• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Think we're on to something with the feet. I only unscrewed 1/2 inch to allow adjustment. Suspect the feet somehow impede movement of the thrust plate if not extended.

After talking with you and then seeing this.
If your 4 springs are worn out holding the thrust plate, and the weight of it you might not have the space needed between the feet.

The springs holding the thrust plate can be tighten some. Look under the table and you'll see the 4 screws with the big washer that will raise the thrust plate away from the feet/bump stops. Adjust them all equally so as you see the edge of the thrust plate hanging down around 3/8 of an inch past the bottom edge of the outer plinth.
 
Dan,

It was the feet. As soon as I ran them out along the studs, the thrust plate freed up and balancing was easy enough. I'm going to go back, however, and use some plumbers tape on the threads as the feet are a little wobbly.

Thanks for helping,
Warren
 
The feet are the week point of the TT. I don't know if there is anyone making these any more but thay made a huge difference when I installed them. From the defunked The Mod Squad.
IMG_0212.JPG
 
I'm starting to look for a SOTA, looking around I see some used Sapphire/Star models out there, and then new models like the Comet (the Comets are brand new). Both look to be in about the range I would look to spend. What are some of the common problems to look out for with older (used) Sapphires - not really looking to pick something up that might need to go to SOTA for a refurbishment.

Looks (to me) that the major difference between the Comet and Sapphire is that the Sapphire is suspended and can easily support a variety of arms via armboards. All of the Comets I see have the Rega S303 arm, while the Sapphires either have a variety of mid-to-upper tier arms on them or are armless.
 
I'm starting to look for a SOTA, looking around I see some used Sapphire/Star models out there, and then new models like the Comet (the Comets are brand new). Both look to be in about the range I would look to spend. What are some of the common problems to look out for with older (used) Sapphires - not really looking to pick something up that might need to go to SOTA for a refurbishment.

Looks (to me) that the major difference between the Comet and Sapphire is that the Sapphire is suspended and can easily support a variety of arms via armboards. All of the Comets I see have the Rega S303 arm, while the Sapphires either have a variety of mid-to-upper tier arms on them or are armless.
Here you go well worth it. Buy it and the ask forgiveness.
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649365986-sota-star-sapphire/
 
Look for the Sapphire . Just got one and love it !!! Paid 700 for it with no cart or head shell. I think Vacuum is a cool feature but having read a few reviews of the two its not that much
a major improvement over the one without. But I have not heard one myself so just going on some reviews.

I am sure other would argue. Id rather spend the extra $$$ on a nice cart instead.

Nashou
 
SOTA Star deck in nice shape used $2000
SOTA Reflex Clamp $260
Dust cover $240
Hell even that KAB strobe and Disc cost $140 and I use one on my tables.

Tuned and updated at SOTA less than 2 years ago and rarely played since. They updated to the latest vacuum and lip surface and updated springs to Series V.

This is also adds to the above price and really makes the table at least $2500.

I wouldn't even mess with the arm, sell that for parts and get a better arm.
 
SOTA Star deck in nice shape used $2000
SOTA Reflex Clamp $260
Dust cover $240
Hell even that KAB strobe and Disc cost $140 and I use one on my tables.

Tuned and updated at SOTA less than 2 years ago and rarely played since. They updated to the latest vacuum and lip surface and updated springs to Series V.

This is also adds to the above price and really makes the table at least $2500.

I wouldn't even mess with the arm, sell that for parts and get a better arm.
Thanks - just waiting for a shipping quote from the seller. That arm will have to do in the short term, should work fine until I'm ready to upgrade.
 
Happy to report that I am the owner-to-be of a Star Sapphire, I will likely have it towards the end of next week. Looking forward to it - thanks to those of you who helped me spend my money :) - my first transaction on USAM so I hope it goes well. I have bookmarked this thread so I can come back here for setup tips. Going to run it with the Sumiko MMT it comes with for the time being (guess I need to locate a heavier counterweight for a few of my cartridges), I have to replenish my audio funds before I dive down that rabbit hole...
 
I've submitted a few posts on a Sapphire that I was considering buying and subsequently purchased.

It's got a black platter with a tan colored, Audio Quest, Sorbothane mat glued to the platter. It also had an Audio Quest screw type clamp included. The mat is installed in a somewhat sloppy manner, very un-Sota like. I removed the tonearm, a Grace 707 m3, and re-drilled the armboard to accommodate my Jelco 750.

Examining the Grace,I found the installation to be pretty un-Sota like as well. The mounting hole was not to spec, and two damping pads were missing from the tonearm hardware set.

Based on this evidence, I suspect that the original dealer probably drilled the armboard and installed the tonearm - incorrectly (probably a salesman), and it's not a reach to assume that the same guy sold and installed the Audio Quest mat.

If I'm right, I'm thinking about removing the Sorbothane mat from the platter. I'm not sure what I'll find if I do, however. I used a Herbies way excellent foam mat on my Thorens TD 125 with good success.

Opinions - on all this - would be appreciated.
 
If I'm right, I'm thinking about removing the Sorbothane mat from the platter. I'm not sure what I'll find if I do, however. I used a Herbies way excellent foam mat on my Thorens TD 125 with good success.

Opinions - on all this - would be appreciated.
I would call SOTA and get the correct mat.
 
I would love to have a Sota Sapphire. Not in this lifetime though


I thought the same thing then on craigslist the one i now own came up with no head shell or cart. I have the Sumiko BPS EVO III already so for me it was a great deal at 750 bucks.

Just keep looking locally and maybe one will show up close by.

Keep the faith !!!

Nashou
 
Back
Top Bottom