• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The smoker is working...

abpeep

OU Sucks!!
Subscriber
Lots of family at my place tomorrow...er, later today. This is my night:

attachment.php


Last look at these until about 5:00 AM. Just feeding the firebox until then.

attachment.php


attachment.php


About ten pounds of sausage to do in the morning.
 

Attachments

  • 2015_04_04-Easter-brisket-3.jpg
    2015_04_04-Easter-brisket-3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 2015_04_04-Easter-brisket-1.jpg
    2015_04_04-Easter-brisket-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 2015_04_04-Easter-brisket-2.jpg
    2015_04_04-Easter-brisket-2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 168
Register to hide this ad
I was wondering if anyone else was doing the allnighter. I have two hams going in the BBQ. My smoker decided to call it quits just as I was putting them in. Then my wireless/remote thermometer went out and won't transmit. Needless to say, it has been a long night.

I had things pretty much on auto pilot when I use the smoker, now I am needing to check it more often and my back up thermometer which I was using to check cooking temp is now in the meat.That being said, I really enjoy these long nights with the house top myself. The family just went to bad as we have been prepping for probably 20-25 people or so tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll get a couple hours of sleep if my hams get to temp and then I still have poppers and brussel sprouts to make up. The good thing is I can do those much quicker on the grill.

Good luck. :thmbsp:
 
How much is brisket a lb. down there? When my cousin lived in Witchata Falls, it was only .99lb. (a few years back).
 
How much is brisket a lb. down there? When my cousin lived in Witchata Falls, it was only .99lb. (a few years back).

Well I think brisket is now fashionable in MA. Would you believe $8 to $10 a lb? In many cases more expensive than I can buy a slab of NY strip at Costco. Go figure. Speaking of fashionable, chicken wings go for $2 to $3 a lb! Once things become fashionable up here, the price goes through the roof.

Well, no smoker today, but how about fried turkey?

And yes, that is snow (or ice) in the picture. There is still snow/ice in the shade and in the piles where it was snow blown to clear the driveway.
 

Attachments

  • turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 61
Well I think brisket is now fashionable in MA. Would you believe $8 to $10 a lb? In many cases more expensive than I can buy a slab of NY strip at Costco. Go figure. Speaking of fashionable, chicken wings go for $2 to $3 a lb! Once things become fashionable up here, the price goes through the roof.

Well, no smoker today, but how about fried turkey?

And yes, that is snow (or ice) in the picture. There is still snow/ice in the shade and in the piles where it was snow blown to clear the driveway.
Agreed, heck Catfish was never highly regarded, (most likely due to the bottom feeder stigma), but once the Catfish farmers cleaned them up, the price went through the roof. Catfish is still my favorite.
 
Agreed, heck Catfish was never highly regarded, (most likely due to the bottom feeder stigma), but once the Catfish farmers cleaned them up, the price went through the roof. Catfish is still my favorite.

Now you are making me hungry and I am full of turkey from lunch!

Catfish, either deep fried with a coating of corn meal and cayenne pepper or just baked with some cayenne pepper sounds good to me.

Food prices keep going up. The annoying thing is that the even "cheap" food is now expensive. In some cases, like chicken wings, things are absurdly priced for what you get.
 
I didn't get any pics of the finished product and not much left now.

How much is brisket a lb. down there? When my cousin lived in Witchata Falls, it was only .99lb. (a few years back).

Usual price for packer cut briskets is around $3.29 to 3.59/lb. I went last Sunday morning and they had them on special for $1.98/lb. - limit two.

I remember being able to pick up those 99 cent briskets.
 
Here in Tecumseh Oklahoma about once every 2 or three months our Firelake grocery store has a sale on the 3 ft pork loin at .99 cents a pound as well as the pork butt/shoulder. That's when I stock up.
I been practicing how to butcher meat too. My next step is to get a meat grinder.
 
That's a big ass smoker! I've got a smaller box unit, stays at a constant 90 degrees Centigrade on low heat. Slow cooking and smoking at the same time.

How much are pork ribs in the USA? They are $19 here in Australia (about $14 USD) and are the most expensive cut of pork.

It's like the catfish the cheapest, gristle-ist, sinew-ist, cut of pork has become the most expensive!
 
That's a big ass smoker! I've got a smaller box unit, stays at a constant 90 degrees Centigrade on low heat. Slow cooking and smoking at the same time.

How much are pork ribs in the USA? They are $19 here in Australia (about $14 USD) and are the most expensive cut of pork.

It's like the catfish the cheapest, gristle-ist, sinew-ist, cut of pork has become the most expensive!

Ribs are expensive for sure. For the last few years I've been buying belly instead at around AU$12/kg.

I did buy basa (Mekong catfish) fillets half price at Coles last week. AU$5.50/kg
 
That's a big ass smoker! I've got a smaller box unit, stays at a constant 90 degrees Centigrade on low heat. Slow cooking and smoking at the same time.

How much are pork ribs in the USA? They are $19 here in Australia (about $14 USD) and are the most expensive cut of pork.

It's like the catfish the cheapest, gristle-ist, sinew-ist, cut of pork has become the most expensive!

My local store (Food City) has them at $4.99/lb.
 
Sorry no time for pictures yet, there is work to be done. Three 4 lb boneless pork shoulders and one 7 1/2 lb brisket (alas only a flat cut not a packer cut but you make do with what you can get) are in the smoker, now time to watch and wait.
 
Now that I am stuffed, here is what it looked like.

Dry rub was just plain commercial Mexican chili powder.

All in all a success!

I am finding that I have to run with wood in addition to charcoal in the firebox in order to keep it hot enough. Also, I run a bit hotter than most purists at 250 or so, sometimes a bit hotter at times. That way I can finish in 8 hours rather then 12.
 

Attachments

  • Smoke_Start.jpg
    Smoke_Start.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Smoke_End.jpg
    Smoke_End.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Dinner_Small.jpg
    Dinner_Small.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom