• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official Kenwood KD 500/550 and 600/650 Owner's Thread

I've owned quite a few KD500s and had no issues with the OEM mats. In fact, they are one of the better quality vintage OEM mats I've used. The mat on my KD500 is in great condition and see no need to change.
Same here. Mine's fine. It's like the day I bought the TT back in '77.
 
A new question for the KD-500 owners... How is your table/tonearm grounded? I just realized that the post on the plinth connects ground to the power supply board, and the tonearm isn't grounded at all. The tonearm ground wire was clipped at some point. I reconnected it and got a hum. Tried just the tonearm and got a hum. Back to just the plinth and no hum! Is it odd to not ground the tonearm?
As Isaac c. mentioned, I do the same. I have a ground lug on the back of my TT and run a wire to it and attach to the ground lug on the pre-amp along with the ground wire from the audio wires from my tonearm. BTW, I always get a slight hum when I touch the lift lever on the headshell. Always have.
 
The KD-500/550 mat is as described above a few rings of pyramid points in the contact area. Here is a pic of one from a CAM sale
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...n-681eee-cartridge-amp-stylus/images/2579279/

It seems different from most other KD mats and with the continued work on better turntables, Kenwood seems to change to different mats on their better tables with each new introduction. The KD-600/650 has an even thicker mat, large holes on the bottom leading to small holes on top, I got no idea why. It is obvious that the better tables have nice mats probably with more thought going into them than the lesser tables which seem to have just generic inexpensive mats that probably work just fine for that purpose.

If you need a mat, I would seek out one of the known good sounding mats available in the aftermarket, Herbies comes to mind but I would want to try different mats on the table before buying if possible. We did a listening session with 4 mats on a Thorens TD-160 Super and the stock mat was not good enough to make the second round. The other three Herbies, clean and clear, Platter Matter, thick bass sound and Marcof was a brittle high end. It makes a difference what table they are on, too as these three showed much less difference when used on a TD-125 to the point of very little difference. I attribute that to the vast difference in the platform the platter/tonearm are mounted to in these two tables. The KDs will be different again but the mass of the platter, plinth and arm will probably be similar to the TD-125, not letting a lot of sonic difference through to the tonearm.

I don't have the platter matter anymore but can repeat this test on the KD-500 or KD-600 with the mats I do have when I get these tables armed and nailed and ready to go.
I think most mats are fine, even the hard rubber and aluminum rings on an old BSR TT. It's just that us audiophiles can get really anal about pretty much anything. And why you can find three meter speaker cables for $70,000. :)

I've never really cared about the mat except for two criteria: Looks and VTA.
 
I think most mats are fine,
That is one way to go about it. If I hadn't done the comparison on the TD-160 and heard the difference I might not think a lot about mats but I had a few different kinds and they made a world of difference, three with obvious sonic faults and one with faults we didn't notice as much. Since this test did not repeat its results with the TD-125, it says mats are very turntable specific and unless one tries them they may not determine if there is a difference.

I still have a few different mats and when I get new to me tts, I'll check what the sound is like with them. Another possible large, small or no change in the sound of the system. Enjoy the music however you want.
 
I just realized I never posted a picture. Here:

275807532_10224489750044177_6078756607013549414_n.jpg

very schveet
 
That is one way to go about it. If I hadn't done the comparison on the TD-160 and heard the difference I might not think a lot about mats but I had a few different kinds and they made a world of difference, three with obvious sonic faults and one with faults we didn't notice as much. Since this test did not repeat its results with the TD-125, it says mats are very turntable specific and unless one tries them they may not determine if there is a difference.

I still have a few different mats and when I get new to me tts, I'll check what the sound is like with them. Another possible large, small or no change in the sound of the system. Enjoy the music however you want.

I was completely happy with the OEM mat on my KD-500 table for 7yrs, it was pristine, won't go into what happened to it but I needed a new one. In the interim my KD-770D wasn't seeing much use sharing the same room with the Well Tempered Lab so I borrowed it's mat while I looked for an OEM replacement for The Rock, I was taken by complete surprise at the improvement, I'm not one to change mats, all of my tables had their original OEM mats except the WTL, it's sans mat.

So I changed tack and looked for an OEM mat for the KD-770D ....KP-1100 line of Kenwood decks and found a perfect example, has all the same model numbers, was still in its original sealed packaging.

I'll add all of my other tables still have their original mats, I'm not running out to get new ones to try, only wanted to share this improvement I stumbled upon with the cognoscenti here.
 
What's the model number of the KD-770 mat? It looks very similar to the Hiraoka DISK-SE 22 that I have on my KD-500

Here are the numbers, the mat is flat with one side indented for the record label, its super supple but not soft, the two sides are decidedly different in texture and feel with the back side having a thin layer much stiffer than the rest.

Screenshot_20220314-192856.png

Screenshot_20220314-192927.png

Screenshot_20220314-192953.png
 
Has anyone mounted an audio mod arm on a 500? I've seen it talked about,but not actually done.
I'd do it. I like the Audiomod V arm, except the hard to reach cueing. Had one here on a TD-125 for a while.

Most 500s get vintage arms. The new Audiomods will be better than almost all of them.
 
Last edited:
The 770 ( and 880) were equipped with only one tonearm tube - a straight one . And corner headshell ( HS-51 ) . But these headshells are now rare and expensive . Here is the correct headshell for the 770 ( this is a photo of my 770). And the turntable is great .
As a fellow 770 owner I agree. I’m so glad I picked mine up before they got expensive. Just a great looking and functioning TT
 
anyone have any suggestions for upgraded feet for a 500/550?
I put sorbothane gel disks under the feet of my stock KD550. I covered the side of the sorbothane disk that touches the stand with plastic from a ziplock bag to prevent a stain/mark on the wood.

FYI - on my Kenwood KD5070, I found Vibrapods to be an exact fit to replace the stock feet.
 
Hello everyone! Brand new to AK and 1st post. Had to show off the rock. Bought this in 1994 at a garage sale. Almost overpaid, but thanks to mom, asked if they’d take $5 instead of the $10 they were asking. Other than the Ortofon cartridge I bought, haven’t done anything to it. Love it! Look forward to getting some insight from you on the gear. Cheers!image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg
 
Hello everyone! Brand new to AK and 1st post. Had to show off the rock. Bought this in 1994 at a garage sale. Almost overpaid, but thanks to mom, asked if they’d take $5 instead of the $10 they were asking. Other than the Ortofon cartridge I bought, haven’t done anything to it. Love it! Look forward to getting some insight from you on the gear. Cheers!View attachment 2551364View attachment 2551365 View attachment 2551366
Nice tt! I also like the other stuff I'm seeing there. Cool "pipe" cabinet! I noticed you have the exact same Ikea cabinet I have, right down to the color. I'm finally getting the drywall up in my new music room, so I seem to really notice that stuff these days (still looking for decorating ideas).
 
Back
Top Bottom