MunkeyQ
Super Member
I've managed to put some vintage gear in every room of the house - main system is an SX-1250 and a Philips CD204 driving a pair of 1974 Kefs, and downstairs lives a Sony STR-6046 wired to four old Technics speakers placed around the rooms.
Total cost for everything: £0, $0. Everything was pulled from dustbins or dumpsters and repaired using bits I had around - the Kefs needed their ABRs refoaming and the Sony's volume pot had a bad solder joint. Not bad for 30 year old stuff...I've got a feeling today's plastic stuff won't last nearly as long as the vintage gear we collect.
Before the Sony took up residence downstairs, my parents bought an hulking great expensive Aiwa thing with flashing lights. It lasted 8 months before refusing to switch on.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but how old are you Raymond?
Total cost for everything: £0, $0. Everything was pulled from dustbins or dumpsters and repaired using bits I had around - the Kefs needed their ABRs refoaming and the Sony's volume pot had a bad solder joint. Not bad for 30 year old stuff...I've got a feeling today's plastic stuff won't last nearly as long as the vintage gear we collect.
Before the Sony took up residence downstairs, my parents bought an hulking great expensive Aiwa thing with flashing lights. It lasted 8 months before refusing to switch on.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but how old are you Raymond?