• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The P-Mount owners club

I was given a pristine SL-5 years ago from my Aunt. I'm in need of a new stylus or cart at this point. It has the original AT112EP cartridge/stylus on it. Could someone recommend a decent new production cart or a replacement stylus for the AT112EP that would be less than $150? Something to get me by until I dump some money into a new table later this year or next year ($1200 budget).
 
I was given a pristine SL-5 years ago from my Aunt. I'm in need of a new stylus or cart at this point. It has the original AT112EP cartridge/stylus on it. Could someone recommend a decent new production cart or a replacement stylus for the AT112EP that would be less than $150? Something to get me by until I dump some money into a new table later this year or next year ($1200 budget).
I've owned both the SL-5 and the SL-5Q, and can report that the Grado Black3 was excellent on both of them.
 
I have an AT 112EP equivalent cartridge, the AT VS215. Got it NOS NIB a couple of years back. Nothing to write home about.
 
Well, I hate to dump too much money into this deck. Some folks say it’ll compete with up to new $1k tables, but somehow I have a hard time believing that. I’m very much just getting into this so I know nothing anyway.
 
Since you only need something to "get you by", why not an inexpensive genunine-A-T stylus. It's "only" a conical, but it would certainly make good sounds in the get-by period. About $30 shipped, and from a known-reliable vendor. I'm sure there are other alternatives.
 
I went ahead and ordered a 4212-DET. I’ve had great performance from the EVG Swiss nudes, with only 2 exceptions. This stylus should be good on both my p-mount, and (hopefully) my AT 14Sa.
 
Since you only need something to "get you by", why not an inexpensive genunine-A-T stylus. It's "only" a conical, but it would certainly make good sounds in the get-by period. About $30 shipped, and from a known-reliable vendor. I'm sure there are other alternatives.
So the real question is whether this table can compete with a more expensive new production one (i.e. do I need to "upgrade")? Being new I don't know for sure, but was making assumptions that it wouldn't. I could always put a AT85EP cart on there for $40 and call it a day as well. It's all very confusing.

I've tried to make a list so as to unclutter the info in my head. :
P-Mount SL-5 list
 
Your table is a good table. Your satisfaction with it will also depend on your cartridge+stylus mounted on it.

this is my thinking. That can be a very nice turntable

Blooze, I tried the Technics EPC-P24/22 and liked it a lot. The better the stylus, the better the cartridge and table. There is a vivid line for that one also

I'd toss in a couple of other options. I've run a Shure m104e on mine with a decent stylus, but haven't yet tried it with something higher end. I liked how it worked though. There are also Shure m110/Realistic RXT5 cartridges (running the latter on an SL-L2 right now)

Similarly, if you're willing to mess with styluses to find something you like, I've liked the Stanton L727/737/747 cartridges and have tried a few different styluses including the Vivid Line one and liked it
 
Recently I looked at quite a few VL styli. Only when you add to your shopping cart, and go to checkout, do you see the REAL price!! Last I looked, the S917VL still listed for $79.00. At checkout, it shows $130. So you can’t go by list price. (Edit: Now lists for $134.)

Point being, WAY too pricey for OP!!

That’s why I have the $31 4212-DET coming from TVOM. Swiss nude elliptical stylus for the AT112EP cartridge.

BTW, the 112EP is a better cart than the AT85, or 3472/3482/311/331/3003/6006/8008 etc.
 
Recently I looked at quite a few VL styli. Only when you add to your shopping cart, and go to checkout, do you see the REAL price!! Last I looked, the S917VL still listed for $79.00. At checkout, it shows $130. So you can’t go by list price. (Edit: Now lists for $134.)
The LP Gear Vivid Line upgrade for Technics EPS-24 EPS-24ES stylus is showing $98 in my cart.

I do want to express my gratitude for all the help and suggestions! Again, mind boggling selection even for these. Any suggestions assume I’ll be using the SL-5 for the next year, so $150 budget still stands.
 
Last edited:
Recently I looked at quite a few VL styli. Only when you add to your shopping cart, and go to checkout, do you see the REAL price!! Last I looked, the S917VL still listed for $79.00. At checkout, it shows $130. So you can’t go by list price. (Edit: Now lists for $134.)

Point being, WAY too pricey for OP!!

That’s why I have the $31 4212-DET coming from TVOM. Swiss nude elliptical stylus for the AT112EP cartridge.

BTW, the 112EP is a better cart than the AT85, or 3472/3482/311/331/3003/6006/8008 etc.

I think I mistakenly checked the regular LP replacement for the L727 series, but I've used that and like it as well

Good to know about the 112EP, I have a 8008 clone (or so I'm told) that I like, the DR950 and I've been trying to decide if I want so spend a bit to up the stylus level
 
For the AT “wedge” p-mount, I have the Swiss nude elliptical that I like, mounted on the AT331LP cartridge. Tracks at 1.3 grams. The 331 is the exact same as the 8008, and originally had the same red bonded Line Contact stylus as the 8008.

IMG_9706.jpeg

IMG_9704.jpeg

IMG_9877.jpeg
 
For the AT “wedge” p-mount, I have the Swiss nude elliptical that I like, mounted on the AT331LP cartridge. Tracks at 1.3 grams. The 331 is the exact same as the 8008, and originally had the same red bonded Line Contact stylus as the 8008.

View attachment 3009082

View attachment 3009083

View attachment 3009084

thank you for that - the AT cartridges are confusing to me! I inherited a few from some old Turntables and have had a hard time finding any info on them. I'll watch for the 112EP also!

I'll definitely try that stylus out - do you prefer it over the 213-SE from Audio Technica? Have you tried the 4213-DE also?

thanks again
 
thank you for that - the AT cartridges are confusing to me! I inherited a few from some old Turntables and have had a hard time finding any info on them. I'll watch for the 112EP also!

I'll definitely try that stylus out - do you prefer it over the 213-SE from Audio Technica? Have you tried the 4213-DE also?

thanks again

I’ve got a 4213-DE. It’s better than my original AT bonded elliptical sold as the 213-SE. The 4213-BE is the Swiss nude elliptical; it’s far and away better than the AT 213-SE.

I’ve got a 4212-DET on order for the VS215, pictured below.

IMG_9318.jpeg

IMG_6047.jpeg

IMG_5794.jpeg

IMG_9314.jpeg

IMG_9313.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about this for some time now. Got this VN45HE frame without stylus and a broken square shank and now it fits the V15LT. A snug fit. Just now I realize it could have been done without breaking the frame (see pic 2). I may try this with my VN45 SAS one day...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0618.jpeg
    IMG_0618.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0623.jpeg
    IMG_0623.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0626.jpeg
    IMG_0626.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0627.jpeg
    IMG_0627.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
thank you for that - the AT cartridges are confusing to me! I inherited a few from some old Turntables and have had a hard time finding any info on them. I'll watch for the 112EP also!

I'll definitely try that stylus out - do you prefer it over the 213-SE from Audio Technica? Have you tried the 4213-DE also?

thanks again


Got the Swiss nude elliptical stylus today.

IMG_1124.jpeg


I have to say, this little AT cartridge sounds very good with this nude elliptical stylus! I’m tracking it at 1.3 grams, and it’s clear, focused, full sounding. Not a hint of distortion or sibilance. Fit perfectly in the cartridge. Under a 25X loupe, the stylus tip is perfectly straight in all directions. Also, the 2 V-magnets are straight and where they should be. The suspension and mounting (yes, a screw!) is well done.

IMG_1126.jpeg
 
Last edited:
(...) Under a 25X loupe, the stylus tip is perfectly straight in all directions. (...)

In case you'd have an original AT102P family needle at hand, I'd suggest to also compare tip position/effective cantilever length, as that would be interesting for users with native T4P/P-mount arms.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Back
Top Bottom