• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts on Allison Two speakers

HomerJSimpson

Addicted Member
I am thinking about getting into a set Allison Two's. Does anyone here have a set? Anyone ever heard a set? How do they compare to the Ones?
 
Register to hide this ad
Not Twos. I have Ones and they are really very good. I can't but imagine that the Twos are mighty fine as well.

The grilles are likely to be quite brittle; the woofers will need to be refoamed (if they haven't been already).
 
Is the only difference between the Ones and Twos the woofer size ? The Ones having ten inch woofers and the Two's having eights?
 
Is the only difference between the Ones and Twos the woofer size ? The Ones having ten inch woofers and the Two's having eights?

That's what I always thought (except with a smaller enclosure that would better accommodate the smaller woofers). That's the way the brochure describes it. It looks like they share the same tweeter and midrange drivers.

I've been keeping an eye out for these things, but I imagine that the price will be on the high side. I'm looking for a speaker with similar warmth and smoothness as my W60E's, but with better projection. All things considered, I'm still pretty damn happy with what I'm using right now. But I really like the looks of the Allison One and Two (and I especially like how forgiving they are in terms of placement). They seem like great speakers, but I've never heard them (and I'm from New England). The One's must have great bass response with two 10's in each enclosure like that.
 
Last edited:
Is the only difference between the Ones and Twos the woofer size ? The Ones having ten inch woofers and the Two's having eights?

Correct, and size of course. The crossover might be a bit different as well. I owned a set of Two's and liked them very much, outstanding east coast sound, super smooth, and very musical. IMHO! I probably should have held on to them, but a fellow AK'r is enjoying them so all is good. Check the woofers though, they are 16 ohm and difficult to source.
Regards,
Jim
 
Great speakers. Same mids and tweeters as Ones and Threes, smaller cabinet, 8" woofers. The Ones and Twos are somewhat placement critical so make sure you have enough wall space for recommended placement; back of speaker against a wall and speaker center two feet from side wall. I have found also that Allisons always sound better with more power.
 
Correct, and size of course. The crossover might be a bit different as well. I owned a set of Two's and liked them very much, outstanding east coast sound, super smooth, and very musical. IMHO! I probably should have held on to them, but a fellow AK'r is enjoying them so all is good. Check the woofers though, they are 16 ohm and difficult to source.
Regards,
Jim

Obviously, they project well (It seems to be the central focus of the design), but what's the bottom-end response like? I'm a big fan of the East Coast sound (It works well with the kinds of music I listen to the most), but I've never heard these before. I like speakers with a strong bottom (I want the music to move me, and the smaller woofers just don't seem to do it - unless there's 10 of them).
 
Last edited:
Obviously, they project well (It seems to be the central focus of the design), but what's the bottom-end response like? I'm a big fan of the East Coast sound (It works well with the kinds of music I listen to the most), but I've never heard these before. I like speakers with a strong bottom (I want the music to move me, and the smaller woofers just don't seem to do it - unless there's 10 of them).

I never felt they were bass light, lots of solid tight bass, not boomy at all there are two 8" drivers in each cabinet which is acoustically suspended. Also the design couples the cabinet to the wall.

Regards,
Jim
 
Back
Top Bottom