• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "Knob-to-Button Ratio" as a measure "Vintage-ness" in receivers!

I hate to be "that guy", but looking at that beaded chain hanging down on your Cambridge Azur 651A drives the OCD side of me insane. Just the thought of it scratching the face or edge of it makes me cringe. lol IDK, that's just me I guess. Cheers. ;)


Yeah, I noticed that after I took the photo. It's my daughter's library card, not normally there. You didn't mention that they aren't squared up either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
^Yeah, I just didn't want to come off like an ass. lol ;) I'm actually not super OCD about the little things, and the world is just organized chaos anyway, so I manage. lolz ;) Thanks for being a good sport. Cheers. :)
 
Yeah, I noticed that after I took the photo. It's my daughter's library card, not normally there. You didn't mention that they aren't squared up either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, they're not squared up. What's up with that?:D
 
Back when I worked in a stereo shop in the mid-70s, all of the sales guys used common metrics to gauge whether a new receiver would be a good seller. Here's hte rollup

Knobs, Lights, and Meters:

Knobs: Had to have plenty - even if they were a set-once type of knob. Bonus points for large, heavily weighted knobs. Minus points for tiny knobs. Too many switches, however, and the receiver appeared over complicated and would scare off buyers - minus points for more than about 6.

Lights: Must be glowing, not bright. Bonus points for more than one color. Extra bonus multiplier for more than 3 different colors well coordinated across the front panel.

Meters: The bigger the better. Back lighting behind the meter is a must. Colors must be coordinated with other panel lights. Bonus for arrow heads on pointers and Peak Hold facility.

I can tell you that those evenings, after work, when the newly-arrived Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, etc, models arrived were very special and remain in memory some 40 years later. There was much discussion after opening the box and plugging it in as to who would be attracted and why. It all centered on how they would look on the display shelves. BTW, Sansui was the typical winner of these beauty contests.

Cheers,

David
 
Yamaha RX-V2092:

Knobs: 5 (one volume knob on the faceplate and four knobs under the control door)
Switches: 0
Buttons: 42 (30 on the faceplate and 12 under the control door)
Meters: 0
 
Last edited:
Some other gear acquired since my last post (from what I can remember):

Adcom GFA-6000:


Knobs: 0
Switches: 0
Buttons: 1
Meters: 0

Audio Reflex Model 28747:


Knobs: 7
Switches: 9
Buttons: 0
Sliders: 5
Meters: 2

Akai AA-5500:


Knobs: 7
Switches: 8
Buttons: 0
Meters: 0

Clairtone AR-650:


Knobs: 6
Switches: 6
Buttons: 5
Meters: 2

Concord CR-250:


Knobs: 8
Switches: 6
Buttons: 1
Meters: 2

Harman Kardon AVR-7000:


Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 17
Meters: 0

Kenwood KR-3010:

Knobs: 7
Switches: 0
Buttons: 3
Meters: 2

Kenwood KR-7050:

Knobs: 7
Switches: 4
Buttons: 7
Meters: 4

Nikko 8085:

Knobs: 6
Switches: 9
Buttons: 0
Meters: 2

Pioneer SX-434:

Knobs: 7
Switches: 0
Buttons: 4
Meters: 1

Realistic STA-2290:

Knobs: 8
Switches: 0
Buttons: 23
Meters: 3 LED (L/R power and signal strength)

Realistic STA-80:

Knobs: 5
Switches: 0
Buttons: 5
Sliders: 2
Meters: 2

Rotel RA-812:

Knobs: 6 (3 of them are concentric for an actual total of 9)
Switches: 7
Buttons: 1
Meters: 2

Sony STR-6800D:

Knobs: 8
Switches: 2
Buttons: 11
Meters: 2

Sony STR-DB930:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 31
Meters: 0

Sony STR-DB940:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 35
Meters: 0

Yamaha A-760:

Knobs: 8
Switches: 0
Buttons: 6
Sliders: 1
Meters: 0

Yamaha AVX-1000DSP:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 9
Meters: 0

Yamaha DSP-A3090:

Knobs: 6
Switches: 0
Buttons: 8
Meters: 0

Yamaha RX-V750:

Knobs: 3
Switches: 0
Buttons: 19
Meters: 0

Yamaha RX-V1300:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 20
Meters: 0

Yamaha RX-V1400:

Knobs: 3
Switches: 0
Buttons: 18
Meters: 0

Yamaha RX-V1500:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 18
Meters: 0

Yamaha RX-V2300:

Knobs: 5
Switches: 0
Buttons: 17
Meters: 0

Yamaha RX-V2500:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 18
Meters: 0
 
Last edited:
Knobs/Buttons
My first receiver - Yamaha CR-600 - 8/6
My newest receiver - Onkyo 8011 - 4/25
 
More stuff I've owned over the years. The Luxman L-30 was the centerpiece of my first stereo setup, and I still have it. I'll probably never get rid of it for sentimental reasons...

Denon AVR-2500:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 35
Meters: 0

Denon DRA-37:

Knobs: 3
Switches: 0
Buttons: 24
Meters: 0

Harman Kardon 730:

Knobs: 6
Switches: 0
Buttons: 10
Meters: 1

Harman Kardon A401:

Knobs: 5
Switches: 0
Buttons: 16
Meters: 2 LED (L/R power)

Harman Kardon HK3390:

Knobs: 3
Switches: 0
Buttons: 16
Meters: 0

Kenwood 107VR:

Knobs: 2
Switches: 0
Buttons: 30
Meters: 0

Luxman L-30:

Knobs: 7 (one is concentric for a total of 8)
Switches: 5
Buttons: 1
Meters: 0

Luxman R-115:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 33
Meters: 0

NAD C 316BEE:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 8
Meters: 0

Pioneer SA-500:

Knobs: 6 (one of them is concentric for a total of 7)
Switches: 0
Buttons: 2
Meters: 0

Pioneer SX-750:

Knobs: 7
Switches: 6
Buttons: 1
Meters: 2

Pioneer SX-838:

Knobs: 6
Switches: 6
Buttons: 15
Meters: 2

Pioneer SX-850:

Knobs: 5
Switches: 13
Buttons: 9
Meters: 2

Pioneer SX-950:

Knobs: 5
Switches: 13
Buttons: 10
Meters: 2

Sherwood S-7650P:

Knobs: 7
Switches: 6
Buttons: 0
Meters: 2

Technics SA-626:

Knobs: 4
Switches: 0
Buttons: 26
Meters: 2 LED (volume and signal strength)

I know there's a ton more stuff, but I just can't think of them all.
 
Last edited:
JVC JR-S301

Meters: 4
Buttons: 14
Knobs: 1/2 (it's a knob masquerading as a slider)
Sliders: 7

NAD 7100

Meters: 2 )LED)
Buttons: 27
Knobs: 4
Switches: 1
 
Back
Top Bottom