• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Hong Kong Audio Experience

RGA

Super Member
I have lived in Hong Kong for the last 9 years and I posted a short post many years ago in the New Value thread but I think it may have more general interest that that. I will update with photos that I have taken directly but some of you might enjoy seeing some of the videos and pictures of the audiophile world of Hong Kong and Tokyo.

As some folks are stuck at home with Covid - I figure I would post the eye candy video of an Italian Audiophile wandering the shops of Hong Kong. He speaks a little English but it is mostly in Italian.

I have been in these shops many a time myself. See if you spot your favorite gear. And see if we are paying too much in Hong Kong.

$7,800 HKD +$1,000 USD (give or take a couple bucks). There is no sales tax in HK. Many of the shops are second hand outlets some are mixed. They usually come off the price 5-10% but that's about it.

This first shop is in the crazy busy electronics district called Sham Shui Po. He deals in second hand and the gear is usually in excellent shape.

 
Register to hide this ad
This building is in MongKok 18 or so floors of dealers in the famed Grancastle building.

Everyday is like an audio show here. I have been to and auditioned the gear he covers and I will post some of my phots and opinions on some of the rooms later.

 
In the video above (post 2) at 8:20 is the Sound Master Room - these guys make their own tube amplifiers and always sound nice - they tend to offer better sound than a lot of the more expensive competition and they do offer their amps in 110v. So perhaps before I move back to Canada I will pick up one of their offerings. Kind of looks like and sounds like Jadis but for 1/5th the price. And for 1/5th the price it's pretty close. They have been in business for decades and their store is usually packed. So they have something going for them.
 
Part two

Really cool Line Magnetic Amplifier - the tube rises and falls - save your money! 212 tubes are monstrously expensive. The amplifiers run ~$30,000 pr - they also sell Rogue Audio (American) and Melody Valve Audio (Australian - made in China) and Nagra.

Speakers carried are ATC, Rogers LS-3/5a, Zu Audio.

Watch the cool power amp at 4 minutes. It's like those Miata headlights - umm but it costs more than a Miata!

 
I managed to visit the Hi Fi Supermarket in Tokyo in January - my last vacation for awhile (stupid virus) and so I did spend an afternoon wandering this place as well as another one - don't ask me where lol. Tokyo is not as user friendly for English only speakers. If you want "easy" Asian travel - Hong Kong and Singapore are your best choices - everything is in English and most people are pretty fluent. That is NOT the case in Japan or South Korea.

Japanese prices $110,000 YEN = $1,020USD

 
Adding a few photos of some Hong Kong showrooms over the years

Reference 3a and MSB - Also Rosso Fiorentino loudspeakers (right triangular top) I actually like the sound of these more than new Reference 3a - I preferred the older 3a speakers from the late 1980s and 1990s.

index.php


index.php
 
Good intro there. The Grancastle Bldg can keep you occupied for a goodly length of time.

There are a few really high end places as well. I was with an overseas friend a while back, actually a long while back, pre COVID, and we went into one showroom where the cheapest speakers started at HKD 150,000 or so, about USD 19,000, amps where more expensive. We were ushered out the door firmly but politely when it was quickly established that A) we weren't serious buyers, and B) if we were, not at that level.
 
Other dealers

Clearaudio Statement turntable VTL amplifiers and humongous speakers. Tiny apartments and HUUUUGE speakers - They have their priorities straight here.

Chinese guys rent or buy commercial spaces and visit their stereo on the weekends! Forget mistresses - they visit their Clearaudio Statement turntables.

100495863_172396657521923_4621560401643962368_n.jpg


101070787_328957911417958_3776323190117105664_n.jpg


Same dealer also has

99285163_201636937484900_991773365293285376_n.jpg


99156896_1041677672901476_922541679347499008_n.jpg
 
Rogers' new LS-3/5a with Audio Note Cobra integrated and Roksan Radius 7 turntable

97996307_183667096179434_6341984516415946752_n.jpg


All Audio Note UK

97674129_930429614074132_8572613663205097472_n.jpg


Trenner and Freidl Showroom - I am hoping to stop by there next week for a full audition as Trenner and Freidl make one of my all time favorite loudspeakers in the "RA" but I would like to try one of their mre affordable entries (ahem) as the RA was $25,000US back in 2010. Oh and they won't fit in my apartment. The RA are the big ones. They can be placed near walls and in corners and have a down-firing woofer. Made in Austria

119778441_719680145426815_7833480495482072709_n.jpg


With their ViVa amplifiers from Italy (Although I bet you could guess they were from Italy).

119771291_326069885394566_4270188130609503095_n.jpg
 
More SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEkers

120042797_828283634667934_2913199751487430529_n.jpg


And I Audiokarma has a lot of vintage folks here so I don't want to leave you guys out - This place had the old Quad amps, Dynaco ST-70, McIntosh is always everywhere in Asia of course. MC275 they want $32,000 HKD - Opening ask. Hmm -

120200134_1248649942180023_4787278727785704596_n.jpg


120033503_363078598434984_3700963974603476396_n.jpg


Speakers with wooden drivers? Looks like it.
120085375_2798327300402698_7207346667626686692_n.jpg
 
You're gonna need a bigger wallet

YG Acoustics, Flagship Luxman power amplifiers, Pass Labs amplifiers - the speakers at that back that look weird are from Japan - and because it's from Japan they will probably be outstanding. And the price will be outstanding or should I say Astounding!

120274140_368517294182090_7224322876896120165_n.jpg

120034004_971436679999950_8678486559132998069_n.jpg
 
Oh but wait - perhaps you need an even bigger wallet for this room - the big amp there in the middle is I think from Burmeister and the monthly electric bill probably costs more than my first car. Well that was a Ford Escort - so probably not TOOOOO bad. It's the cables - what a nightmare! Speakers are Focal - I guess the Orange one would be so it could match your Porsche Turbo S? Although if you buy the speakers you might have to sell for a Mustang GT - they make a matching colour!

120101721_711184512809794_8348804946570390184_n.jpg
 
Ahh - now for a room that was not crazy priced (relatively speaking anyway) McIntosh amplifier with Fyne speakers. Apparently some engineers left Tannoy to start Fyne - and I certainly got a Tannoy vibe. As I like Tannoy this was quite an agreeable pairing as McIntosh can sometimes be a little rounded - but this can aid a speaker like Tannoy that can lean a little thin and bright - I liked it. I'd still rather a McIntosh tube amplifier instead.

120198239_345468130117180_6985376678918941798_n.jpg


120190871_1050144648739646_1032520203795690079_n.jpg
 
The "it mystifies me why people like this stuff" room. The prices are nuts - the sound is extreme hi-fi - the female jazz singer on the super hi-fi disc is center - ooh ahh - but there is no breath of life - no soul. It sounds so technical it takes the joy out of everything. The fellow next to me leaned over and said it looks Chinese - like tacky. I could live with that but I sat for around 15-20 minutes - classical, vocals and it escapes me. I would have tried to stay longer if there had been something to hold onto. I get the sense it was designed from a textbook - everything is there for you to say "check out that great image placement or non resonant cabinet. Okay but it reminded me of an airbrushed photo of a beautiful woman - She looks perfect but it's not reality - it is artifice.

Speakers are from Vivid Audio - basically engineers left B&W and formed this company. Dan D'Agostino amplifiers - he is formerly of Krell. I never much liked Krell or B&W so my reaction is somewhat the same as my reaction to Krell/B&W. Anyway - this set-up is well over $100,000USD

120223608_1290429291306671_2129360965760752159_n.jpg


120108939_2671462206501928_793101785513685803_n.jpg

Notice the tape on the floor - they spent a LOT of time setting up these speakers so they are as good as they can possibly sound in the treated room.
 
Take one zero off from the above Vivid Audio/D'Agostino set up and here IMO is a nicer sounding rig - Line Magnetic - unfortunately I was blabbing to someone and forgot to take down the name of the speakers. I have heard this and a low end pair from the same outfit and liked both. They have promise.

I bought my big Line Magnetic 219ia from this shop - it is at the back dead center it weighed 55kg so in the end it was just too ridiculous for me.

120117711_755603595000266_7957122433002132983_n.jpg


120019326_725245874694582_3104367553089544759_n.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom