• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Hong Kong Audio Experience

Amazing. I find it incredible that hifi is still clearly mainstream in Asia, whereas in the UK it's considered, for the most part, an obsolete niche as technology has moved forward. I suppose it's representative of a culture that values quality.
 
I dunno if those Contrast Audio speakers sound any good, but man, I see one of the owners/employees on Reddit and FB all the time, and he really comes off pretty badly. He pretty much straight up says that any speaker driver or designs that use more than a single cap, OR inductor, are sub par. You can build the best sounding speakers in the world, but if you act like a supercilious ass online, it's not going to help your business.
 
This building is in MongKok 18 or so floors of dealers in the famed Grancastle building.

Everyday is like an audio show here. I have been to and auditioned the gear he covers and I will post some of my phots and opinions on some of the rooms later.


AK has/had a member who lived in HK for decades and amassed a world-class collection of audio gear over the years so yeah, we've been told and shown the splendors of HK audio shops. He's no longer 'active' @ the site so I'll not bother "cc'ing" him to this post, etc. If he happens to find it, so be it.

Of course I missed all of that when I was in HK, on military leave, circa 1985. <amaged to find some trouble in the very district - Mong Kok - about which you posted. Mong Kok was kinda "triad-ish" in the 1980s. Maybe still is?
 
  • Like
Reactions: RGA
Amazing. I find it incredible that hifi is still clearly mainstream in Asia, whereas in the UK it's considered, for the most part, an obsolete niche as technology has moved forward. I suppose it's representative of a culture that values quality.

That's how we've seen HK for year, not only re: audio gear but musical instruments (very avid collctor communityof "vintage American" geetars, esp. Gibson & Fender, in HK), as well as vintage vinly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RGA
Various audio shops
Triode Corp Japan (Red and silver tube amps) - Magnepan, Paradigm, Vivid Audio

index.php


Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubes

index.php


Cayin amplifiers and Acoustic Zen speakers (left)

index.php


Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeakers

index.php


index.php

Very nice photos, @RGA . :thumbsup:
 
Of course I missed all of that when I was in HK, on military leave, circa 1985. <amaged to find some trouble in the very district - Mong Kok - about which you posted. Mong Kok was kinda "triad-ish" in the 1980s. Maybe still is?

Mong Kok still is. But in reality triads are involved in pretty much all levels of Hong Kong, and all districts in one way or another. Some members are even hifi enthusiasts. Apparently, so I have been told ...
 
It seems like there are plenty of folks out there who have a bit of money...

Seems like even among those who have money here in the US that audio isn't really a priority... Big houses, fancy cars and maybe even certain electronics like giant TVs, but audio gear not so much...
 
Thanks for the looks. Seeing the variety, this thought came to mind. There are so many ways to build a mouse trap.

BTW, ever run into Arkay?
 
It's just good to know that high quality music is still a priority somewhere in the world ..
And it's obviously a good to place to go and audition some gear provided that you have the time and half a million frequent flyer miles ..
Covid is a serious impediment tho ..
 
Nice pics.

I was very lucky to have AK member @No Money show me around some of these shops a couple of years back. I remember all the glitz and glamour (and an amplifier with tubes as big as milk bottles!) but one thing that really impressed us both was a very big sound coming out of a very small pair of Gamut loudspeakers.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: RGA
Nice pics of great gear in real shops, makes me jealous.

But it would take more than all the gear in the world to make me want to live in that ant farm.

Absolutely - but think of it like any city - there is a downtown core which is packed with people and surrounding areas where it's pretty wide open.

As a tourist - I saw all the attractions and the "rat race" with so so SOOOO many people scurrying around the subway system and the packed areas like MongKong and Sham Shui Po and Central.

I had my mom come out and visit me for over a month and she was roundly impressed with HK - perhaps because once away from the tourist attractions you can more or less live without a lot of people around. It will never be farm country here mind you but my felt that my flat and island was like living at a 5 star resort.

And it sort of is in a way. I was fortunate that a Penthouse suite opened up in one of the buildings here and it includes a rooftop balcony so I can have a BBQ or put a small pool up there or a vegetable garden.

But I can walk out of my apartment and a white sandy beach - no rocks - is 2 minutes away. We have 5 swimming pools (2 indoor and 2 large hot tubs - one pool can be rented out for private parties. We have a 6 lane bowling alley, 6 tennis courts, a gymnasium for volleyball or basketball, a pool/snooker room, a squash court, workout gyms - three, personal trainers, a library. An additional portable library - a vehicle comes at certain days and you can return or select books. A portable veterinarian - so the truck comes and you can get your pet washed or checked out. Bike riding and hiking areas.

There is a ferry that runs every hour to the downtown core of Hong Kong (25 minutes) so you can go from relatively serenity to crazy busy in 25 minutes. There are no cars allowed on this island to keep pollution and noise to a minimum. Deliveries are allowed but only between the hours of 10am-4pm and taxis are allowed but only at two pick-up and drop-off spots. There are gates with guards and the fine is hefty if a person turns off to this island.

This outdoor pool (I'll be going this evening as it has been reopened) has two nice waterfalls - it is connected to an indoor pool (laps) and hot tub.
p_6327227_5%255B1%255D.jpg


One indoor pool

ohLA_U-mFhPpBHzNH75AB9SMylv3nHyso7w43AAR8mLD44w7zujq5RwHsW2eRKfPPMj87MBrbcZ1NhWKm8hyMyUDv9TyeoH6Mkk7JLhx6y5dxnUSMBY6TU-G-W8e8_w


tsing-ma-bridge-over-ma-wan-beach-tsing-ma-bridge-ma-wan-park-island-hong-kong-140097626.jpg


It's not a bad little island

 
From Stereo.net - photos from the Grancastle building that I missed or had lousy phone photos.

This seems to be a dealer of several brands but talking to one of the sales staff it appears to be the "overflow" dealer. So they carry new products - but when their main dealer has too much stuff they sell it here. I own Audio Note gear so they have their main dealer - this dealer carries just a few items and another dealer carries only the entry level products. Space being a premium. This store also sells used items. ARC/Kondo/B&W. They change inventory fairly often so every time I go the brands may be the same but the models are not.

P1040640.thumb.JPG.9c7cdddbc7466b39b30f4941df500a4e.JPG


P1040641.thumb.JPG.5c044884b5cac70eca4eb10b1e8e76a0.JPG


P1040639.thumb.JPG.c84ee0f5b7fd65145464784bee728d4a.JPG


P1040638.thumb.JPG.d2f88ea920c4eacd510264a3b72c3176.JPG
 
Continued - stereo.net photos.

P1040653.thumb.JPG.a98b12a0dcf2f05a66d1bbc584fb1aa7.JPG


IMG_5499.thumb.JPG.f37ebe307309b8835e84f2333875e7ad.JPG


Have things you want to sell? The consignment stores take 10% of your sale. That is not too bad. My TT2 turntable is at one of these shops.

P1040656.thumb.JPG.9f55ebc4075afb4e82186cb5390f41ea.JPG
 
It's not all about the gear - take a trip to the music stores Japan

Japan loves Jazz (in English) Cassettes are going for some big money in Asia - so don't chuck em out - just in case!

And boomboxes are still alive in Japan - lol - wow



If this covid stops I highly recommend you save your pennies and visit Japan. Amazing place.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom