• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Through with the Hobby.

zenith2134

Lunatic Member
I come to the realization that since so many opinions are tossed around and little hard data backs them up, I am out of this hobby... I will still repair, collect and listen to my gear but Don't think I'll be participating in the forums anymore. Its been fun, and thank you all, but sayanara. :smoke:
 
Register to hide this ad
But thats what opinions are...gut feelings without data,,,otherwise they are facts..
 
If you will still collect, repair and listen, it sounds like you aren't giving up the hobby at all, which is a good thing in my opinion. If *people* bug you, definitely take a break from at least the ones that bug you. But - and this is true for all of us - when it starts taking the fun out of the hobby, it's time to spend more time with the gear!

Enjoy and come back and see us. Door's always open.
 
Variety is part of what makes this hobby so interesting.

We all hear differently.
Multiple factors, including the weather, affect sound wave propagation on any given day.
Gear interacts in complementary and in contradictory ways, to create positive synergy or negative detraction. That's a stupid-fancy way of saying that any time you put different components together, you'll get different results, sometimes good, sometimes bad.
No one has heard all of the gear out there, nor all the recordings (nor even a very big fraction of them!), so we are all speaking from limited and different experiences. Like the blind men describing the elephant, there are bound to be different and contradictory opinions.

Sorting through all of this as we progress along the path of the seeker, finding out what is and is not true for us, what we like and what we don't like, is part of what this hobby is about. Each of us walks a different experience path, united only by the central theme of "audio" or "music".

If everything was clear, measurable and precise, then everyone would buy the same equipment, or they would look at a chart that said something like "male, age 45, listens mostly to jazz in a 200 squ. ft. room, wants to spend under a thousand dollars on speakers", and read off what speakers should be bought. Everyone in similar situations would have exactly the same gear. There would be no need for competing brands, for different and competing designs and innovations, etc... Thank God that things are NOT that way! It would be boring, and ultimately not nearly as satisfying.

It is much better, I think, that we can try out Mosfet vs Vfet, Push-pull vs Single-ended triode, electrostatic vs sealed acoustic, moving coil vs moving magnet, etc... etc... and all of their combinations and permutations. It is impossible to hear them all, but far from impossible to create great sound within a limited time and budget. When it all comes together, the satisfaction is just that much more.

Just one opnion. You may feel free to disagree, and to leave the hobby if you wish to.
 
I still like a lot of what I find on AK, what I don't like I try to stay away from,
and if I can contribute some useful bit of info from time to time, that makes
me the happiest man on earth. Hope we hear from you again someday!

And have fun with that Pontiac, I got to drive to have a look at a '62 Oldsmobile
I just saw off the highway this morning!
 
But thats what opinions are...gut feelings without data,,,otherwise they are facts..

Touche'

FWIW, audio is just the sign on the door here for me.
It's the folks inside that keep me coming back. :yes:
 
It's a sad day to see you go.....I don't think that you should allow one argument to throw you off of AK....


And everyone should be entitled to their own opinion, and data does not exist as of yet for some many of them. It's all about what you hear.
 
AK Rocks and what sounds great is completely subjective. Opinions are like ???holes. Please remember that and come back soon.
 
Its not just this one experience. And its nothing personal. Most members here are great people.

I spend too much time posting on this and other forums and feel its time to move on and get a life.

Take care, and keep those vinyls playing. :music:
 
Its not just this one experience. And its nothing personal. Most members here are great people.

I spend too much time posting on this and other forums and feel its time to move on and get a life.

Take care, and keep those vinyls playing. :music:

They will be spinning till you get back, in the meantime enjoy the music!
Regards,
Jim
 
It sounds like:

1) You haven't lost interest in the hobby
2) You need a break from the forum. I hope that after your 'siesta', you'll come back.

I can relate to your concern. There are times when I wrap up a session, and ask myself "I just spent how many hrs doing this?" And it's not just this forum. It's web use and cell phone use in general, and the amount of time spent using these.
 
He got me thinkin'. The Hell w/it all. I'm gonna call Bethany & her boyfriend over here & have 'em haul all my damned ol' radios, TVs, Boatanchors, etc down to the street...Feckin' TVs ain't gonna work after Feb., nohow. Buncha ol' decrepit-ass junk, all anybody needs is a Ipod thingy & a AM-FM CD player...Mine'll play MP3s, too, so I'm all set. That big RX-V1 Yammy, the 4 Watkins WSC-1As, the Harmon-Kardon CD recorder, & the Yammy dual cassette deck ? Outta here. Let the trash pick 'em up. I wanted a nice TT at one time, but phooey on it. And w/purt near 20K posts, I've said everthing I needed to say...Twicet. So there. N'yah...
 
Back
Top Bottom