• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD-124 Project Turntable

I used what was there on the original idler. I believe it was a small white nylon bushing with a red phenolic washer. It aligned up perfect.

Mine had/has the red phenolic on the bottom and the small white nylon one on top......... The new idler comes with new bushings.... so will see.

Still waiting for the motor rebuilder to contact me......... looking forward to actually do this. One of these days maybe I'll be able to get to work on the Marantz 2270 sitting in the bottom of my closet :-)
 
Probably not a fair test since I just cleaned the idler wheel and platter. When cold it's slower but right now while it has been turned off and on several times:
- 5 seconds to speed (cold from overnight is probably 20 sec)
- a few seconds to stabilize. (I think the on off switch might be a little tight on the speed controller as I think it moves it slightly when you turn off and on.) So sometimes slight adjustment needed. But after all ... it's not a "quartz-lock" :-)

Yup, you need to have the motor serviced alright. 20 seconds is waaay too long.
See: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=584516

I'm glad to hear that you found an affordable solution!
 
Update on progress... or not! Unfortunately something happened to the person who does the motor rebuilds in SF. He's either on an extended vacation or something else. His Ebay site is not reflecting the situation. So I will have to send it to another person. I will do that later this month.

I put in the new idler wheel with the fatter red "tire" (it came with four) and the idler became almost not audible... you have to be sure the seam on the "tire" is inside the mounting groove.

I installed the Mk2 conversion posts and installed the springs. Wasn't sure if the intermediate plate really needs to be there anymore, so I left it for now, but it is loose. So, this upgrade works fine, but when tested with the stylus on the record, I could still hear the physical motor hum.... rebuild will be necessary. But, rumble is down to nothing.....!:-)
 
Update on progress... or not! Unfortunately something happened to the person who does the motor rebuilds in SF. He's either on an extended vacation or something else. His Ebay site is not reflecting the situation. So I will have to send it to another person. I will do that later this month.

I put in the new idler wheel with the fatter red "tire" (it came with four) and the idler became almost not audible... you have to be sure the seam on the "tire" is inside the mounting groove.

I installed the Mk2 conversion posts and installed the springs. Wasn't sure if the intermediate plate really needs to be there anymore, so I left it for now, but it is loose. So, this upgrade works fine, but when tested with the stylus on the record, I could still hear the physical motor hum.... rebuild will be necessary. But, rumble is down to nothing.....!:-)

Two must have mods IMO. Get the motor rebuilt and your on your way to a great sounding TT. I left the plate on mine. I think its there to keep crap from getting in the motor.
 
If you buy Jim's rebuild kit on eBay, Norm at Sertech in San Jose can do the rebuild. He did just fine on mine. Take him the whole table and he'll check it out for any other problems.
 
If you buy Jim's rebuild kit on eBay, Norm at Sertech in San Jose can do the rebuild. He did just fine on mine. Take him the whole table and he'll check it out for any other problems.

Thanks Br1ck... you might be right, but I think I will send it to the following for rebuild as I believe it would be easier and cost nearly the same in the long run:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5d49ba239b

I'll send the motor out later this month.

Two must have mods IMO. Get the motor rebuilt and your on your way to a great sounding TT. I left the plate on mine. I think its there to keep crap from getting in the motor.

I'll leave the plate on, as you might be right about motor protection. I was concerned about it rattling from any motor vibration because there is nothing to hold it in place. Of course, there shouldn't be any motor vibration :-)

Thanks
 
After the motor rebuild put the plate on then install rubber O-rings on the shafts that will hold the plate in place and will stop any unwanted vibes as well. :thmbsp:
 
After the motor rebuild put the plate on then install rubber O-rings on the shafts that will hold the plate in place and will stop any unwanted vibes as well. :thmbsp:

Good idea Bob06, I'll do that....... Guess what... the original SF motor rebuilder is back online.... he had a months worth of terrible computer problems, and was able to get back to me this afternoon. Going forward with the motor rebuild later in the week. Great !:-)
 
Good idea Bob06, I'll do that....... Guess what... the original SF motor rebuilder is back online.... he had a months worth of terrible computer problems, and was able to get back to me this afternoon. Going forward with the motor rebuild later in the week. Great !:-)

Great news. Keep us posted. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom