• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
So, you built that ship many many many moons ago. :D Do you have anymore model ships?

I built "The Munsters" model car when I was a kid. ;)

Those "Munsters" cars were super popular when we were kids, as was anything by the Munsters. I built a Herman Munster model. Not sure whatever happened to it.

No, none. I got a HUGE model ship for my birthday at 14, but never put it together. My father (RIP) put it together as a project after he retired. Took him three months, but he did an outstanding job. I have NO idea whatever happened to that ship. I'd love to have it. But alas, it's gone.
 
Those "Munsters" cars were super popular when we were kids, as was anything by the Munsters. I built a Herman Munster model. Not sure whatever happened to it.

No, none. I got a HUGE model ship for my birthday at 14, but never put it together. My father (RIP) put it together as a project after he retired. Took him three months, but he did an outstanding job. I have NO idea whatever happened to that ship. I'd love to have it. But alas, it's gone.

Yes, the bigger the box, the more parts to put together. ;) I bet that ship looked really nice!

I do have a very large Clipper Ship vintage paint by numbers painting that I found at a thrift store years ago!
 
My son was always intrigued with me shaving, but I told him don't ever start or you'll regret it! :)
Well, now he gives me that yea dad you told me look when he has to shave & trim his beard!

Wisdom is surely a great equalizer! :thumbsup:

These work for me!

​
Rome
 
My son was always intrigued with me shaving, but I told him don't ever start or you'll regret it! :)
Well, now he gives me that yea dad you told me look when he has to shave & trim his beard!

Wisdom is surely a great equalizer! :thumbsup:

These work for me!

​
Rome

I got into straight razor shaving because of my Grandfather. He was a Depression era man. I believe he was born around 1890, so he raised a family during the great depression. He had a good job at the time as a railroad engineer, but still, times were tough. He never splurged on ANYTHING. He had a Solingen (Germany) straight razor that I'm sure he had for decades. He would sit at his kitchen table with a mirror and a basin and his styptic pencil every other morning and shave. This fascinated me as a young boy.

I used to sit and watch him straight razor shave. The stropping of the razor combined with the occasional honing to produce a fine edge cost him nothing compared to the luxury of buying double edge razor blades. He'd not even buy shaving soap. He would shave off some pieces from the bathroom Ivory Soap bar and whip that up onto a lather in his shaving mug with a brush that was probably 20 years old. I couldn't wait to start shaving. I remember at 15 I shaved my upper lip. Then at 17 my whole face. And like you said, once you start, that's it.

I find (as he did) that a straight razor honed and stropped to a superior edge produces a shave so close that I can go 2 day before re-shaving. I can also achieve this with a Feather blade and three passes in a double edge razor, but I enjoy using my straight razors. I collect them and buy used ones that I recondition, re-scale, hone and strop.
 
I bet many of you gents had no idea that Listerine used to be advertised as an aftershave;

listerine_shave.jpeg
 
I got into straight razor shaving because of my Grandfather. He was a Depression era man. I believe he was born around 1890, so he raised a family during the great depression. He had a good job at the time as a railroad engineer, but still, times were tough. He never splurged on ANYTHING. He had a Solingen (Germany) straight razor that I'm sure he had for decades. He would sit at his kitchen table with a mirror and a basin and his styptic pencil every other morning and shave. This fascinated me as a young boy.

I used to sit and watch him straight razor shave. The stropping of the razor combined with the occasional honing to produce a fine edge cost him nothing compared to the luxury of buying double edge razor blades. He'd not even buy shaving soap. He would shave off some pieces from the bathroom Ivory Soap bar and whip that up onto a lather in his shaving mug with a brush that was probably 20 years old. I couldn't wait to start shaving. I remember at 15 I shaved my upper lip. Then at 17 my whole face. And like you said, once you start, that's it.

I find (as he did) that a straight razor honed and stropped to a superior edge produces a shave so close that I can go 2 day before re-shaving. I can also achieve this with a Feather blade and three passes in a double edge razor, but I enjoy using my straight razors. I collect them and buy used ones that I recondition, re-scale, hone and strop.

Yea Billy,
I watched my grandfather shave with the mug & brush technique. It was a good time for me to see him shave, the cream he used had such a lather to it. He used a straight razor too. Couldn't get that as a kid. A bit too squeamish I guess! :)

You surely have a fine arsenal of shaving tools! I bet it smells rather nice in your room! :thumbsup:

Rome
 
Last edited:
I've been using the cheap disposable razors, ever since my Braun electric crapped out. They work and are quick. But I hate using plastic and want something more environmentally green.

I want safe, quick and low cost. I'm going to give the traditional safety razor a try. Any recommendations on sharp and long lasting blades? Thanks.
 
I've been using the cheap disposable razors, ever since my Braun electric crapped out. They work and are quick. But I hate using plastic and want something more environmentally green.

I want safe, quick and low cost. I'm going to give the traditional safety razor a try. Any recommendations on sharp and long lasting blades? Thanks.

Get a Gillette Slim Adjustable on the bay and then some blades:

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/co...e-packs/products/de-blade-sampler-pack-choice

You’ll have to figure out to see what blade suits you the best.

An amazing and cheap cream here:

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/shaving-creams-and-soaps/products/speick-shaving-cream

And finally a cheap Omega brush will get you started just fine. Linking to WCS because they have free shipping at the moment.

An initial investment of about $50 - $60 will provide you a couple of months of wonderful shaving. After I started wet shaving, all irritations on my skin disappeared. Shaving has become a very enjoyable and peaceful time of day for me.

BillyBatts should chime in soon as well with some other pointers I’m sure. :-)
 
o_Oo_O
Get a Gillette Slim Adjustable on the bay and then some blades:

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/co...e-packs/products/de-blade-sampler-pack-choice

You’ll have to figure out to see what blade suits you the best.

An amazing and cheap cream here:

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/shaving-creams-and-soaps/products/speick-shaving-cream

And finally a cheap Omega brush will get you started just fine. Linking to WCS because they have free shipping at the moment.

An initial investment of about $50 - $60 will provide you a couple of months of wonderful shaving. After I started wet shaving, all irritations on my skin disappeared. Shaving has become a very enjoyable and peaceful time of day for me.

BillyBatts should chime in soon as well with some other pointers I’m sure. :)
Thanks! I went shopping, spaced out and got everything but the razor.o_O
 
A friend got me into wet shaving a few years ago. I don't plan on going back to disposable razors (cheap or expensive) ever! He gifted me a Merkur 38C razor. I've tried different blades but I like Feather's the best. For me this combo works so well it's like wiping soap of off your face, effortless. A better shave than I've ever gotten from a disposable.
At the moment I'm using some brand (forgot which) of Bay Rum shave soap. Lathers up very well and gives the razor a smooth ride. I've also used Razor Rock XXX and a few others.
I went old school with the aftershave with Aqua-Velva and Pinaud Clubman.
Crazy as it seems, a few years back I bid about 2 bucks on a cheap Chinese made DE razor on ebay and won it. I shaves almost as well as the Merkur. Go figure.
 
A friend got me into wet shaving a few years ago. I don't plan on going back to disposable razors (cheap or expensive) ever! He gifted me a Merkur 38C razor. I've tried different blades but I like Feather's the best. For me this combo works so well it's like wiping soap of off your face, effortless. A better shave than I've ever gotten from a disposable.
At the moment I'm using some brand (forgot which) of Bay Rum shave soap. Lathers up very well and gives the razor a smooth ride. I've also used Razor Rock XXX and a few others.
I went old school with the aftershave with Aqua-Velva and Pinaud Clubman.
Crazy as it seems, a few years back I bid about 2 bucks on a cheap Chinese made DE razor on ebay and won it. I shaves almost as well as the Merkur. Go figure.

I'm traveling at present and have a Chinese Double Edge with me as well as a Chinese Gold Dollar straight razor. Chinese product is exactly where Japanese product used to be in the 60s. Some thought it was junk, but over time, realized it was good stuff! Same with a lot of Chinese shaving product. Chinese blades are not bad, and the razors are not bad either! I choose Chinese when I travel because if I lose it or if it breaks, I'm not out a lot of money and can replace it easily.

Aqua-Velva and Clubman are classics. I have them in my shaving den. I also have Skin Bracer that pairs well with Arko Shaving Stick shaving cream. I travel with that because it's a good combo and packs well.

I'll snap a pic of my travel shaving set-up while I'm traveling when I get up tomorrow morning.
 
o_Oo_O
Thanks! I went shopping, spaced out and got everything but the razor.o_O

Welcome to classic Wet Shaving my friend! Good on you. DE razors are tried and true and good for the environment. Heck, you can even recycle the blades if you wish. I do. Then you can even take it further and go Straight Razor and never have to buy blades again! But if you stay with a DE (Double Edge) that's fine too. DE razors with a blade that matches your shaving style and skin can be an amazing way to shave.

Feather Blades (Japan) are super sharp. Lord Blades (Egypt) are my personal favorite for sharpness VS comfort. I also like Bolzano (Italy), Super Max Chrome (India) and Voskhod (Russia), You can't just say ONE blade is the best overall because it really depends on each individual. Shaving style, Razor reveal (the opening in the razor where the blade is presented), and skin make a difference. I suppose if I had to choose only one blade forever it would probably be Lord. But Feather would be a close 2nd. Experiment! You never know what blade will match your skin, your shaving style, and your razor reveal. You can get sample kits of blades at Amazon. Try a few!

Skin prep is very important. Make sure you wash your face and soften the whiskers. Some use a hot towel. Some shave after a shower. A good lather is important. As is a quality aftershave. Go slow and enjoy the shave. My bet is you'll wind up with a BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) shave and never go back to disposables again.

Enjoy! Keep us posted.
 
Welcome to classic Wet Shaving my friend! Good on you. DE razors are tried and true and good for the environment. Heck, you can even recycle the blades if you wish. I do. Then you can even take it further and go Straight Razor and never have to buy blades again! But if you stay with a DE (Double Edge) that's fine too. DE razors with a blade that matches your shaving style and skin can be an amazing way to shave.

Feather Blades (Japan) are super sharp. Lord Blades (Egypt) are my personal favorite for sharpness VS comfort. I also like Bolzano (Italy), Super Max Chrome (India) and Voskhod (Russia), You can't just say ONE blade is the best overall because it really depends on each individual. Shaving style, Razor reveal (the opening in the razor where the blade is presented), and skin make a difference. I suppose if I had to choose only one blade forever it would probably be Lord. But Feather would be a close 2nd. Experiment! You never know what blade will match your skin, your shaving style, and your razor reveal. You can get sample kits of blades at Amazon. Try a few!

Skin prep is very important. Make sure you wash your face and soften the whiskers. Some use a hot towel. Some shave after a shower. A good lather is important. As is a quality aftershave. Go slow and enjoy the shave. My bet is you'll wind up with a BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) shave and never go back to disposables again.

Enjoy! Keep us posted.
Thanks for all the great info! I think I have great place too start with the different razors.
 
Given a choice I think I'd rather skip a shave than resort to a plastic disposable. I like the results I get from my DE that much. Besides, there are economic reasons. I just peeped on the 'bay, Wilkinson Sword CLASSIC 50 blades for $13.99. That's about 8 cartridges for one of those fancy multi-blade thingamajigs.
 
Shave of the Day Sunday Evening 10-21 - An OLD SPICE LIME Shave

Alwin Straight Razor (Ontario Cutlery Geneva NY Circa 1935)
Old Spice Lime Shaving Cream (Imported - India)
Vie Long Horsehair Brush
Homebrew Astringent (Witch Hazel - White Willow Bark - Tea Tree Oil - Aloe Vera)
Old Spice Lime Aftershave (Imported - India)

IMG-20181021-233150.jpg
 
The wife makes me keep my little corner at bay. I had two of these stands made, gifted the other to my brother in law along with the obligatory Gillette’s. (slim and fatboy)

I pref a long handle super adjustable with a feather. (Black beauty) Never could fathom using a straight razor, I twitch to much.


207CAD92-FE2C-477B-BBC4-49E36ADC36A4.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom