• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

There, they're, and their.

moinau-- the french exclamation 'voila!' = 'there it is!' or 'done!' or, 'look upon this with shock and amazement!' is often rendered by those who only know it phonetically as 'wallah!', or, misspelled as 'viola!'


Mon Dieu!

Or as they say in Texas "Madre de Dios!"
 
Mon Dieu!

Or as they say in Texas "Madre de Dios!"

Again, I took Spanish in public Grammar School, but I thought those translated as "My God!" and "Mother Of God!" I had French in College so it is suspect. I remember so little from the 60s!...:beatnik:

Merrylander, you cracked me up, that was the first 45 I ever bought.
 
I believe the correct version is what my wife uses "Ay Dios Mio", peut etre c'est la meme chose que "Mon Dieu"

I don't know about your Spanish but, your Français is very good.
Peut-être que c'est la même chose que 'Mon Dieu' can be translated in English, and I'm sure you already know that, as 'My God' meaning that you are very surprised of what you just seen or heard. If a French speaking person use it twice as 'Mon Dieu! Mon Dieu!' something terrible as just happened. Spanish speaking people might have something very similar while expressing themselves.:yes:
 
Can you read the following? Yy u r yy u b I c u r yy 4 me.

Too wise you are, too wise you be, I see you are too wise for me.

(borrowed from the net)
 
In general, affect is a verb and effect is a noun.

Examples:

Eating and sleeping affects your health.

Happiness is an effect of listening to good speakers.

Now, for a more challenging topic: "toward" vs. "towards"--"toward" is typically used more in American English, while "towards" is used more in British english.

Additionally, avoid ending sentences with prepositions. For example:

Where did a topic like that come from? -- incorrect

From where did a topic like that come? -- correct


OK, how about "A" and "an"

I can still to this day, picture my elementary teaching saying "an comes before a vowel" like "an apple, an interesting item, an optomistic event"

and the letter "A" comes before all others

"a bat, a cat, a trying event..."

I now hear people use the phrase "an historic......"

So.... when you use the specific word historic is it "A historic event" or "An historic event" ???

It is like fingernails on chalkboard when I hear someone say 'an historic' but I don't know that I'm right.
 
Actually Moinau 'mon Francais' is getting rather rusty considering que j me suis nee a St. Lambert sur le rive sud du St. Laurent. Mais comme on dit Je me faire mon possible.:D. My job was transferred to Ottawa in 1970 and I moved here in 84, very few people to converse with.
 
The rule is that AN comes before a vowel SOUND to be a bit picky. Some people barely breath the H in historic so that while a historic is correct an historic has come to be accepted.
 
I've wondered about "an historic" too.


Has anyone mentioned "sale" and "sell"?

From a French speaking person: they are exception to every rules. For me "an historic event" sounds better to my ear. "sale" and "sell" hmmm, well, if there is a SALE going on in your town, you might be able to SELL your old gramophone, and people knows that if you have a "gramophone" it is old.:D:D:D:D
 
Actually Moinau 'mon Francais' is getting rather rusty considering que j me suis nee a St. Lambert sur le rive sud du St. Laurent. Mais comme on dit Je me faire mon possible.:D. My job was transferred to Ottawa in 1970 and I moved here in 84, very few people to converse with.
I have the same problem, born in St-Henri Monréal, joined the forces in 66 and since then, surrounded by Anglo and a small French minority that help me somewhat to keep in touch. My French has suffer, and my English is no better, a jack of all trades and a master of none. My sister presently live in St-Lambert. She's been there for the past 40 years. What I like while typing, is that I use a French key-board, easier for the multitude of accents that Latin people uses.:yes:
 
The rule is that AN comes before a vowel SOUND to be a bit picky. Some people barely breath the H in historic so that while a historic is correct an historic has come to be accepted.

Gotcha... so those of us who enunciate well are penalized by those who don't!

:D
 
OK, how about "A" and "an"

I can still to this day, picture my elementary teaching saying "an comes before a vowel" like "an apple, an interesting item, an optomistic event"

and the letter "A" comes before all others

"a bat, a cat, a trying event..."

I now hear people use the phrase "an historic......"

So.... when you use the specific word historic is it "A historic event" or "An historic event" ???

It is like fingernails on chalkboard when I hear someone say 'an historic' but I don't know that I'm right.

I go with a historic event but an honor. It kind of expands your teacher's rules.
 
Back
Top Bottom