• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Timewindow 1a speakers

tucsonman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked up these DCM Timewindow 1a speakers with original boxes on Saturday. Never owned any DCM speakers and don't really know much about them other than what I've read.
I'm looking forward to giving them a listen once I find the some banana plugs . As you can see the foam isolation wrap is long gone, Any suggestions on getting them recovered?
 

Attachments

  • 20260829_194719.jpg
    20260829_194719.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 20260829_194751~2.jpg
    20260829_194751~2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20260829_194719.jpg
    20260829_194719.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20260830_094210.jpg
    20260830_094210.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20260829_194919.jpg
    20260829_194919.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20260830_183541.jpg
    20260830_183541.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The Fabric we use is "Lycra Spandex".

Acoustically transparent, Visually dense comes in tons of colors and stretches to the moon.

It's also Very tough, Must have used a mile of it over the years.

Found at any good fabrics store.

We liked Black and Smoke gray in various shades.
 
Hey, @Buck Rogers, did you just use the rails and tack the spandex under them, maybe doubled over? Or did you pull the rails, make "socks", sewing a tube together then stretch it over the top "end cap" and down the length? Something else? Sorry to butt in but I thought it would be germane. I've got a pair of what I think is an earlier version and the foam was trash when I got them.
 
Last edited:
Hey, Buck Rogers, did you just use the rails and tack the spandex under them, maybe doubled over? Or did you pull the rails, make "socks", sewing a tube together then stretch it over the top "end cap" and down the length? Something else? Sorry to butt in but I thought it would be germane. I've got a pair of what I think is an earlier version and the foam was trash when I got them.
FYI. To get someone's attention, you need to put a @ before their screen name I.e. @tgmartin
 
I just don’t know what to make of this pair of speakers.

The octagonal Philips woofers were only used in early TWs and I don’t think they made it to the 1a because they probably had DCM woofers.

Is there a serial number stamped into the top of the bottom plate on the back?

Interesting pair.
 
I just don’t know what to make of this pair of speakers.

The octagonal Philips woofers were only used in early TWs and I don’t think they made it to the 1a because they probably had DCM woofers.

Is there a serial number stamped into the top of the bottom plate on the back?

Interesting pair.

The box has "B Stock - Phillips woofers and tweeters" (and SN 1084 & 1085) written on it by hand with a red marker -- maybe these went back to the factory later (maybe under warranty) and were fitted with different drivers?
 
I just don’t know what to make of this pair of speakers.

The octagonal Philips woofers were only used in early TWs and I don’t think they made it to the 1a because they probably had DCM woofers.

Is there a serial number stamped into the top of the bottom plate on the back?

Interesting pair.
The plate is missing on both speakers the only clue is the top of the box that clearly states Phillips woofer and tweeters and probably the serial numbers both written on the box
 

Attachments

  • 20260830_183541.jpg
    20260830_183541.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 4
  • 20260829_194919.jpg
    20260829_194919.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 4
I think these may be fitted with different boxes. But the dual ports make me need to review the info on the TW and 1a.

No serial number stamped into bottom plate?
 
The box has "B Stock - Phillips woofers and tweeters" (and SN 1084 & 1085) written on it by hand with a red marker -- maybe these went back to the factory later (maybe under warranty) and were fitted with different drivers?
That could explain why you have these speakers inside Timewindow 1a boxes. I know the person I picked them up from acquired them from the original owner and some high end gear that he was selling to down size.
 
I think these may be fitted with different boxes. But the dual ports make me need to review the info on the TW and 1a.

No serial number stamped into bottom plate?
Unfortunately no serial number anywhere on the speakers themselves, It could be a possibility the plates come off when removing the foam if they were attached together. Interesting
 
IMG_1086.jpeg
Circle shows where early TWs had the serial number stamped in the wood. I do not know when this started. It stopped when the number was put on a sticker showing the model and other info on the top of the speaker back between the slats that hold the foam.
The strips that hold the foam grille cloth were plastic on the long run of TWs from around 10000-50000. I don’t know what was used on early TWs which is what I think you have.
The TW 1a, which I did not like as much as the TW, seems to have continuation serial numbers as 50002 was a serial number on the web image search. I don’t think there would have been early TW 1a speakers with your serial numbers.

Here is a refresh of a pair of TWs similar to yours, octagon woofers and such.

There are other TW restore threads and I have a few pictures from @GD70 ‘s restore of his early pair. Maybe he will drop in and point us to his thread as I didn’t find it in a quick search. It shows the serial numbers and his use of Velcro to hold new grille material.

Be interesting seeing more of these speakers and reading how you like them and what you are comparing them to. Worthy of a restoration, too.

One big difference between early TW and TW1a is the top of the TW is a walnut veneer, lightly colored vs the darker walnut of many speakers we know. The 1a used a multi-section oak top which could be painted black for some speakers. This multisection is seen along the edge of the base and top plates in both early TW and 1a but the top of the TW was one piece veneer. The later TW had dark brown paint on the edge and inward facing surfaces.
 
View attachment 3828760
Circle shows where early TWs had the serial number stamped in the wood. I do not know when this started. It stopped when the number was put on a sticker showing the model and other info on the top of the speaker back between the slats that hold the foam.
The strips that hold the foam grille cloth were plastic on the long run of TWs from around 10000-50000. I don’t know what was used on early TWs which is what I think you have.
The TW 1a, which I did not like as much as the TW, seems to have continuation serial numbers as 50002 was a serial number on the web image search. I don’t think there would have been early TW 1a speakers with your serial numbers.

Here is a refresh of a pair of TWs similar to yours, octagon woofers and such.

There are other TW restore threads and I have a few pictures from @GD70 ‘s restore of his early pair. Maybe he will drop in and point us to his thread as I didn’t find it in a quick search. It shows the serial numbers and his use of Velcro to hold new grille material.

Be interesting seeing more of these speakers and reading how you like them and what you are comparing them to. Worthy of a restoration, too.

One big difference between early TW and TW1a is the top of the TW is a walnut veneer, lightly colored vs the darker walnut of many speakers we know. The 1a used a multi-section oak top which could be painted black for some speakers. This multisection is seen along the edge of the base and top plates in both early TW and 1a but the top of the TW was one piece veneer. The later TW had dark brown paint on the edge and inward facing surfaces.
Great information!! I'm out of town and will have a listen this weekend and will report back. Much appreciated
 
All I can say is WOW ! Sat down with these over the weekend after giving my ears a break from the Yamaha 1000m speakers for a week. Source: Yamaha M60/C60 combo. I threw every genre of music in my library at them and came up spades ♠️ every time via cds and vinyl. Musical with nice tight lows coming from the dual ports. Midrange & tweeters came through loud and clean, I could tell they hadn't been played in awhile; It took a few rotations to wake them up.
Remarkable speakers from a long ago time yet still producing a fantastic listening experience and soundstage here in 2026, Keepers for sure. I ordered the precut foam insulation and knowing replacement drivers are harder to find, I picked up a single 1a off marketplace for $50. Attached are a few close up photos of the drivers. I noted the dual ports on my pair are lateral to each other? Other images I have seen show one port higher on one side. I'm a big fan of Timewindow 1a/ 1's now, It's a pleasure to be included in the owners club.
 

Attachments

  • 20260907_124341.jpg
    20260907_124341.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20260907_124525.jpg
    20260907_124525.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20260907_124748.jpg
    20260907_124748.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20260907_124404.jpg
    20260907_124404.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20260907_125047.jpg
    20260907_125047.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20260907_125042.jpg
    20260907_125042.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20260906_170720_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20260906_170720_eBay.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom