• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Whether you can achieve a Baerwald alignment will depend on which cartridge, stylus, and headshell you're using. I've tried it in the past... unsuccessfully. The headshell slots prevented the cartridge (and thus, the stylus) from being moved forward far enough. And that was with a Technics headshell, which has longer slots than many other headshells.
 
I'v been useing the Technics overhang gauge with the DB Systems protractor and the alignment works out perfectly and sounds excellent with zero distortion. All in all a snap to set overhang/alignment.
 
I am using the Technics headsheel and V15 III.
The Baerwald arc protractor just barely worked, the cartridge moved all the way out and slanted inwards a bit. The sound was too smooth and lost dynamics.
I tried the Stevenson protractor and moved the cartridge about halfway in the slots and parallel to the shell, sounds a bit more clear and dynamic.
Bought the table second hand so I don't have any other access. like the overhang gauge or Technics protractor. What does that look like?
 
Overhang gauge looks like this
media.nl

and can be purchased from KAB, Needle Doctor, wherever else you buy cartridges, etc. If you have a precise measuring instrument such as calipers, you may do just as well with that.
 
tmblack KAB has everything you need for the 1200, any/all accessories that didn't come with your 1200, very reasonable prices so no excuse not to have them. I'v found the Technics overhang gauge to be spot on and use a protractor to double check the alignment, so far perfect every time.
 
Whether you can achieve a Baerwald alignment will depend on which cartridge, stylus, and headshell you're using. I've tried it in the past... unsuccessfully. The headshell slots prevented the cartridge (and thus, the stylus) from being moved forward far enough. And that was with a Technics headshell, which has longer slots than many other headshells.
I use a Pickering (Stanton) headshell and Pickering (Stanton) DJ150 cartridge.
The shell is a copy of Technics original one that I also have, the DJ150 is the same as Stanton 680/681, the same I've mounted on original Technics shell (681 EEE).
With the Baerwald I put the cartrdige at 3/4 of the shell and works fine.
 
So I received the thick mat from KAB and tried it on. I'm a little confused now about the proper VTA. With the slip mat, things sounded good around 1.7. Now of course anything below 3 and the cue arm won't lift the arm enough to clear the record. I think I've settled around 4.5 to 5.

For others with this mat, does that seem about right?

The cart is a Shure M44-7. I think it's height is about 17 cm.

Appreciate any advice.
 
I'm thinking through this:

So the new mat is a good 3mm thicker than the felt mat. I add this 3mm to the cart high of 17mm and get 20mm.

The manual chart goes up 1 full setting for every increase in mm, so adding 3 settings takes me to 4.7 from my original setting with the felt mat.

I know this shouldn't make the sweet spot automatic... but all other things being equal, shouldn't this be about in the ballpark?
 
… Now of course anything below 3 and the cue arm won't lift the arm enough to clear the record. …

Have you adjusted the height of the cueing lifter? It adjusts independently of VTA by means of a little screw at the end - right to raise, left to lower IIRC.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 1200tonearmlift.jpg
    1200tonearmlift.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 287
Oh... I have so much to learn.

Thank you.


And learn you will. It has its share of detractors for sure, but I'd venture there's no better table with which to learn about the various intricacies of analog than the SL-1200 given its easy adjustability. :thmbsp:
 
Frank Mikeys comments re the SL1200 got quite a reaction, mostly negative, on Audio Asylum. Fremer throwing out the old BS re direct drive hunt/peck speed issues and Fremer being able to hear it in the music. If it's one thing anyone CAN'T fault the Technics turntables for it's the ability to keep near perfect speed. It was in the context of reviewing a $15,000 turntable, I wonder how many turntables will be sold at that price.
 
Back
Top Bottom