• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official Kenwood KD 500/550 and 600/650 Owner's Thread

Nah just letting folks know that round holes in the center ain't the answer.

You misunderstood my post. I was referring to cutting a round hole, the center cutout "would be the arm board", never discussed the arm cutout In the new armboard.

If attempting to make nice round armboards use a router to cut out a piece of wood, in other words, cut a hole, the center that it cuts out will make a nice round arm board.

You can also use this method to make any shape arm board you need. Can also put sanding discs in a router to finish the edge if desired, routers are very versatile tools.

I've even used one to make speaker cutouts, then radius the edge of the hole with the driver rear mounted. If building speaker cabinets etc in your garage without all the stuff you would like in a wood working shop a router is a must.
 
Last edited:
Dremel makes a circle cutter attachment for about $15 that threads onto most Dremel tools and you can adjust the radius of it. It also has a straight edge feature so you can cut straight lines. I probably should have got that, but didn't want to spend more $$ at the moment.
 
Update: I'm going to have to rewire the Syntec even though it is NOS. It has some serious static/ground issues, it is definitely the arm, I've isolated the problem to just the tonearm. So the Kenwood is once again on hold untill I get that sorted out. When I first started listening it was rather noticeable and bugged me really badly.

Anyone rewired a tonearm for the Kenwood? If so any wire suggestions? I'll likely get the Cardas litz as it will probably be the easiest to work with since it's twisted, that is it should be easier to run it through the post, tube, etc.
 
Picked up a KD-550 about a year ago. Using the original tonearm and a few different cartridges.

887E19DF-CC0B-4B11-B3E5-A52BF625099D.jpeg


D8F0C7C2-CA1B-4CC9-B02A-F6673829744C.jpeg


364D3DEB-418D-4A07-8772-A172BDEF1600.jpeg
 
Soundsmith Line Contact and Ruby re-tip. It’s been a Bear to dial in. Getting close, I have a Dr. Feickert Next Gen protractor on the way. I think my pivot is out of position since there is room to assemble to the extreme tolerance in or out. Just want to start at 222mm then finish alignment.

My other Denon DL-80a, AT-Pro14s and a few other old style carts sound great. Looking for another tonearm just to take it to the next level.
 
Soundsmith Line Contact and Ruby re-tip. It’s been a Bear to dial in. Getting close, I have a Dr. Feickert Next Gen protractor on the way. I think my pivot is out of position since there is room to assemble to the extreme tolerance in or out. Just want to start at 222mm then finish alignment.

My other Denon DL-80a, AT-Pro14s and a few other old style carts sound great. Looking for another tonearm just to take it to the next level.

Had a Grado Platinum on my Grace G707 arm and they worked great together. The Grace carts even better though, currently running two different models on mine.
 
Had a Grado Platinum on my Grace G707 arm and they worked great together. The Grace carts even better though, currently running two different models on mine.
I’m using a Reference Sonata modded by Peter. My next step will be an arm upgrade like all the posts above. Hard to find a decent tonearm at a reasonable price, believe me I’ve been looking. I think this will improve on my existing carts and hold me over...lol.

Once that’s accomplished I’ll feel I can justify for a more expensive cartridge.
 
I’m using a Reference Sonata modded by Peter. My next step will be an arm upgrade like all the posts above. Hard to find a decent tonearm at a reasonable price, believe me I’ve been looking. I think this will improve on my existing carts and hold me over...lol.

Once that’s accomplished I’ll feel I can justify for a more expensive cartridge.

Can I call dibs if you find a new arm and plan on getting rid of the Kenwood one? :)
 
Here is my new to me 550. Finally set up properly with the help of a few great members here it has a ADC 30 cartridge on it now but I’m upgrading this week.
Beautiful piece of kit.
 

Attachments

  • 6543D921-1BE5-4334-BB72-349C97F0A594.jpeg
    6543D921-1BE5-4334-BB72-349C97F0A594.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 1FA76837-804B-45A7-BF62-9BBED63CA967.jpeg
    1FA76837-804B-45A7-BF62-9BBED63CA967.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 091940B3-9636-4CE0-9722-3AFFA9C8F79F.jpeg
    091940B3-9636-4CE0-9722-3AFFA9C8F79F.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 8E54815A-001C-4706-A97C-E51B3F4A0CEB.jpeg
    8E54815A-001C-4706-A97C-E51B3F4A0CEB.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 58
Pulled my 500 with an IBW and an Ortofon OM20 a couple years ago to test phono on a piece of gear, and took a couple of pics. Went back to the camera to find the stills and could not find them. Went all the way to the beginning of the CF, and it was 2010 when I took the shots... Time, indeed passes quickly!3F7B05E8-50C6-424B-8CB7-2D71A876B1A8.jpeg895B1FA2-5C2A-4332-8055-B7D81DE9903E.jpeg

I have had this deck since 1980, and put it away in 1995. Couldn’t bear to part with it, or my collection of LPs.
Fun to read about the variety of arms on these Kenwood TTs.
 
What should be my next upgrade after fixing the tonearm?

A Herbie's way excellent mat
MNPCTECH feet
Tonearm lift
Or new stylus
 
Back
Top Bottom