy. I just noticed they are now on sale through Dec. 15th for $50/pair according to the BB web site and a flyer from my Sunday paper.

IMO They sound pretty good with the RS Accurian Amp too.

Figures they do it three months after I buy mine! :finger: :D
 
I still have mine in my study, now coupled to the Sherwood RX-4109 receiver on sale at Radio Shack this season for $79.99 (100 watts/channel). They sound great!
 
Don't know if I missed this in a recent post and I have no affiliation with Best Buy. I just noticed they are now on sale through Dec. 15th for $50/pair according to the BB web site and a flyer from my Sunday paper.

IMO They sound pretty good with the RS Accurian Amp too.

I got mine when they were around $30-35. As far as I know, the current $50 sale is the cheapest I can remember them being since then. For anyone interested in trying these out, this may be the best time to try.
 
My friend just got a pair after listening to mine. Best Buy is currently having a sale on them. $49.99 a pair.
 
Definitely my Sony SS-G4's. Came with stands, mint, and they sound like a million bucks (contrary to what most people would think). Easily the least fatiguing speakers I have heard up till now, yet they are still crisp, and have great midrange. From back when Sony still made great gear.
 
Back
Top Bottom