• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The official Music score thread

Saturday's score. Quite a few items you don't normally see at thrift stores in my neck of the woods (Kate Bush - Hounds of Love on 1985 marbled vinyl, German pressings of Quadrophenia and Lou Reed, Holland pressing of Jeff Beck Group, The Hoodoo Gurus, etc.). I got very lucky. We got there right as the girl stocking the records and CDs arrived with her cart to start putting out the new stuff. I can only assume they were all donated by the same person. The Foghat Live has MASTERDISK RL on both sides and the Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die has STERLING LH on both sides.

October-16-2021-Score-1.jpg


October-16-2021-Score-2.jpg


October-16-2021-Score-3.jpg


Hounds-of-Love-HW-19-Mk3-1.jpg
 
Saturday's score. Quite a few items you don't normally see at thrift stores in my neck of the woods (Kate Bush - Hounds of Love on 1985 marbled vinyl, German pressings of Quadrophenia and Lou Reed, Holland pressing of Jeff Beck Group, The Hoodoo Gurus, etc.). I got very lucky. We got there right as the girl stocking the records and CDs arrived with her cart to start putting out the new stuff. I can only assume they were all donated by the same person. The Foghat Live has MASTERDISK RL on both sides and the Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die has STERLING LH on both sides.

October-16-2021-Score-1.jpg


October-16-2021-Score-2.jpg


October-16-2021-Score-3.jpg


Hounds-of-Love-HW-19-Mk3-1.jpg
Awesome score. :)
 
Not EXACTLY a score but pretty sweet considering I didn’t have to do anything. The wife works at The Alabama Theater in Birmingham and texted me from there last night. My Morning Jacket was playing and they had a few records for sale at the merch stand. I told her I wanted the Live 3LP set from 2015 so she snagged it for me. Woke up this morning with it waiting for me, didn’t even realize it was autographed by the whole band! She’s a keeper!!
upload_2021-10-30_11-14-28.jpeg
 
Saturday's thrift store score:

October-30-2021-Score.jpg


1966 US Capitol Records, Pressed at Capitol Records Pressing Plant, Los Angeles, CA - The Beatles - Revolver

1967 US Elektra Records, Pressed at Monarch Records, Los Angeles, CA - The Doors - The Doors

1970 US Elektra Records - The Doors - Strange Days

1967 US RCA Victor, Pressed at RCA Records Pressing Plant, Hollywood, CA - Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

1969 US Columbia Records, Pressed at Columbia Records Pressing Plant, Santa Maria, CA - Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

I was stunned to find these at a local thrift store. All in original shrink wrap, all with original inners, all vinyl in near mint condition, all labels mint with no spindle marks, all pressed between 1966 and 1970. Honestly, they look like they were opened, played once and then set aside for the next 50+ years. Out the door, with senior discount for $39.55.

What is even more mind blowing is the cashier, who is a big fan of The Doors, told me someone else who was in earlier in the day got a HUGE stack of records from the same donation. His total bill was over $300, and the ones I got were his rejects! In can only wonder what he walked out of there with.
 
I was stunned to find these at a local thrift store. All in original shrink wrap, all with original inners, all vinyl in near mint condition, all labels mint with no spindle marks, all pressed between 1966 and 1970. Honestly, they look like they were opened, played once and then set aside for the next 50+ years. Out the door, with senior discount for $39.55.
Good Lord! What a bonanza.
 
Still looking for my camera, but ive got a 1978, Cars lp, their debut still sealed and has the Hype sticker on it, its pretty cool.
 
Recent grab at the local Salvation Army in town.
$1.99 each. There was more Harvest stuff too.
 

Attachments

  • 16389980473872274774191518938105.jpg
    16389980473872274774191518938105.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 10
  • 1638998071489293922860849788475.jpg
    1638998071489293922860849788475.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 12
I picked up the following CDs from Value Village. The CD in the middle, a band called Filter I bought off of Amazon
IMG_6088.jpg
 
Well, I did have an alterior motive in posting this thread;) I was working 4 stories up in the lift and got the itch for a score. I figured it would be gear, but I found a niced stash of albums that were in the thrift that I can usually only find Jimmy Swaggarts greatest hits and scratched copies of Sing along with Mitch.
So hear is the list, I am so stoked:
Led Zep- CODA- Mint clean- spinning first:guitar:
Don Henley-Building the Perfect Beast
Lindsey Buckingham-Law and Order
Heart-Dreamboat Annie.... Canadian Pressing, the best pressing
Kate Bush-Hounds of Love
Environments-it's an aural psychology record.. interesting.
CCR-Cosmos Factory, not real minty, but couldn't pass it up
Christine McVie-Christine McVie
Highwayman-dig this one lots :D
Wings-Venus and Mars
Buckwheat Zydeco-taking it home
Simon and Garfunkel-Sounds of Silence,cleaner than other one
'til tuesday-voices carry... finally found a minty one
David + David-Boomtown, brings back memories
REM no. 5-Document, very glad to have this on vinyl

So depending on your taste in music, it could be a bunch of overplayed rock and 80's dreck, but to my tastebuds, it's pure heaven :D
I’m a classic rock fan ! But sometimes I like to get mellow , two albums off the beaten path I like is CarlySimon Anticipation and Xanadu with Olivia Newton John, ELO and the tubes ! Anticipation is full of Carly music that wasn’t played to death and quite good ! Xanadu is a mix of music ,one song features a duet with Gene Kelly and Olivia , When I get too mellow I can always throw on Framton Comes Alive !
 
Score from years ago but since some folks mentioned Cosmos, and mellow check this out. I paid a dollar for the record, but $30 for the CD. And the CD is worth every penny. Still have the LP.

R-612316-1364146616-9885.jpg
 
Cumulative thrift store scores over the last 5 weeks:

Feb-2022-Score-1.jpg


Feb-2022-Score-2.jpg


Feb-2022-Score-3.jpg


Feb-2022-Score-4.jpg


Feb-2022-Score-5.jpg


The first 12 were from this past weekend. The rest were a series of small scores during January. All were between $1.79 and $3.99 (the sealed Target Gold Vinyl Motown 1's - which was $27.99 at the Target store a mile away from the Goodwill where I picked it up).

Highlights include a 4-sided Robert Ludwig Steely Dan Greatest Hits in very clean condition. The Best of Abba is a bit unusual. It's a South Korean release, but looks to be pressed from German plates and has German labels. The 80's pop titles all play grade from VG++ to NM. Don't look like they were played much. I would have bought the Duran Duran for the Patrick Nagel cover art alone. The Billy Thorpe Children of the Sun takes me back to my freshman year of college. The sophomore across the hall had the nicest stereo on the floor (Electro Voice Interface D speakers driven by a 250 WPC Soundcraftsmen amp) and used to crank that one on a regular basis.
 
I haven't had much luck at my local Goodwill recently, but today's trip on my lunch hour was worth the drive. $2.69 each with my senior discount.

Mar-9-2022-Score-1.jpg


Mar-9-2022-Score-2.jpg


Mar-9-2022-Score-3.jpg

After scrolling the last couple pages, seeing your scores, seeing you reference $2.99 each, and checking your location to confirm we're in the same local (because where else would any beater Herb Alpert be worth $2.99), I now know why I never come home with anything!
 
After scrolling the last couple pages, seeing your scores, seeing you reference $2.99 each, and checking your location to confirm we're in the same local (because where else would any beater Herb Alpert be worth $2.99), I now know why I never come home with anything!

I'm in the Beaverton/Tigard area and for years have hit 6 Goodwills every weekend, and one or two almost daily. For the past 14 months have been spending every other weekend in Eugene. I think all Goodwills in Oregon charge $2.99/album.

I used to get a lot of good stuff at the Tigard store, but about two years ago, the guy who stocks the records started marking up the prices on anything halfway decent. He's pretty clueless about condition and pressings. I think he just looks for the highest price on Discogs and thinks he can get that at Goodwill. Last summer he had a 2008 Sony re-issue of Mingus Ah Um priced at $49.99. I think he thought it was an original pressing because Sony reproduced the classic 6-eye label, but it had a 2008 copyright notice on the rear cover. Now, I think he sends anything decent to the online auction site. I can't remember the last time I got anything decent there.
 
I'm in the Beaverton/Tigard area and for years have hit 6 Goodwills every weekend, and one or two almost daily. For the past 14 months have been spending every other weekend in Eugene. I think all Goodwills in Oregon charge $2.99/album.

I used to get a lot of good stuff at the Tigard store, but about two years ago, the guy who stocks the records started marking up the prices on anything halfway decent. He's pretty clueless about condition and pressings. I think he just looks for the highest price on Discogs and thinks he can get that at Goodwill. Last summer he had a 2008 Sony re-issue of Mingus Ah Um priced at $49.99. I think he thought it was an original pressing because Sony reproduced the classic 6-eye label, but it had a 2008 copyright notice on the rear cover. Now, I think he sends anything decent to the online auction site. I can't remember the last time I got anything decent there.

I've had better luck at the St. Vincent's in Eugene then the Goodwills, but they also pull titles like your Tigard store. The funny thing is many times the titles they decide to put in the glass case are the same titles/condition that would be in the dollar bin at an actual record store! Saw a spine ripped and scratched up Styx's Pieces of Eight priced at $16 once. Or Genesis' Invisible Touch for $20.
 
I've had better luck at the St. Vincent's in Eugene then the Goodwills, but they also pull titles like your Tigard store. The funny thing is many times the titles they decide to put in the glass case are the same titles/condition that would be in the dollar bin at an actual record store! Saw a spine ripped and scratched up Styx's Pieces of Eight priced at $16 once. Or Genesis' Invisible Touch for $20.

Yes, I have noticed that St. Vinnie's is much more popular in Eugene than Goodwill. The opposite is true in the Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro area. Goodwill is king up here. The closest St. Vinnie's are in Salem and McMinnville.

I have visited some of the St. Vinnie's in Eugene and have noticed they mark up any record they consider valuable and keep them in a locked case. I've picked up a few records at St. Vinnie's, but not a lot. I just think there is a lot more available in the Portland area due to the greater population and sheer number of Goodwill stores up here.
 
Splurged and got some great new records the other day after getting a $100 gift voucher for my birthday to an excellent local record store. Two Hank Mobleys, an Oscar Peterson and a Bill Evans. Fantastic! Added $70 to the $100 gift voucher so I could get free delivery.

However, isn't it even more fun when you pick up four albums for a tenth of that price at your local op shop!

Some fun pick ups today at one of my regular op shop haunts:

Beausoleil: 'Allons A Lafayette' - took a punt on this for $5 because it was released on Arhoolie and looked interesting even though I don't know much about Cajun Zydeco music. Listening to it now: what a find! Love it. Like the sticker on the record's shrink wrap says: Independent record labels make good music.

Laurindo Almeida & The Bossa Nova All-Stars: 'Viva Bossa Nova' - hard to go past a Laurindo Almeida record for $4 and this one has a stellar support crew including Shelly Manne, Milt Holland and Jimmy Rowles.

George Shearing & Barry Tuckwell: 'Play the music of Cole Porter' - don't know Mr Tuckwell, who is a French horn virtuoso but I'm a sucker for George Shearing records. This one was released in 1986 on Concord. Can't complain for $4.

Ray Charles: 'Ingredients in a Recipe for Soul' (Rhino CD) - Not walking past a classic Ray Charles recording in excellent condition on CD for $4 - grabbed it!

277234394_514102313749895_1534021307922187444_n.jpg 277826055_938445226829803_3813813612358793938_n.jpg 277117065_345531314286245_7481016301903627118_n.jpg
 
Friend tipped me he saw a Quadraphonic record in a bin at Zulu records at 4th Ave. So just now before closing time I run to the store. And picked up this mint in every aspect :"Future Sound Shock - Enoch Light & The Light Brigade" , on Project 3 label.

IMG_20220502_185656780.jpg IMG_20220502_185857066~2.jpg IMG_20220502_190958761.jpg

Addendum: A nice Youtube video about this store moving in 1999 to it's still current location.

 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom