• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The official AK golf thread

Trying to watch the Solheim Cup, but Sky Sports have turned it into a "dog and pony show," lots of rapid cut aways, slow-mos, boring interviews, etc., as they often do with major sports, commentators also with too much to say, so I can only take a few minutes at a time.
What's with the pop music in the stands? I can't see how this helps the competitors, the spectators are noisy enough without it.
 
I had an interesting day at the course last Thursday, I played not bad so after the round my playing partner and I went a had a couple of beers after the round. I have fairly bad knees from 30+ years of installing tile for a living. I finished my beer and was getting up from the table to leave and my left knee just buckled out from underneath me and I went down on my back going OW! OW! OW!!! Young fellow that works the counter comes out to check on me and when he hears it's my knee comes back out with a big bag of ice and puts it on my knee. I tell him I'll be fine and could he just give me a hand up, I'll be on my way home. He says no way, we've got an ambulance on the way for you (I guess the course was just trying to cover their asses for liability issues). A while later they get there, ask me a hundred health questions and load me up for a trip to the local hospital. They check me all out for a while and other than a very sore knee, call my wife to come and pick me up, she brought my buddy so we could stop by the course and pick up my 67 Chevy, because there was no way the wife was going to let me drive after that and I was not going to leave my car there overnight. Not a fun day. Going out tomorrow to see how my knee holds up. ;)
 
^ hopefully your knee is doing better @55Redneck. Nice fall weather in BC this weekend so hopefully you got out to hit some balls.

It was a pretty fun Ryder Cup. That 16th hole driveable par 4 is a great hole for a Ryder Cup. I would have liked to have been able to watch it with European TV commentators - Paul Azinger gets on my nerves.
 
Great Cup.
Not sure if I was Ricky that I would have conceded that clinching putt to Fleetwood.
Max Homa was locked in and fun to watch.
The press’s constant drilling for drama, and fabrications, was nauseating.
 
Another golf season done. Played my final round of the year last Friday and my course is officially closing after today. My late season knee problems did NOT help my game at all, it's my left knee that's the worst and being a right handed golfer I found that I was doing more of an arm swing to avoid following through on my left leg. My scores went into the toilet after my ambulance ride day. Another cold winter of chipping and putting in my shop/music room. Only the second year in the last 10 I didn't break 90, shot 91 twice this year.
 
My buddy and I finally moved up to the senior tees a couple of weeks ago (we’re 71). I shot in mid 80s from the whites this year, playing great for me. The old guy tees are an incredible advantage on our home course. Great to have so many par and birdie putts.
 
Another golf season done. Played my final round of the year last Friday and my course is officially closing after today. My late season knee problems did NOT help my game at all, it's my left knee that's the worst and being a right handed golfer I found that I was doing more of an arm swing to avoid following through on my left leg. My scores went into the toilet after my ambulance ride day. Another cold winter of chipping and putting in my shop/music room. Only the second year in the last 10 I didn't break 90, shot 91 twice this year.

Played Thursday here at the Jersey Shore. Perfect golf weather; 70 and sunny. I played ok but it didn't show up in my score because I can't chip. Otherwise I hit the ball well, especially my drives which were straight all day. Very difficult course and enjoyed it very much.
 
Played Wednesday at The Hermitage in Nashville, was a beautiful fall day and the course (General's Retreat) was in great shape. Playing tomorrow morning with my son in Hickory, NC at a pretty nice course, weather also looking promising. This is my second year back after a 25+ year layoff, not back to my previous levels (12 hcp) but having a lot of fun. When I replaced my old clubs last year I gave them to my son as he was interested in picking up the game, we play just about every Sunday here in NC, great father-son time (and trash talking :))
 
I broke the face of my 6 iron. Clubs are Taylormade P-790 2021 which are hollow construction with foam insert. Face cracked and stove in. Roger Dunn took it back for warranty work from Taylormade. I had re-gripped and they said they will match it. Top service. Looking back at this, the 6 iron never sounded right so I think a crack was propagating for some time. Roger Dunn said this happens but it is rare.
 
I broke the face of my 6 iron. Clubs are Taylormade P-790 2021 which are hollow construction with foam insert. Face cracked and stove in. Roger Dunn took it back for warranty work from Taylormade. I had re-gripped and they said they will match it. Top service. Looking back at this, the 6 iron never sounded right so I think a crack was propagating for some time. Roger Dunn said this happens but it is rare.

Why do Taylor Made clubs seem to break the most? Whenever I see or hear of a broken club it's always them.
 
Why do Taylor Made clubs seem to break the most? Whenever I see or hear of a broken club it's always them.

Maybe it's because there are so many TM drivers out there. I hear about drivers breaking all the time so I don't think it is a TM problem. Never heard of or seen a busted iron head. If I break another head, I'm going back to solid core irons.
 
Maybe it's because there are so many TM drivers out there. I hear about drivers breaking all the time so I don't think it is a TM problem. Never heard of or seen a busted iron head. If I break another head, I'm going back to solid core irons.

My daughter's BF has broken his TM driver 4 times. They have made good on it every time but jeez.
 
At the start of the season this year I was playing with the sister and BIL of my buddy that passed before the season began. BIL had just purchased a brand new full set of Pings from our pro shop, he didn't even try them out on the range before the round. First time he brings the driver out the head flies off on the follow through, it ended up about 30 yards behind the T-box, I heard it whistle past my ear on the way by. If I were him I wouldn't be happy after dropping 1200-1500 bucks on the set. :(
 
At the start of the season this year I was playing with the sister and BIL of my buddy that passed before the season began. BIL had just purchased a brand new full set of Pings from our pro shop, he didn't even try them out on the range before the round. First time he brings the driver out the head flies off on the follow through, it ended up about 30 yards behind the T-box, I heard it whistle past my ear on the way by. If I were him I wouldn't be happy after dropping 1200-1500 bucks on the set. :(

My daughter's BF is a great kid. He's the son I never had and unfortunately he has a father who isn't a real father and I'll leave it at that. One night we walked into the golf store and he picked up a TM driver. I think it was the M4 at the time. He was drooling over it so I told him to swing it. When he did, he crushed the ball. I bought it for him on the spot. That following year, the face broke. Split in half. TM replaced it with the new SIM, he was even more thrilled. Then the SIM did the same thing. Last year, the hosel broke off the club head twice. Standing on the tee box, took a clean swing both times, snapped. TM made good on it every time, but I think this is a problem with their quality.
 
Funny, I've never had a problem with Taylormade clubs, but then again I've only had a few and they are/were older. TM SLDR 12.5 degree driver I gifted to a golf buddy who was still hitting the original Calloway Big Bertha, and I have a TM 3wood/3 rescue in my bag that I really like. Perhaps I haven't had problems with them because I don't hit the ball hard enough to do any damage anymore. ;) I also have a TM pitching wedge which is a backup in case anything happens to my beloved 1981 Titleist accuflo+ P-wedge.
 
...TM replaced it with the new SIM, he was even more thrilled. Then the SIM did the same thing. Last year, the hosel broke off the club head twice. Standing on the tee box, took a clean swing both times, snapped. TM made good on it every time, but I think this is a problem with their quality.

Sim driver has a known design flaw in the adjustable weight channel. Cracks form in the same place in the Titanium casting. There is plenty of discussion about this in the forums. In the used barrels, this crack is present in most SIM drivers. This being said, I have two good condition (not cracked) examples which I will nurse along.
 
Back
Top Bottom