• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The English Corvette - Our Triumph TR8

Snowflakes are dancing today. Fortunately, we got TRouble out of the driveway and into winter storage on Tuesday.

Spread mothballs all around to keep the wee ones away! (mousies ate the previous convertible top while it was stored in MA)


TR-Jan13Store-Heather-Garage-crop-9959.jpg
TR-Jan13Store-drivingIn-crop-9967.jpeg
TR-Jan13Store-BackView-HJ-crop-9971.jpg

Long-term plan is to put a garage beside the house, but until then - rented storage works.
(Fairfax city code forbids garage-tents and such).
 
Pulled the car out during a nice warm spell in March. Then it turned cold and VERY windy with storm alerts so I pulled her BACK into the rental space, just in case.

Then the club had their annual spring run down the George Wash Parkway to Mount Vernon, with a picnic lunch afterwards!

Club photog documented the ride with this video -

For the picnic, I wound up parking next to a white TR7 coup, and a very rare bird - an MGB/GT with the Rover 3.5l V8 like our TR8 has - -
That BGT was never a regular US import, this one was right hand drive!

TR7-TRouble-MGBGT-V8_0648.jpegCTR-Picnic-MGBGT-V8_0651.jpeg
There was another TR8 at the other end of the lot ... and a LOT of TR6s, Spitfires and such ...
 
Oh, just for grins - 2025 video of the Capital Triumph Registry's premier annual event - Britain On the Green car event at George Mason's mansion Gunston Hall.
The 2026 event is this weekend April 26 (and we'll be there with TRouble) ALL British marquees are there (Triumph, Rolls, Lotus, MG, Jag, Morgans, etc)
200+ cars are expected ... IF the weather holds!

 
Got together with club members to stuff the presentation pouches for BOG Sunday - 230 envelopes with programs, trinkets and memorabilia for the event -
and, since I picked TRouble up from the shop yesterday (Carb/fuel issues), I drove her over to see how she feels and to be sure all is well for Sunday.
Ran great!
Doug's TR250 - a very sharp car, next to TRouble.

2026-Stuffing-TRouble.jpg
 
Pulled the car out during a nice warm spell in March. Then it turned cold and VERY windy with storm alerts so I pulled her BACK into the rental space, just in case.

Then the club had their annual spring run down the George Wash Parkway to Mount Vernon, with a picnic lunch afterwards!

Club photog documented the ride with this video -

For the picnic, I wound up parking next to a white TR7 coup, and a very rare bird - an MGB/GT with the Rover 3.5l V8 like our TR8 has - -
That BGT was never a regular US import, this one was right hand drive!

View attachment 3748080View attachment 3748081
There was another TR8 at the other end of the lot ... and a LOT of TR6s, Spitfires and such ...
I see MGB Gt's here occasionally, but never with the BOP/ Rover 215. I did read a magazine article years ago in which the subject was an MGB with this engine swap, and a Jaguar independent rear suspension. It would be a fun combo.
 
I see MGB Gt's here occasionally, but never with the BOP/ Rover 215. I did read a magazine article years ago in which the subject was an MGB with this engine swap, and a Jaguar independent rear suspension. It would be a fun combo.
I have seen a couple MGBs over the years with the Rover 3.5 l Aluminum V8
Most have a kinda funky carb/manifold setup compared to the Eldelbrock/Holly 4bbl TR8 was modded with.

Mosaic-white-MGBGT-V8_9444.jpeg
Mosaic-Red-MGBGT-V8_9457.jpeg
 
The first pic looks like a kludged together adaptor to get side draft carbs to work on a down draft manifold. Can't see under the air cleaner on the second.
There are a LOT of aftermarket upgrades for the BOP/Rover Aluminum V8,
that 2nd MG setup looks more like the downdraft Holly 4bbl/Edelbrock manifold (Erson cam) setup Woody Cooper installed on our TR8 ...

TR8-Underhood-DS-Hoses-repathed_0825.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • HollyCarb-PassSide_0666.jpeg
    HollyCarb-PassSide_0666.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
The first pic looks like a kludged together adaptor to get side draft carbs to work on a down draft manifold. Can't see under the air cleaner on the second.

I think that's stock on the MGB-V8. Setting them all the way back on the engine like that. may well be the only way to get SU carbs to fit under the hood of an MGB.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
There are a LOT of aftermarket upgrades for the BOP/Rover Aluminum V8,
that 2nd MG setup looks more like the downdraft Holly 4bbl/Edelbrock manifold (Erson cam) setup Woody Cooper installed on our TR8 ...
I think that's stock on the MGB-V8. Setting them all the way back on the engine like that. may well be the only way to get SU carbs to fit under the hood of an MGB.

Regards,
Gordon.
Yes, there are a bunch of upgrades for this motor. And if GordonW is correct, and I'm inclined to think he is, they are sorely needed. That dogleg in the intake manifold runners will do nothing but kill airflow, and those little filters look pretty restrictive as well. If hood clearance was that much of an issue, they would have been better off re-working the motor mounts to lower the engine, or just putting a bubble in the hood as in the MGC. Or a pancake air cleaner like the red car has. A little 390 Holley on an Edelbrock or Offenhauser manifold should be superb, and I think a little lower than that setup for SU carbs.
 
Before we bought the Poseidon Green TR8 with the stock 3.5 motor, I did test drive a 1981 silver TR8 in CT with 79k and a 4.6 liter Rover motor upgrade ...
It had the motor upgrade and a Holly 600 4bbl via TWS Motors (formerly The Wedge Shop).
More power than I needed or wanted, priced a bit higher, and we decided we preferred the lower mileage (24k)
Poseidon Green metallic 1980 TR8 TWS motors was selling.
DB-SIlverTR8-Underhood_5771.JPG
 
I saw a twin sidedraft rig on a Rover at a car show, but it wasn't the two sidedrafts facing rearward setup. It had them facing sideways with one carb hanging over each valve cover. The part in the middle looked for all the world like a 4bbl flange on the bottom and a pair of 90 degree sweeps to the side draft carb flange. No idea if that was an OE thing or not, or how well it worked but it did look neat.

the linkage on the other hand looked like the stuff of nightmares.
 
One of the folks in the Triumph club still has the factory twin Stromberg setup on his 3.5l TR8 ...
its a bit more convoluted than the Holley 4bbl.
Toms-TR8-Underhood_8684.jpeg

(updated 4/28) And for the completeness fans!
Alan came to BOG Sunday 4/26 with his 1981 TR8, also in a Poseidon Green Metallic, maybe the last one made in that color.
He's got the tan canvas top, and the factory Fuel injection version of the motor - a very neat configuration.
BOG_FI-TR8-0774.jpeg

And compare to mine - same motor with the Holley 4bbl (edelbrock manifold)
TR8-Underhood-DS-Hoses-repathed_0825.jpeg
 
Last edited:
One of the folks in the Triumph club still has the factory twin Stromberg setup on his 3.5l TR8 ...
its a bit more convoluted than the Holley 4bbl.
View attachment 3748870
I'd wonder how often those carbs need molesting to keep them on task. I'd have to vote for the holley carb setup. Heck, even a Motorcraft 2100 2- barrel would be better than those little Strombergs, but that would scuttle concours eligibility.
 
We've had some great weather here in the DC area - makes for some fun top-down driving, I'm sure!

We live close to Ft Hunt Park and I used to walk our chocolate lab there once or twice a week.
 
Back
Top Bottom