• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

The Original 10" ESS AMT1 Full Restoration, Alnico Re-cone. Heil Restoration.

Sure-well the new ESS woofer might work-a EBP number-or full specs you could figure it out.
This woofer would work well either sealed
https://store.miscospeakers.com/10-inch-woofer-93053
View attachment 2024338
Disregard the model #'s-gives you a rough idea of how the EBP numbers work.
A few members have used this in their AMT1's with excellent luck
Great specs and made locally.
A real throwback-like the discontinued Eminence 1040SF
1 1/2 copper voice coil/ polymide former/cotton spider, ploy ether surround and American pulp cone-couldn't ask for more IMHO. Perfect compliment to the Great Heil!

Thanks automojo! These woofers look very interesting and may be what I do.
 
Damage? Yeah there can be damage. My AMT 4s as they arrived from Audio Classics. However, all put together and working. Didnt have to buy new diaphragms.

View attachment 2024357 View attachment 2024359 View attachment 2024362 View attachment 2024364
A shame-looks the the cabs survived.
Unless you can palatize speakers-it's not worth shipping
Even with original boxes.
Truck freight is the only way-and still no guarantees.
I have dealt with truck freight shipments for 30 years-boy in the early days-it was a real crap shoot with certain carriers when contract negotiations were looming..
 
96C9A296-C714-41E6-810C-8B4BE6EF5B16.jpeg
Update with Mundorf Jantzen mix in mid and Heil section
Custom wound 12 gauge 2.4 coil - Mills resistors Erse Pulse X caps in bass
Cross over board treated with vibration reducing compound-and final mounting to cabinet will use a constrained layer custom made gasket I routed out around the back opening.
All the coils caps mounted on a layer of silicone then finally attached to reduce any extra vibrations.
A quick test a few weeks ago with first pair
There’s a definite improvement.
Best I can do to describe it is like a layer of noise has been removed and there’s a huge increase in the depth and width of the Highs/ mids.
There’s also an increase of at least a decibel or two in the overall efficiency judging from the volume knob position.
The last was one of my main goals with this cross over design.
Increased efficiency/ low bass inductance.
The Mundorff/Jantzen cap mix is more or less icing on the cake!!
FIY-stock crossover values-just seems to sound right to me.
 
Last edited:
Nice!!:)
Cool thing with these you could run them with the port plugged.
Make sure the are sealed to the baffle.
I like the P. E. speaker gasket rolls
If you need to dial in the damping, I would think about using acoustic foam- less resistive losses.
I think the other owner was happing with stock stuffing.
 
Just my 2cents.

I expermented a bit with moving the Heil back too align with the AMT1 Alnico woofers voice coils, and I felt it was more (time aligned, where the Heil was at originaly.

It could be these particular reconed woofers being smaller, and faster, but it sounded mis-timed when I moved the Heils back at any distance.

And the AMT1s are all Ported, yes, but they also use the floor as a simplistic secondary line chamber. The original design had the cabinate stuffed completely, but the new woofer Cones after the recone did not need this any longer. But only needs the walls of the cabinet treated for the best response, and speed.

Your supposed to use the AMT1s on carpet, then it shoots out the rear.
 
Last edited:
I mentioned I would try to load some product info on the older Monitors. This download was from 2000. Shows the products all in black. And the Monitor has dropped the flat disc passive for the cone passive.

2020-11-03_185148.jpg 2020-11-03_185210.jpg
 
Another version of the Monitor which might be the final version. This came from a full line flyer that shows the Heil with just the ceramic magnets in front instead of the stack of silver plates.

ESS Monitor from flyer.jpg
 
I just got notified my UPS delivered Misco drivers will arrive on Tuesday. I had to pay an extra $76 on duty and import fees from UPS. I hope these are worth it!

In the meantime, I am going to bring the AMT 4s up from the basement into my dining room lab this weekend. They will be driven by my McIntosh MA-6200 initially. I’ll create a new thread to follow this story.
 
I just got notified my UPS delivered Misco drivers will arrive on Tuesday. I had to pay an extra $76 on duty and import fees from UPS. I hope these are worth it!

In the meantime, I am going to bring the AMT 4s up from the basement into my dining room lab this weekend. They will be driven by my McIntosh MA-6200 initially. I’ll create a new thread to follow this story.
Huh? Duty and import fees? Isn't this an American distributed product?
 
This is a problem we face all the time, especially for small items like belts, cartridges, and styli. It is much more expensive for me to buy from the US than it is to buy from Europe or the UK. UPS charges a handling fee that is often double the duty. I try to buy from Canadian suppliers, but that isn’t always practical.
 
I just got notified my UPS delivered Misco drivers will arrive on Tuesday. I had to pay an extra $76 on duty and import fees from UPS. I hope these are worth it!

In the meantime, I am going to bring the AMT 4s up from the basement into my dining room lab this weekend. They will be driven by my McIntosh MA-6200 initially. I’ll create a new thread to follow this story.
Yes, too bad.
What are you currently running in them for woofers?
This member used them in a set of towers...
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...tower-restoration.874994/page-4#post-14037967
This member AMT1's.https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ess-amt-1.910390/
I think you will like the sound-they have excellent specs...a throwback design for sure-but that's really their strength-and designers have learned better how to get more output out of their woofers-along with a smooth response-at a more attractive price-especially the days when ESS made these.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom