• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Hello,
This looks like a good place to get additional information. In August 2020 i bought a Sota Condor and Roadrunner unit for a diy turntable. I had some more urgent things to do so it did start running much later but never played a record because other things needed work too. Some weeks ago i switched on the unit to check if things still working. THEN i noticed the motor /pulley assembly had a high temperature and noise could be heard at two feet distance.
Sota company told me it could be that my Cosmos needs new firmware and i have to send it back to them.
Anyone else did have the same issue.
My 1981 Sapphire can only be heard in a quiet room with a stethoscope. I expected the Condor to be in an even higher league . The original Sapphire belt looks shiny and the belt on my diy turntable looks like almost brittle.
I hope to get some '' mental support '' here by confirmation more people had this problem and got solved.
OF COURSE i will inform everyone if Sota did get my quality problem solved.
Kind greetings, Eduard
 

Attachments

  • 20200710_144607.jpg
    20200710_144607.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201129_135405 - kopie.jpg
    20201129_135405 - kopie.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201129_135459.jpg
    20201129_135459.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 12
Hello,
I just did let the motor spin at 33.3 RPM with no pulley so the easiest task to do i guess. And after 3 hours or so with moderate room temperature my digital infrared thermometer shows a temperature above 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
I hope this problem can be solved with new firmware.
I remember the slogan on my Sota sapphire leaflet '' the belt drive turntable that Newton would have built.'' I bought it in 1981 and i have the intention to sell it soon because i bought a 12 inch arm. Where was Newton when this was built? Did i get some kind of prototype?
Kind greetings, Eduard
IMG20240824072522.jpg
 
110 F is quite OK. and nothing at all to be concerned about. I'd be more concerned about the noise; can you describe it, or even better record it?
 
Hello, but that heath is transferred by the aluminium pulley to the belt which has the looks like it has been on the beach.. I cant hold my finger against the motor housing for more than a second. I removed the pulley which was kind of fixed to motor axis by a special kind of loctite.
I got this answer from Sota:
We can get the condor back and update the firmware to see if this helps. On some earlier condor firmware we had an issue where once feedback started the motor then went back into full voltage draw which caused them to run more warm. This in no way caused an issue with speed control, it was only in temperature.

The sound was like a grinder machine. Probably having to turn the platter will create more '' communication '' to adjust the speed between Condor and the motor. I did have the pulley locally machine with a special '' feature '' to kind of disconnect the pulley without putting any pressure on the axis. Now it is just heating up but no noise. I could '' reconnect '' the pulley again and let it rotate the platter to check if the noise will return. BUT one year ago it did run without any noise and i want it to 'work as intended. I have seen several serious turntables in the last 5 decades but never one that would run this hot.
It was a really serious investment for me . There is no support from Sota here in Europe so i will have to return it to the USA.
Kind greetings, Eduard
P.s of course there could be people who experienced the same problem.
 
Hello,
I cannot manage to put the video with the noise here. I will wait for some more people before asking it on other sites. Anyway it will be a lousy weekend. . Kind greetings, eduard
 
Hello Ralph,
That was suggested by Sota. But it seems that they are not sure they can solve the issue. For this amount of money these devices should work without any issues. My 1981 Sota Sapphire runs smoother than this.. I will send a picture of the belt to Origin live in the UK so they can compare the looks to a new one. IF the belt cannot stand the temperature '' transferred '' from the motor to the pulley i will start saving for an old EMT. Kind greetings, Eduard
 
If you do not have the RoadRunner tach connected with feedback, then the firmware upgrade will not make any difference. The temp issue only happens when correction is applied when using the RR tach (this is corrected in the latest firmware version).

Like Ralph said, 110°F is normal and will not adversely affect the belt. The Hurst motors used in a lot of turntable (including VPI) have a temp spec of 30°C above ambient; assuming 70°F (21°C) ambient that would be 124°F (51°C).

If the noise is not present when the platter is not turning (pulley removed) that would seem to indicate the platter bearing not the motor? If you install the pulley and belt, can you tell where the noise originates?
 
Hello,,
The grinding noise was there when the motor was turning with no belt present as well. With no belt present platter will not turn and roadrunner will not work of course. I could clearly hear the noise coming from the motor/pulley '' area''. NOW it seems to be quiet again just like a few months back. Because Sota forgot to send me the 24 volt supply i used one made a by a Dutch technician. Could this be the cause of the noise? Should i check the current being drawn by the Condor while the platter is being '' controlled''?
As you can see in the picture a few days ago i was asked by Sota to check the firmware on the Roadrunner. Dont know how to check firmware on the condor if there is any.
Kind greetings, Eduard
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail (70).jpg
    thumbnail (70).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
If the noise comes and goes from the motor/pulley area, it sounds like the motor top bearing could be contaminated or going bad.

The firmware in the RR tach does not affect the temp, it is only the Condor. Press and hold the Stby button while inserting the power cable. The problem was corrected with v4.29 in 2022.
 
Hello,
I received Condor and Roadrunner in August 2020.
The backpanels are a bit hard to reach but i can also switch off the main supply ( 24 and 9 volt DC) ) let the supply go'' empty'' and switch on again while press and hold the standby button?
BUT to get it corrected i will have to send this expensive device to the USA again?
If everything is ok i should not be able to hear any noise coming from the motor/pulley assembly? I mean my 1981 Sapphire is dead quiet.
Kind greetings, Eduard
 
Yes, if the display goes off then power has dropped enough for a reset to take place.

When the motor is operating correctly, it should be nearly silent.

You'll have to contact SOTA to work out the details of returning equipment to them.
 
Hello,
I just checked the display showed 4.26
Nearly silent? It should be less noisy than an original Sota Sapphire made in 1981. This turntable never has played an actual record.
I will write an email to Sota so i will be able to send it to them okay.
Would it be wise to have the motor checked by Anaheim?
Kind greetings, Eduard
 
Hello,
Sota usually takes a few days to answer . The diy turntable crowd is kind of shrinking. In Germany there are some expensive motor units available but the charge a lot but in case of trouble taking a train to Germany is easy. A pity i invested so much . Kind greetings, Eduard.
 
Hello,
A few months ago i decided to stop investing money in a big digital project because i ran into to many problems with some parts and because i did not like the commercial strategy of the company. To many updates and lousy support. So i just took my '' financial loss'' try to sell the parts and just bought a high end complete product.. Now i just wait for Sota to react. I think i saw some VPI owners in Europe who start using the Sota motor unit. But i have an idea there are not many people using it in Europe. Kind greetings, eduard
 
Hello,
I have just send another email to Sota to send me the complete adres and telephone number so i can arrange a registered parcel to them.
It is still a reputable company or is the competition getting to tough? Kind greetings, Eduard
 
Back
Top Bottom