• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Mid-Century/Danish thread

Was snooping on CL today and found this. I looks like some of the stuff you've been posting, so I thought I'd give you the heads up. They want $400 for it.

If interested, go to CL California "Monterey Bay", antiques, and do a search for "Bassett".
 

Attachments

  • bassett.jpg
    bassett.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 78
Bent, that is a cool piece!

Because I'm limited to 6 pics per post in the above, here is the dresser and mirror my wife found the first day (see "Problem 1" in my previous post):

"Problem 1: I showed the pics in this thread to my wife the very morning a 3-day community wide garage sale started in a neighboring town (over 500 individual garage sales with internet maps and uniform parkway signage). My wife went Friday and picked up a neat no-name Danish inspired dresser that was the original furniture in a mid '50s model home. It came with matching funky king-sized headboard (we can't use as we only have a queen mattress) and a really cool mirror. $30 for all three pieces."

While the dark pics of the dresser don't show it very well, the legs are reminiscent of my parent's Selig chairs and the dresser's center panel slides to either side to reveal additional drawers:
May,  June 2010 056.JPG

The matching mirror:
May,  June 2010 058.JPG
 
Last edited:
Ok. Headboard has been purchased. Picking it up tomorrow. I'm pretty excited, largely because it also means new bed. It's 70's according to the guy at the shop.

4667516263_340c26a891.jpg
 
A few recent pickups:
Chrome kitchen canisters. I've seen all types of canisters, but this design is new to me:
canisters.jpg


Inland Glass coffee carafe, in original box:
inland_carafe.jpg


Dansk Designs iron candleholder and box of twelve super-thin candles:
dansk_candles.jpg
 
Dansk Designs iron candleholder and box of twelve super-thin candles:
dansk_candles.jpg

there's some neat 3 hole candle holders made in germany, that stack.

I have 3 of them somewhere. if you have a dozen or so, you can put toghether a huge sculptural pile of them.
they also take those super thin candle holders.

IMG_0434.jpg


I like those thin candles.
 
That looks like a cool candleholder setup - and an extreme fire hazard. :D

Here's a picture of two chairs from my HeyWake knockoff dinette set. The original vinyl held up well for 60 years, but it's time to recover them. Original on the right, replacement on the left. I know that the pattern isn't lined up quite right on the front of that chair, but the front of the cushion is a bit out of square. The one I did today lines up perfectly.
chairfab2.jpg
 
there's some neat 3 hole candle holders made in germany, that stack.

I have 3 of them somewhere. if you have a dozen or so, you can put toghether a huge sculptural pile of them.
they also take those super thin candle holders.

IMG_0434.jpg


I like those thin candles.

I have 15 of these Nagel candleholders that I have collected over the years. Never have found one of the round flat dishes, It is truely a fun candle set up because you can alter the shape, or creat two candle stands for the same table, etc.

I don't think these are any more of a fire hazard than any othe candle, when playing with fire we must use caution.
 
A few recent pickups:
Chrome kitchen canisters. I've seen all types of canisters, but this design is new to me:
canisters.jpg


Inland Glass coffee carafe, in original box:
inland_carafe.jpg


Dansk Designs iron candleholder and box of twelve super-thin candles:
dansk_candles.jpg


I have that exact set of canisters except mine are green. Grabbed them at an antiques shop. I see incomplete or beat up sets from time to time in thrifts.

Nice finds.:thmbsp:
 
Went to a Estate sale a few weeks back saw this lamp. But they wanted $20 and I only had $10, they would not deal and I was heading to work so I left it, kick myself, went back later and they were closed up.
Today driving by and saw the same estate sale, walked in and there is was now only $5. I grabbed it.
Goes well with my chair.
 

Attachments

  • new lamp.jpg
    new lamp.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 141
Here's the only Mid Century I have.. Picked this up a couple weeks ago..

Knoll Charles Pollock chairs, and a beautiful walnut table..

attachment.php
 
p6170003.jpg


My recently acquired Frazier Monte Carlos (first generation) hooked up to the T-Amp and iPod in the dining room. 1950s MCM styling all the way.

These were (IIRC) designed by Jack Frazier and Ed May before JBL lured May away, but were manufactured in the mid/late 1950s. The classic Monte Carlo is a bigger speaker (about the same size as a KLH 17), and doesn't have the then Frazier signature three-sided case.
 
Went to a Estate sale a few weeks back saw this lamp. But they wanted $20 and I only had $10, they would not deal and I was heading to work so I left it, kick myself, went back later and they were closed up.
Today driving by and saw the same estate sale, walked in and there is was now only $5. I grabbed it.
Goes well with my chair.

Sound of jaw hitting the floor.
 
Went to a Estate sale a few weeks back saw this lamp. But they wanted $20 and I only had $10, they would not deal and I was heading to work so I left it, kick myself, went back later and they were closed up.
Today driving by and saw the same estate sale, walked in and there is was now only $5. I grabbed it.
Goes well with my chair.

Nice lamp! Particularly for $5. I'm old enough to remember them when they were new.
 
Went to a Estate sale a few weeks back saw this lamp. But they wanted $20 and I only had $10, they would not deal and I was heading to work so I left it, kick myself, went back later and they were closed up.
Today driving by and saw the same estate sale, walked in and there is was now only $5. I grabbed it.
Goes well with my chair.

looks like a mini arcos lamp.
cool.
 
Back
Top Bottom