• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The one watt lie….

You may not need a lot of power (or you may) but IMHO the problem is a lot of low power amps are also not very good amps. So many of the <30W tube amps from the past had almost no bass capability. Sure, they could put out rated power mid-band, but almost nothing down low, plus it was heavily distorted, the result of tiny and cheap iron. I don't know anything about modern SETs and such, but you need to look at the entire power band. OTL solves the iron problem but I don't know if there's some other price to pay. Output impedance perhaps?

Lots of heat, power used ( though maybe not more so than big class A SS. Also they tend to use a lot of tubes per channel. Gets pricey when it's time to replace.
 
would live to experience that. Owning Avantgardes would be amazing.

They did some things very, very well, but like all speaker they lacked in other areas.
Maybe if I had the opportunity to listen to them for an extended period (days-months?) I would get used to the things I didn't like and be able to enjoy them more.. As it stands I like a lot of other speakers much better and prefer a different set of compromises..
 
You may not need a lot of power (or you may) but IMHO the problem is a lot of low power amps are also not very good amps. So many of the <30W tube amps from the past had almost no bass capability. Sure, they could put out rated power mid-band, but almost nothing down low, plus it was heavily distorted, the result of tiny and cheap iron.

Try one of these someday. :)

@damacman

maxresdefault.jpg
 
Lots of heat, power used ( though maybe not more so than big class A SS. Also they tend to use a lot of tubes per channel. Gets pricey when it's time to replace.

My AR VT100 power amp had 16 tubes. Plus phono and preamp, total was over 26-28 tubes. I wont dismiss that lower tube count is a good motivator to look into low wattage.
 
They did some things very, very well, but like all speaker they lacked in other areas.
Maybe if I had the opportunity to listen to them for an extended period (days-months?) I would get used to the things I didn't like and be able to enjoy them more.. As it stands I like a lot of other speakers much better and prefer a different set of compromises..

Ive seen that happen. Ive even experienced it myself. Some of the best combinations Ive had here took time to get to know.
 
currently having a good time listening to acoustical folk with the Gibbon X and the FW F8 amp.

its very good when it can cope and the speaker is being driven just a tad above moderate. the lows come alive, and the sound is full.
 
I have seen SO many claims about "Watts" over the years to make me sick..lol

Everyone has some opinion, that more is far better "sounding" or less is far better "sounding"/......
In the end, I think most reasonable people do not think it is that big a deal.
 
I just got a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls (102db) which are being powered by a pair of Leak TL/12 Plus monoblocks which do not make more than about 8 WPC. The sound quality is superb and the loudness at full volume allows me to hear every detail in the music from my back yard with the door closed. One Watt of power makes them about the loudness of a pair of lawn mowers.
 
I just got a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls (102db) which are being powered by a pair of Leak TL/12 Plus monoblocks which do not make more than about 8 WPC. The sound quality is superb and the loudness at full volume allows me to hear every detail in the music from my back yard with the door closed. One Watt of power makes them about the loudness of a pair of lawn mowers.

I do not doubt it. I get the same.

Tell me, do you get all the low frequency vibrations you expect? Loud trombones make the seat cushion quiver?

Play this if you have a streaming source.


Does it sound full? Depending on the system performance, that track can sound huge and cavernous, or its just there.
 
Sooo purchasing a tube amp over 3 watts say for example would just be a waste of money?

No. I dont think so. I think the low wattage high efficiency philosophy is an intriguing and beguiling approach. It certainly has merit. I do find it is quite finicky with music choice, sound levels, and the reproduction is very different. If thats what you are going for, then you win. It is not perfect nor is it the nirvana I thought it would be. It does do things that are extremely appealing, but those come much less often than a traditional approach.

When I listen to the Carpenters on my 20 watt amp, Karen's voice is ethereal. It is unmatched with any other pairing. I think its because the subdued power does not add a weight that shouldnt be there. I love it when its doing that.
 
With all due respect, there are people far more experienced than you who disagree. Like for instance the guy from Arkansas who founded the company which has been manufacturing some of the most world-renown loudspeaker products since 1946.

There are many things in this world that are exotic, amazing, but not widely adopted. Because something exists doesnt validate it. There is always a section of a population that will like something the majority may not. Its just how the world is.

I think that low wattage high efficiency is valid, is very hard to put together effectively, and is actually a great deal of its appeal. The challenge is in large part the appeal.
 
I think people should stick with what makes them happy. If someone wants to piece together a system that puts out one watt and is content with that, who am I to tell them that they are wrong?

For me, well, even my headphone amplifier puts out more than one watt... One-watt would be hilariously inadequate for my music system. I currently run a 500+ wpc amp for my subwoofers and it's not uncommon for me to push it to the edge of soft clipping.

My 30 wpc ss does fine, but the 300 watt 15 inch sub is a game changer for me. I don't think 6 watts would be the same experience.

Yeah, quite a few people who have embraced the fleawatt philosophy also have one or more powered subs, but somehow those subwoofer amplifiers supplying hundreds of watts "doesn't count" when they say that they only need one watt.

Fact is, loud bass requires power. Some people don't listen to music that has much deep bass and/or don't listen loud, and that's fine. I like bass and I like to listen loud.
 
There are many things in this world that are exotic, amazing, but not widely adopted. Because something exists doesnt validate it. There is always a section of a population that will like something the majority may not. Its just how the world is.

I don't know what qualifies as "widely adopted" or not, but most typical listeners simply don't have the space a pair of large high sensitivity speakers. Complicating matters, some of them also have specific placement requirements. This however isn't necessarily a reflection of quality but practicality.
The fact that the original K-horn design has been produced continuously for over 70 years speaks for itself.

The main point is that the treatise of your original post is empirically false. Using a pair of Klipchorns as an example, 1 watt input produces 110 dB; 113 dB for a pair. Assuming an SPL of the material never exceeds 113 dB (or somewhat less at the listening position), there is nothing a 2 watt, or 2,000 watt amplifier is going to do that a hypothetical 1 watt amplifier can't do. This assumes all other things equal and none are overdriven. Now some listeners simply don't care for the sound of high sensitivity (horn) speakers. That is another discussion.
 
Last edited:
The main point is that the treatise of your original post is empirically false. Using a pair of Klipchorns as an example, 1 watt input produces 110 dB; 113 dB for a pair. Assuming an SPL of the material never exceeds 113 dB (or somewhat less at the listening position), there is nothing a 2 watt, or 2,000 watt amplifier is going to do that a hypothetical 1 watt amplifier can't do. This assumes all other things equal and none are overdriven. Now some listeners simply don't care for the sound of high sensitivity speakers. That is another discussion.

I have owned 102db speakers and tested them with many different amplifiers. The presentation and the weight is very different with flea watt and ample power. We disagree; and thats alright.
 
Back
Top Bottom