• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The outlaws

91firebird

Super Member
well in my lp stash,found A best of the outlaws lp,what the hell,put t on the table,he'll this is a dam good album,lot of great tunes,great guitar work.the outlaws are country right?
 
Register to hide this ad
Well ... kind of Country rock. I saw them in the early days at the Warner Theatre here in DC -
Green Grass and High Tide, Hurry Sundown, etc ... fun stuff!

03/05/78 – Warner Theater – The Outlaws, and Seatrain
 
Southern Rock, sub-category Guitar Masters. From Tampa. Magnum Opus: Green Grass and High Tide, which I'm sure you heard on your compilation (I'm more impressed with the rhythm part than the solos, which tend to go on a bit). Known especially for their three-guitar attack with twin lead, AKA "The Florida Guitar Army."
 
Originally southern rock. They are the same band that tours as a country group today. The late Hughie Thomasson formed them. They do 52+ shows a year. Digging now.
It was the group Blackhawk, and they also tour as The Outlaws. They have current tour dates, none near me, but I am friends with their merch guy.
 
Never listened to much Outlaws material, maybe I oughtta give 'em a(nother) try? Same with Point Blank.
 
Outlaws before Skynyrd, even back in the day.

I recently started getting back into MT Band, so I got to thinkin' maybe there's sumthin' to appreciate in The Outlaws as well. I have dicovered some absolute gems re: numbers among the Tucker catalogue, on LPs I never owned way back when. Good stuff and Toy was a helluva good writer and player. A mellow, steady 8th-note feel that I think I like even more than I do the ABB b/c the numbers don;t have so much "Blues" in 'em, rather just good ol' "country pickin" n such.

Tucker were in your part of the world, IIRC?
 
^^PS: Dunno if one influenced the other or not, but I hear, in Tucker and The Dead, pickin' and tonal elements common to Toy and Garica, at least til circa '75, at which point Garcia started imbuing his "touch" with more jazz licks. His downfall IMO, I never enjoyed JG's playing, especially live, more than I did b/w 1969 and 1973. he was kinda untouchable in those days. '74 and after his tone became reedy, his bends unconvincing, and much of his note choices were too clever by half. And he seemed to have forgotten HOW to play chords.
 
The Outlaws are my favorite Southern Rock band and "Ghost Riders" is my favorite Outlaws album. I only wish "Green Grass..." and "Hurry Sundown" were on that one too.
 
Back
Top Bottom