• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

They think I'm silly!!!

RaymondLeggs

Super Member
Banned
I am a big fan of older audio ger but my family doesnt understand why I'd rather buy Old equipment instead of buying new All-modern and computerized equipment because they say that "that old stuff aint no good you need to buy new stuff". and stuff like that.

They seem to thing that if it cant go up really loud then its no good and that the receivers have "played out" at about 10 WPC I set realistic gols for my system I just bought a pair old magnavox bookshelf speakers which are pretty sensitive so the loudness thing doesnt appy anymore.

One other complaint is that I refuse to accept any offers on brand new speakers and equipment and this annoys them. My mother offered to buy me a Big RCA stereo with window smashing bass but I snobbishy refused the offer and insisted on buyin/keeping old components. They say for all the money I have spent I could have a smaller but brand new system that can be taken back if it stops working and crap like that.

hers the use equipment that I Actually still use and how much i paid for it..

$25.00 on used bookshelf speakers
$25.00 on Techwood CD changer.
$3.00 on techics EQ
$2.00 on realistic EQ with stereo expander
$5.00 for sanui tape deck and tuner
$5.00 for superscope R1220 receiver
$10.00 on old SD shelf speakers
$8.00 on old SD tower speakers (planning on replacing the fullrange driver with a woofer and a peizo tweeter)
$10.00 for JVC tape deck
$2.00 on kenwood tape deck
$6.00 for SD mini receiver with speakers
$40.00 for SD Stereo with built in TT and speakers
$3.00 for old zenith VCR
$15.00 for Durabrand DVD player
$2.00 for JVC Dual Cassette deck
$3.00 for a CD tower (thing is heavy MDF)
$2.00 for a turntable which i threw away and sved the mat for use wit the SD TT
$1.00 for MGT Dual cone fullrange drivers

Total roughly $167.00 I dont even want to imagine what the real total is plus cash! :yikes:
 
Register to hide this ad
If your system sounds good to you then all other opinions are of no consequence. I used to buy what others told me was good, now I buy what my ears tell me is good. I find I play the music a lot more as a result.
 
Dude, you're a scrounger after my own heart. My wife rolls her eyes every time I conjure an excuse to go down into the audio dungeon and try for the fourth time to pry a forty year old attenuator apart, or dismantle yet another curbside find and spray even more mysterious stuff on the innards. And then there was the time I resurrected a little realistic receiver (sta-21, still going strong) bit by bit, replacing dead lights, painstakingly dripping alcohol into the tuning cap. "So how much is this one worth?" She asked. "about $10," I said, being as truthful as possible. She just walked away, no doubt confident her thrust could not be parried. that little transistor amp is worth less than the new can of deoxit i had to buy to finish it. But its real value is elusive to those not bitten by the bug.
 
Tell em' you don't want any toy audio gear.

Yeah those all in ones are nothing but flashing gimics to me. I had a Big JVC one and the CD/DVD changer Ate 2 of my movies! :eek:

I hooked up my old emerson stereo after that and used that thing until I got bitten by the vintage component bug. i'm giving it to a freind the damn thing still works like new exept the cassette deck eats tapes with a vengance! the CD player plays better than even the newest stereo's with thier flimsy changers.

I love the soundesign receiver with turntable and built in cabinet I got for 40.00 I bet back in its day led zepplin was blasted on volume 10 every day!!
Now to find me som led zepplin vinyl. Is been hard finding good vinyl at the local thrift stores I have came across about 10 records which i now own! their in mint condition too no scratches!!!:banana::music:

wait I love all my gear!!:D:banana:


Dude, you're a scrounger after my own heart. My wife rolls her eyes every time I conjure an excuse to go down into the audio dungeon and try for the fourth time to pry a forty year old attenuator apart, or dismantle yet another curbside find and spray even more mysterious stuff on the innards. And then there was the time I resurrected a little realistic receiver (sta-21, still going strong) bit by bit, replacing dead lights, painstakingly dripping alcohol into the tuning cap. "So how much is this one worth?" She asked. "about $10," I said, being as truthful as possible. She just walked away, no doubt confident her thrust could not be parried. that little transistor amp is worth less than the new can of deoxit i had to buy to finish it. But its real value is elusive to those not bitten by the bug.

Yeah I get the same thing from my mom, and gradmother whenever I mentioned paying $80.00 for a receiver witrh 8 track and built in TT its still at the same thrift shop nobody has bought it but it still works great...:sigh: I guess I'll never get my hands on an 8 track player..:tears: I never heard one up close bfore but i did hear one on youtube....:D
 
Sound like you have invested wisely. The new RCA can't do all the things that your acquisitions can. Never mind the quality of sound. If the RCA is an all in one unit, just look at the THD specs and you will feel much better about your choices. Besides, its you who must live with the sound. Tell them to get educated on the subject and come back with a little more tools to back up their positions. Just because a switch can turn itself on doesn't make it a better switch, or make the music sound any better. Enjoy.
 
I'd leave that 8-track component right where it sits. I'm sure someone here is gonna flame me for this but they are just way too labor intensive to screw around with. Not only that but without a matchbook or 2 they normally sound like old dog doo-doo. The matchbook brings the sonics to a NEW dog doo-doo level.

If your Mom insists on buying you some new equipment just point her to the McIntosh store and let her go to town:D Bet she wouldn't bother you again about the subject :lmao:
 
I am a big fan of older audio ger but my family doesnt understand why I'd rather buy Old equipment instead of buying new All-modern and computerized equipment because they say that "that old stuff aint no good you need to buy new stuff". and stuff like that.

I love people like your family :D ... these the same people that look at a Pioneer SX-1250 or Sansui G8000 and say " That old piece of junk, sure that thing must be 30 years old... how about $30 and we call it square"

hehehehe....


But to me it's more than getting good quality gear for a good price. I love the thrill of finding good gear at TS's and GW's or on the side of the street (haven't seen anything on the side of the street yet but you can rest assured that if I do spot something I'm stopping for it!!)....

Its a hobby that once you are into full bore has almost no limits.... you will always look for that "next" piece which has been on your minds "gotta get" list.....

I also like working on these old pieces and reviving them to there once glory... nothing like taking a piece that is run down and sad looking, then after a bit of elbow grease, some contact cleaner, and maybe melt some solder you have a wonderful piece that can be once again appreciated...

I dunno... just my take... I started with an old Sears LXI integrated amp which I wanted for a simple basement bar system, now I have two amps for the bar and a Pioneer SX-3600 receiver for the living room, lol...


'
 
If your system sounds good to you then all other opinions are of no consequence. I used to buy what others told me was good, now I buy what my ears tell me is good. I find I play the music a lot more as a result.
Ain't that the truth !! :thmbsp:

- Richard B.
 
I have an $85 system right now, I have another $20 receiver, and a broken $30 amp and I'm borrowing a tape deck (cassette, not 8 track). I spent considerably more on a guitar and amp combo, at $150. Plus I've made money reselling stereo gear, which brings that down to $100 invested in old gear all told.
My parents hate it and say that it's old and stuff, but they do admit my old Sansui blows the living room's modern Harmon Kardon out of the water. And that's through $10 speakers, the living room has NICE Polks.
 
I'd leave that 8-track component right where it sits. I'm sure someone here is gonna flame me for this but they are just way too labor intensive to screw around with. Not only that but without a matchbook or 2 they normally sound like old dog doo-doo. The matchbook brings the sonics to a NEW dog doo-doo level.

If your Mom insists on buying you some new equipment just point her to the McIntosh store and let her go to town:D Bet she wouldn't bother you again about the subject :lmao:

Actually ithe 8 track is not a component its an entire receiver albiet a big one
with twin VU meterss and a nice light up dial it looks I dentical to a certain pioneer receiver if you chop off the TT and the side wit the 8 track and cassette deck! but its an SD receiver.

I'm just trying to make an excuse to sneak in another receiver,I guss I can find another one cheaper infact there is a similar unit at a junk shop on the corner for $10.00 and it works just as good... I wished the the lady would let me have the speakers too but she said that would be $20.00 extra! :eek:
I didnt buy it either even thouth the receiver is all i wanted really I guess I'm excercising my greed...................:D

I have too many speakers anyway..:sigh: yeah right you can never have too many speakers!
 
Throw out those !@#$%^&*()_+| tubes!

My dad years ago scolded me for collecting tubes, "get rid of all those F...... tubes, they are obsolete, no one is using them any more, they are just junk!"

I convinced him to let me keep them if I put them on a back shelf high up in the garage, glad I did, my Sansui 1000A is running some of them right now!:banana:

Mark T.:music:
 
The more people who eventually "get a clue" just means the higher the prices will go for vintage gear and the harder it will be to find.

Plus, it's not about convincing others. Who cares. For example, I think collecting stamps is pretty silly.
 
Zeppelin on vinyl is perhaps the best way to listen to them. Finding the best pressings of LZ is a reward unto itself. Get to know your deadwax.

Darn straight. I just got a dead mint Physical graffiti on the original brown Swan Song label. Forgot just how good that album REALLY sounds.
 
Actually ithe 8 track is not a component its an entire receiver albiet a big one
with twin VU meterss and a nice light up dial it looks I dentical to a certain pioneer receiver if you chop off the TT and the side wit the 8 track and cassette deck! but its an SD receiver.

I'm just trying to make an excuse to sneak in another receiver,I guss I can find another one cheaper infact there is a similar unit at a junk shop on the corner for $10.00 and it works just as good... I wished the the lady would let me have the speakers too but she said that would be $20.00 extra! :eek:
I didnt buy it either even thouth the receiver is all i wanted really I guess I'm excercising my greed...................:D

I have too many speakers anyway..:sigh: yeah right you can never have too many speakers!


I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are many "better" opportunities out there besides what you are looking at. Trust me, save your change and wait. What you have is just the start of an outstanding system.

Don't get me wrong, what you enjoy is fantastic. That's what this hobby is about, what YOU enjoy. I'm just saying that there are much better goodies out there for you.

Here's my example: I've waited for some nice speakers for quite a while. Along comes some nice Klipsch Cornwalls. Price is right, not high, not low. I bought them sight unseen. Very nice.

6 months later some Altec 604s come along, price is right. They now reside in my living room.

Picked up some nice old speakers this week. Price was very right and that's all I'm going to say.

Along the way many amps and receivers have appeared as well. I'm not saying to not settle with SD and Yorx, there is just way better out there for little more.

Best,
Bob
 
Back
Top Bottom