• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

I don’t understand what the benefit of the internal ground mod is. If there’s no gain in sound quality then I don’t bother doing it. All I did was cut the cheap plastic factory RCA ends and soldered in some gold plated RCAs. I left them the same length so as to not affect the cable’s capacitance(picofarads).
 
I don’t understand what the benefit of the internal ground mod is. If there’s no gain in sound quality then I don’t bother doing it. All I did was cut the cheap plastic factory RCA ends and soldered in some gold plated RCAs. I left them the same length so as to not affect the cable’s capacitance(picofarads).
the ground can affect the noise level.

if you have soldered in some new ICs, you may want to check out the Cardas air core litz from KAB. He will pre-tin them for you. They are the best I have heard until you get north of 2K for ICs. And don't forget the headshell leads. Either source them from Cardas or AQ.
 
I don’t understand what the benefit of the internal ground mod is. If there’s no gain in sound quality then I don’t bother doing it. All I did was cut the cheap plastic factory RCA ends and soldered in some gold plated RCAs. I left them the same length so as to not affect the cable’s capacitance(picofarads).
Big. But not always. For example, if you use MC with SUT with balanced input like Ortofon T3000/5000, separate ground is a must, otherwise you will get unwanted hum. But with MM it is vice versa - you will get unwanted noise if you will lead wires and connect to ground only at MM phono stage. Commonly it can be done with cables, you do not need ground switch, but you need separate ground (like Technics EPA B500 has by default). So for MC SUT use balanced cable, lead cables to input, but shield should not be connected to connectors, but only to the ground. With MM simply use coaxial cables. And experiment.
 
I bought the new SL-1200GR2 this May and ran it with an AT-VM740ML which was very very good, but I have now put on one of Ortofon's new Concorde Music Bronze carts (this is not a DJ cart- it uses a fine line stylus and 1.8 grams VTF). No Muss, No fuss setup, sounds even better than the 740ML- no need to add the extra counter weight.

I have an AT Safety Lifter installed (yes, they fit) so no silicone filled trough for me... I fall asleep sometimes and need the lifter to keep my cartridge from riding the run out groove while I snooze.

I have a wood plinth that goes around the outside (from a guy in Spain) to dress it up.
new stain 002.jpg109_3506.JPGconcorde 002.jpg
 
You can install output socket like this:

Thanks! Does anybody have any experience with that socket? Is it a quality piece, and what is the difficulty level for installation?

The RCA's on my "new" table are really stiff and the plastic feels and looks old, and new RCA's is a priority item. But not sure if I need the flexibility of connecting/disconnecting RCA's, the table will be stationary. I have a set of Mogami's I can put on it.
 
Thanks! Does anybody have any experience with that socket? Is it a quality piece, and what is the difficulty level for installation?

The RCA's on my "new" table are really stiff and the plastic feels and looks old, and new RCA's is a priority item. But not sure if I need the flexibility of connecting/disconnecting RCA's, the table will be stationary. I have a set of Mogami's I can put on it.

Yes, I installed one like this on my KAB Broadcast standard. Really not a rocket science and it is direct replacement. And fully reversible, you should not modify anything.
 
Thanks guys. I'm not the type to mod things "just because" and the only items I'm considering are the RCA's and internal ground, and the suggested socket covers both.

I'm on the fence about the arm rewire. I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference with my ringing ears.

But since I would be in there....?
 
Thanks guys. I'm not the type to mod things "just because" and the only items I'm considering are the RCA's and internal ground, and the suggested socket covers both.

I'm on the fence about the arm rewire. I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference with my ringing ears.

But since I would be in there....?

So, I bought my SL-1210 in 90s, it was in new condition with all papers. First upgrade was KAB tonearm damper. Second was upgrade to KAB Broadcast standard including tonearm rewiring, adding 78rpm and separate PS (PS is not very important upgrade). Third was adding RCA sockets with separate ground. You really do not need ground switch, because if you have separate ground you can always use balanced cables or coaxial cables depending on your setup. So, I advice to send tonearm and circuit board to Kevin Barrett for upgrade and buy KAB fluid damper. And install RCA sockets with separate ground (not shorted to signal output). Another benefit is - Kevin will test and adjust tonearm bearings so you will be sure your tonearm is up to specs. It is nearly impossible to do it by yourself and for used turntable it is important.

DSC00141.JPG
 
So, I bought my SL-1210 in 90s, it was in new condition with all papers. First upgrade was KAB tonearm damper. Second was upgrade to KAB Broadcast standard including tonearm rewiring, adding 78rpm and separate PS (PS is not very important upgrade). Third was adding RCA sockets with separate ground. You really do not need ground switch, because if you have separate ground you can always use balanced cables or coaxial cables depending on your setup. So, I advice to send tonearm and circuit board to Kevin Barrett for upgrade and buy KAB fluid damper. And install RCA sockets with separate ground (not shorted to signal output). Another benefit is - Kevin will test and adjust tonearm bearings so you will be sure your tonearm is up to specs. It is nearly impossible to do it by yourself and for used turntable it is important.

View attachment 3267878
Nice! Also, I didn't even think about sending only the tonearm and board in, thanks for the suggestion.
 
Hello All - new owner here!
I got the bug to review/upgrade the analog side of my system & ended up with a 1986 black mk2!
1742573367627.png
I have a vintage Rega P3 w/RB300 & Sumiko BPS, and decided I wanted something different. So the research began. And I not only learned that it is OK to have more than 1x turntable, but there was this unique appreciation for the sl1200. This TT was not on my radar at all. A LOT of info available, how to inspect, how to fix, parts, good performance + easy upgrades, reasonable price, good resale market, etc., etc. But not really what I was looking for in my next TT. I was looking for something that would be a definitive upgrade to my Rega, a little higher end, maybe a little closer to an ‘end game’ turntable.

I end up picking two other options & start shopping. No luck, but no problem. I got time.
More research, shopping, no buying. However, there are consistently some sl1200 for sale. As I was surfing the audio forums, reading about vintage turntables, I see a couple more sl1200 references, I learn a little more about TT, and then read some post ‘if you like turntables, you got to have a sl1200 at least once’. Fine - who am I to argue with the internet? I decided to bump the sl1200 mk2 up the list.

A little more time passes & some random search/post led me to a black sl1200 mk2 online @ Guitar Center!
Looked good from the photos, all original w/accessories, price was good, the store answered most of my questions (no inspection of used equipment?), 45-day free return policy w/dropoff @ store… ok sold! They packed well & I received TT via UPS in ~24 hours. Unreal. Southern WI to Chicago.

As it came used from guitar shop w/Stanton 500, I was assuming some DJ work. The plinth has a number of marks but only a couple of significance, a handful of dark spots on platter, stylus tip gone, a little jump with platter strobe, arm height sleeve stuck, paint on 1x foot, one missing screw, and that is about it! Everything else is really pretty nice.

I freed up the arm height adjustment, polished the platter, general cleaning, added KAB tonearm knob & feet lifters, and plan to mount cartridges in headshells today! This TT is far from minty, but ended up pretty good condition. Very good condition if you grade on a ‘DJ turntable’ bell curve. And this table is a chunk. 26.5 lbs - Over 2x as heavy as Rega; a very different design. I looked forward to adding this to the system this weekend!
 
mrwood200 once the 1200 is up and running I feel confident you will be very pleased with a very reliable daily driver that can be supported well into the future. I'd rate the 1200 a professional grade turntable. If you need anything KAB will be your friend. The real professional DJs took good care of their 1200s, they were their bread and butter.
 
Hello All - new owner here!
I got the bug to review/upgrade the analog side of my system & ended up with a 1986 black mk2!
View attachment 3460383
I have a vintage Rega P3 w/RB300 & Sumiko BPS, and decided I wanted something different. So the research began. And I not only learned that it is OK to have more than 1x turntable, but there was this unique appreciation for the sl1200. This TT was not on my radar at all. A LOT of info available, how to inspect, how to fix, parts, good performance + easy upgrades, reasonable price, good resale market, etc., etc. But not really what I was looking for in my next TT. I was looking for something that would be a definitive upgrade to my Rega, a little higher end, maybe a little closer to an ‘end game’ turntable.

I end up picking two other options & start shopping. No luck, but no problem. I got time.
More research, shopping, no buying. However, there are consistently some sl1200 for sale. As I was surfing the audio forums, reading about vintage turntables, I see a couple more sl1200 references, I learn a little more about TT, and then read some post ‘if you like turntables, you got to have a sl1200 at least once’. Fine - who am I to argue with the internet? I decided to bump the sl1200 mk2 up the list.

A little more time passes & some random search/post led me to a black sl1200 mk2 online @ Guitar Center!
Looked good from the photos, all original w/accessories, price was good, the store answered most of my questions (no inspection of used equipment?), 45-day free return policy w/dropoff @ store… ok sold! They packed well & I received TT via UPS in ~24 hours. Unreal. Southern WI to Chicago.

As it came used from guitar shop w/Stanton 500, I was assuming some DJ work. The plinth has a number of marks but only a couple of significance, a handful of dark spots on platter, stylus tip gone, a little jump with platter strobe, arm height sleeve stuck, paint on 1x foot, one missing screw, and that is about it! Everything else is really pretty nice.

I freed up the arm height adjustment, polished the platter, general cleaning, added KAB tonearm knob & feet lifters, and plan to mount cartridges in headshells today! This TT is far from minty, but ended up pretty good condition. Very good condition if you grade on a ‘DJ turntable’ bell curve. And this table is a chunk. 26.5 lbs - Over 2x as heavy as Rega; a very different design. I looked forward to adding this to the system this weekend!
I also recently made the change from a Rega to the 1200 series. I absolutely love it.
 
mrwood200 once the 1200 is up and running I feel confident you will be very pleased with a very reliable daily driver that can be supported well into the future. I'd rate the 1200 a professional grade turntable. If you need anything KAB will be your friend. The real professional DJs took good care of their 1200s, they were their bread and butter.
Will throw on here: I've had this table for about 12 years and it's needed... a drop of oil in the spindle bearing. Otherwise, nothing. These things were made to be lugged to a different club every night and manhandled for hours on end; they consider heavy use in your home a nice quiet retirement.

Mine sings with an AT VM540ML. The tonearm is way better than people give credit, and has no issues being properly set up with a microline.

IMO hold off on the KAB fluid damper unless you actually have a problem: I found its impact subtle at best (nothing against KAB, but this is the only mod I ever did to the table and it's my opinion: I heard a tiny difference with a Grado gold 8MZ and none with a VM540)
 
Hello @mrwood200 ! You indeed made a good choice with your SL-1200 MK2. I'll quote @Kit Carson :

mrwood200 once the 1200 is up and running I feel confident you will be very pleased with a very reliable daily driver that can be supported well into the future. I'd rate the 1200 a professional grade turntable. If you need anything KAB will be your friend. The real professional DJs took good care of their 1200s, they were their bread and butter.

I jumped in the Technics bandwagon too in April 2023, when I decided to go for a brand new SL-1200G :

6cZgQb-P1180090.jpg


yXQpSb-P1180071.jpg


Oh, OK : I could go for a less "top-of-the-range", more reasonable model with the the SL-1200GR, but considering that I kept my two first venerable THORENS TD160 and 160MKII TT for 40 years, I said that this new TT will be the last one, so... Might as well have fun !

I installed an AT-VM95C for "old and very played" records, and an AT-VM540ML for the "well-preserved" records, each on Technics swappable shell :

TcZgQb-P1180483.jpg


I am done :cool:. This is exactly the instrument I was searching for : not even improvement search question or hassle, perfect performance package right out of the box, once the easy setup is done.

So once setup'ed correctly - and improved / serviced if needed - your sturdy SL1200 MK2 will also perform as you expect - just like @Kit Carson summed it up. ;)

T
 
Back
Top Bottom