• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The biggest Speaker cabinets I have ever seen !

Could you lift the horn up a bit and drop the woofs down a bit and squeeze them in between? Or drop the horn and woofs down and put it on top of the horn...more conventional.


Well,that pretty much how they were arranged,'cept for the 30 vs 2 x 15.
But a need to allow for the ports and some spacing between the 15's.
I'd like to keep the tweets as close to ear level as I can (42 to 45 inches OTG). If I put them on top they will be 'bout 53" off the ground and over my head when seated.
 

Attachments

  • GEDC0017.jpg
    GEDC0017.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 72
if you want it layed out i can do in cad pretty easy. i can show just about any option you want. i also have a pair of sentry 3's on either side of computer so little guess work would be involved with horn and tweeter foot prints

That would be cool,:yes:
The baffle dims are 53 x 37. I'm assuming these 15's should be slightly off center ?
The hole for the SM120 is 8 1/2" x 26"
The hole for the ST350 is 5" wide x 4 1/4 " tall
Ports are supposed to be 3, 5" diameter holes
If you could...
Show me the baffle with the tweet between the Mid horn and 15's
and with the tweet left of the 15's 'bout 40 inches from the bottom.
and with the tweet right of the 15's 'bout 40 inches from the bottom.
that'd be really cool.

Thanks Dog !
 
:scratch2: Don't look like its gonna work out that way !
Hunting blind anyone ?
Tomorrow I'm going to re-frame and brace them using 2 x 4's

Coming Soon : My Big Azz EV Build !

WOW those things are HUGE! It might just be the sheer size of them dwarfing the thickness of the wood, but if that's 3/4" MDF it seems a mighty thin for a cabinet/speaker of that size, volume, and SPL capability. I know it will be braced a ton with damping on the walls, but I can't help thinking that doubling up the walls might be a good idea?

They are heavy now, they will be heavy as hell if you do that...
 
WOW those things are HUGE! It might just be the sheer size of them dwarfing the thickness of the wood, but if that's 3/4" MDF it seems a mighty thin for a cabinet/speaker of that size, volume, and SPL capability. I know it will be braced a ton with damping on the walls, but I can't help thinking that doubling up the walls might be a good idea?

They are heavy now, they will be heavy as hell if you do that...

:yes: Yep,that's the plan.See post #31
In fact I have some laminated MDF that I'm going to cut a second floor panel out of as well.
The sides have ports in them that will need to be plugged.The second layer of plywood will go on the outside to facilitate a smooth surface for veneering !
Heavy doesn't bother me at all !
Thanks for the input !
 
Last edited:
I can comfirm they are huge, my wife lets me get away with murder with speakers in our house. However, she found these so big that they somehow surpassed murder.
 
Heh. Must have been like HOMEacide... (as in absolutely KILLING your living space) :D

Regards,
Gordon.
 
aw damn.. DAVE.. what the hell did you take those speakers apart for?

You still got those 30's?

Better be glad it was Stephen that got 'em, and not someone like me. I'd have been sorely tempted to replace the baffle, brace the ever loving hell out of them, and put a PAIR of Eminence Kilomax 18" subwoofers into each cabinet. F3 or 28 Hz, with power handling and output capacity (1200 watts per woofer, and sensitivity of 100dB @ 1w!) that could dislodge a building off of its foundation!! :D

In fact, they'd have been sitting on each side of the stage at Anime Weekend Atlanta each year, I'd think... :scratch2:

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I sold the 30s to pay for my family's medical insurance for 2 months while laid off.

Skip the kilomax's Gordon, step up to some TD18s :)
 
While you guys are here...

..any suggestions on driver placement ? i.e 15's off center,tweeter placement ?:scratch2:
 
I would probably go with the stock configuration if you have enough room to do the dual 15s vertically, I didn't read every post to know if that was going to be feasible. If not, slightly off setting the tweeter shouldn't cause too much havoc. I'd move the ports to being next to the woofers, stacked vertically and I suspect you could probably get away with 3 4" ports if that makes implementation easier. Or, perhaps 4 4" ports, two on either side of the woofers?
 
The question...

...I have about the tweeter in the middle is.
Is there no adverse effect in having them under the 6 inch "shelf " the SM120
creates. :scratch2:
I like the idea of four smaller ports on the sides of the woofers.
 
ok,

I did a quick layout and expect to change lots of times till feasible design is reached. I used 2 x 4's (1 3/4 x 3 1/2) for horizontal bracing and 15" diameters to represent woofs. The holes are 5" as you speced.

Even as large as that baffle is, its amazing how fast real estate evaporates.. The standard placement of the tweeter for the sentry ends up on top woofer.

please review and advise, i will be gone till the evening
 

Attachments

ok,

I did a quick layout and expect to change lots of times till feasible design is reached. I used 2 x 4's (1 3/4 x 3 1/2) for horizontal bracing and 15" diameters to represent woofs. The holes are 5" as you speced.

Even as large as that baffle is, its amazing how fast real estate evaporates.. The standard placement of the tweeter for the sentry ends up on top woofer.

please review and advise, i will be gone till the evening

Yeah,I never thought I'd be pressed for room. That's why I like Dave's idea for port placement.
The 2 x 4 braces will lay flat against the baffle,and run vertically top to bottom.
I'm going to frame for the baffle with 2 x 2's to allow them to be attached / screwed from inside the cabinets.Those will be backed up with 2 x 4's,again laying flat (4" side to the walls and bottom )
Thanks again PD it will be nice to see this worked this out on paper before doing any cutting !
I was hoping this would become an AK collaborative effort. :thmbsp:
BTW, I hoping to have one pair of SP15's re-coned by GordonW.
 
You could go with two ports in the lower corners and drop the woofs down even more to make room for the horns and tweets. I'd keep the midrange horn at ear level and put the tweet up high as the midrange is where most of the signal is coming from.

You could also put the woofs side by side up high, close off the bottom section just below the woofs, and add a subwoofer in the bottom box. Or just burn them and buy a Bose Life Style System....so many choises.
 
You could go with two ports in the lower corners and drop the woofs down even more to make room for the horns and tweets.

I like that idea,:yes:
GordonW has supplying me with numbers.....
I also have a more accurate box measurement based on the I.D of the box.
The new number is 28.37 feet
I'm going to keep track of the amount of volume taken up by the bracing just for the halibut.

You could also put the woofs side by side up high, close off the bottom section just below the woofs, and add a subwoofer.

GordonW and Zilch have me convinced "stacked is" the way to go.Besides with the SP15's,there really is no need for a sub.

Or just burn them and buy a Bose Life Style System....so many choices.

:yikes: :whip:
 
Last edited:
ok,

another couple of options, we'll reel it in to where you like it.

1st option, I dropped the woof down about as far as i would go just keep the horz brace in mind. i also added the tweeter in at the same relationship to mid horn as the sentry 3. (edit, could probably drop another inch or so)

2nd option, I dropped the woof the same as 1st option but also dropped the horn about as far as you would want to go. did not do anythig to the tweeter position, obviously nfg as drawn.

i know you mentioned shifting the woofers over which would really help with tweeter placement. just not sure what best practice would be, that would be the same case as vertical placement of the woofs.

take a look... i have the geometry drawn, moving it is easy.

also, i think the cut-out for the mid horn maybe a little wide, i drew bothe the tweet and horn max flange sizes in phantom lines.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Option one ..

..is looking like what I had in mind.
Now if GordonW would happen along,take a look and give us port size and placement.......:D
:scratch2:.. I think maybe at the 8 o'clock position to the left and 4 o'clock position to the right of each woofer.
With the tweeter a little lower and to the right a bit.Then I would mirror image the baffles.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom