• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The death of hi fidelity

My 7 year old nephew took a look at my main living room stereo rig ... 3 1/2 foot tall tower speakers and said "Uncle ---- why the big speakers?"

When I was younger and full of vim & vigor ... I would have passionately defended my choice of old school high fidelity gear.

Now ... I just shake my head and reply "that's what we bought in the old days". Don't feel the need to be a Hi Fidelity evangelist anymore.
 
Last edited:
Since I primarily listen to jazz and have heard many, many live performances over the years - I prefer reproduction that is as close to that live experience. I grew up with vinyl and still listen to a lot of it but I have a sizable collection of CD's as well. A percentage of both formats sound wonderful to me. I own some dogs as well. The format means little to me. The important part is the listening experience.
 
My 7 year old nephew took a look at my main living room stereo rig ... 3 1/2 foot tall tower speakers and said "Uncle ---- why the big speakers?"

When I was younger and full of vim & vigor ... I would have passionately defended my choice of old school high fidelity gear.

Now ... I just shake my head and reply "that's what we bought in the old days". Don't feel the need to be a Hi Fidelity evangelist anymore.

I'm asked that sort of question quite frequently. Your answer is very different from mine. I say, "They sound better". If they ask for a demo I give them one. Otherwise my first answer is all I say.
 
Consoles, all in one systems, portable systems from every generation since the invention of the battery powered AM radio. All have their place and served their purpose.

In my opinion, we should work to make sure that music is recorded and mastered on the highest quality, highest resolution medium available. It can be remastered to accommodate numerous home and portable applications but if we lose the resolution from the beginning, we can never get it back.

YMMV.....
 
I have great examples of hifi in our house, starting with a 1952 setup all the way to 2014. Would someone please wake me up when hifi dies?
 
I most definitely live in a different world than most of you. First off I really don't care what young people choose to listen to, as long as they have the freedom to choose what they like, as that's what is important. And I think young people have a lot more important things to be worried about today and in the future than if hi-fi is better or worse than in the past.:smoke:
 
Back
Top Bottom