• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The biggest Speaker cabinets I have ever seen !

Dude. With an SP15A in 31 cubic feet, tuned to 28 Hz, WinISD says that f3 is 25.4Hz. Two 6" diameter vents, about 1.75" long, should do it.

If you did that, I'd try adding a tiny amount of series resistance... like say .5 to 1 ohm or so. Might 'fatten up' the bass, and make them truly satisfying down to the mid 20s...

Regards,
Gordon.

What a way to spend your 10k post. Those cabinets are going to SHAKE the whole house, loaded like that.
 
Dude. With an SP15A in 31 cubic feet, tuned to 28 Hz, WinISD says that f3 is 25.4Hz. Two 6" diameter vents, about 1.75" long, should do it.

If you did that, I'd try adding a tiny amount of series resistance... like say .5 to 1 ohm or so. Might 'fatten up' the bass, and make them truly satisfying down to the mid 20s...

Regards,
Gordon.

How about an idea of how to make 2 SP15's work in each cab ? or what my results may be ?
I will be using the SM120A / 1824M for the mids,and either ST350's or T350's for tweets.
At this point other AK'ers are suggesting DUAL SP15's....whatta ya think Gordon? :scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Dual SP15s in each cabinet, F3 of 32Hz, no messing around required. Tune the cabinet to 33 Hz (two 8" diameter vents 2" long per cabinet, or three 5" diameter holes cut into a 3/4" thick baffle with NO vent pipes, will do it).

BTW: You want something that could potentially make a K-horn run and hide? This may be it. 101dB sensitivity at 1 watt!! And with dual 15", it can handle some POWER. That, with the SM120A horn and ST350 tweeters (which, BTW, will bolt onto the front of the SM120A), would be the serious shiznits...


Regards,
Gordon.
 
Last edited:
Dual SP15s in each cabinet, F3 of 32Hz, no messing around required. Tune the cabinet to 33 Hz (two 8" diameter vents 2" long per cabinet, or three 5" diameter holes cut into a 3/4" thick baffle with NO vent pipes, will do it).

BTW: You want something that could potentially make a K-horn run and hide? This may be it. 101dB sensitivity at 1 watt!! And with dual 15", it can handle some POWER. That, with the SM120A horn and ST350 tweeters (which, BTW, will bolt onto the front of the SM120A), would be the serious shiznits...


Regards,
Gordon.

Well then,seems to me the educated consensus is " Dual SP15's "
So Dual SP15's it will be ! :yes:
Comments and suggestions welcomed !
To be continued...............
 
Well, if I hear a news report about something re-activating the Mid-Continental Rift and causing an earthquake, I'll know what the deal was. :D

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Side by side

These cabs are plenty big ! I'm thinking I should mount the SP15's side by side,so as to allow for a tighter grouping of the drivers.....:scratch2:
 
If you're running them in parallel (both up into the mids- i.e, both up to the point where they cross over to the mid horn), then you want to run them vertically aligned (one above the other). That will make the dispersion wider in the side-to-side direction, and narrower vertically. This will match the 120A horn better, and lead to a sound that is more consistent everywhere in the room.

This is a practice that Tom Holman of THX expounded on quite a lot; stacked woofers DO give a dispersion pattern that is easier to match to a horn. This is why most THX speakers had dual woofers stacked- at least in the days where THX were building most of the THX-approved stuff themselves. It is a practice that works.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
These cabs are plenty big ! I'm thinking I should mount the SP15's side by side,so as to allow for a tighter grouping of the drivers.....:scratch2:
Only if you run one of each pair in "0.5" mode to extend the bass response.... :nono:
 
If you're running them in parallel (both up into the mids- i.e, both up to the point where they cross over to the mid horn), then you want to run them vertically aligned (one above the other). That will make the dispersion wider in the side-to-side direction, and narrower vertically. This will match the 120A horn better, and lead to a sound that is more consistent everywhere in the room.

This is a practice that Tom Holman of THX expounded on quite a lot; stacked woofers DO give a dispersion pattern that is easier to match to a horn. This is why most THX speakers had dual woofers stacked- at least in the days where THX were building most of the THX-approved stuff themselves. It is a practice that works.

Regards,
Gordon.



Only if you run one of each pair in "0.5" mode to extend the bass response.... :nono:

Seems you gentlemen are like minded on this subject. And saying so almost simultaneously to boot.:D

Thank you ! I needed that ! :yes:
I pulled all the old fiberglass insulation out of 'em today. These are gonna need some work. They only have one real brace in each cabinet. A 2x4 running from side to side 'bout halfway up the back.
I'm thinking I will brace from the inside, and ad another layer of plywood to the outside of the sides.
What type of wood glue,brand etc. is recommended ?
 
Last edited:
Dual SP15s in each cabinet, F3 of 32Hz, no messing around required. Tune the cabinet to 33 Hz (two 8" diameter vents 2" long per cabinet, or three 5" diameter holes cut into a 3/4" thick baffle with NO vent pipes, will do it).

BTW: You want something that could potentially make a K-horn run and hide? This may be it. 101dB sensitivity at 1 watt!! And with dual 15", it can handle some POWER. That, with the SM120A horn and ST350 tweeters (which, BTW, will bolt onto the front of the SM120A), would be the serious shiznits...


Regards,
Gordon.

I'm afraid! :para: :D I heard these with one SP15 in the untuned cab that was around 9 cu. ft. The SP15s were impressive loaded that way. I can't imagine what two will be like in a properly tuned cab. Hell of a driver, no matter how you slice it.
 
A couple of good reasons....

..for rebuilding these cabs.
The design looks cool,but the build quality.....not so much. A lot of patchwork.
Aside from an almost total lack of framework or bracing,it looks like someone neglected to "measure twice,cut once".:D
It looks like they cut the holes for the SP12C's too big to start with,so they cut some rings out of particle board and glued them in place. (pic 1)
One bolt on each 12'' driver had to have a clearance notch cut into the frame.(pic 2)
The 30'' driver didn't have enough clearance on the bottom so the wood was gouged out of the frame to make them fit.(pic 3) The frame of the driver must have rested on the frame.
Oh yeah,that one lonely 2 x 4.....glued in,no screws !
 

Attachments

  • GEDC0002e.jpg
    GEDC0002e.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 73
  • GEDC0001d.jpg
    GEDC0001d.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 64
  • GEDC0004c.jpg
    GEDC0004c.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 62
  • GEDC0006b.jpg
    GEDC0006b.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 124
Can those original baffles be saved, just in case you run across those 30" EV woofs?

:scratch2: Don't look like its gonna work out that way !
Hunting blind anyone ?
Tomorrow I'm going to re-frame and brace them using 2 x 4's

Coming Soon : My Big Azz EV Build !
 

Attachments

  • GEDC0001e.jpg
    GEDC0001e.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 86
  • GEDC0003e.jpg
    GEDC0003e.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Hey Steven, are you talking about remaking the baffle board? We can do that no problem. George, who you've met at the SMAC meets, had a very cool jig he made for his router that would make short work of that project. Do you have drawings we can work from???
 
Hey Steven, are you talking about remaking the baffle board? We can do that no problem. George, who you've met at the SMAC meets, had a very cool jig he made for his router that would make short work of that project. Do you have drawings we can work from???

Not as of yet,kinda wingin' it at this point. I'm hoping to be to the baffle stage by next week end.
I can knock out a drawing as soon as I'm sure of measurements / placement etc.
Thanks Dennis.
 
I didn't really mean "drawings" to sound that official. I mean layout. Don't have to be done on CAD, but a general idea of what you want. Need to know what size holes you are looking for to see if the jig will fit.

Do you have any way of ripping new plywood for the baffle board?
 
I didn't really mean "drawings" to sound that official. I mean layout. Don't have to be done on CAD, but a general idea of what you want. Need to know what size holes you are looking for to see if the jig will fit.

Do you have any way of ripping new plywood for the baffle board?

I have a circular saw,and a jig saw.And I do have a general idea of what I want.
2 15'' holes,a rectangular hole for the SM120A ( 26" wide x 8 1/2" tall ) and three 5" diameter ports.
I'm not sure on tweeter placement just yet !:scratch2:
Here's a first draft,pretty close to scale I think...I used a paper scale...:D
Each line is approx. 3"

On tweeter placement : Gordon mentioned mounting them like the Sentry IV
I was thinkin' more like the Sentry 3 except Mirror Imaged ?...:scratch2:
Anyone care to share their thoughts on this ?
 

Attachments

  • GEDC0005d.jpg
    GEDC0005d.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 49
  • GEDC0001c.JPG
    GEDC0001c.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Sentry IV.jpg
    Sentry IV.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Could you lift the horn up a bit and drop the woofs down a bit and squeeze them in between? Or drop the horn and woofs down and put it on top of the horn...more conventional.
 
I have a circular saw,and a jig saw.And I do have a general idea of what I want.
2 15'' holes,a rectangular hole for the SM120A ( 26" wide x 8 1/2" tall ) and three 5" diameter ports.
I'm not sure on tweeter placement just yet !:scratch2:
Here's a first draft,pretty close to scale I think...I used a paper scale...:D
Each line is approx. 3"

On tweeter placement : Gordon mentioned mounting them like the Sentry IV
I was thinkin' more like the Sentry 3 except Mirror Imaged ?...:scratch2:
Anyone care to share their thoughts on this ?

if you want it layed out i can do in cad pretty easy. i can show just about any option you want. i also have a pair of sentry 3's on either side of computer so little guess work would be involved with horn and tweeter foot prints
 
Back
Top Bottom