• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Today's World Music playlist

NIce thread!
Here's what I'm listening to atm
3013765733_36777a72fb.jpg

After which, maybe Volumes II and I or maybe something from the Ethiopiques series.

That looks good! :yes:
 
Gigi Shibabaw Zion Roots

This Ethiopian woman has an incredible voice. She is married to Bill Laswell, and her more recent work produced by him has a somewhat more ambient sound. Zion Roots is a bit earthier. But all of her work is very good.
 
The Radha Krsna Temple of London-S/T

There was a thread a few weeks back on George Harrison's Wonder Wall soundtrack which made me pull out this oldie. I can't stop playing it. This music was a labour of love for Harrison and I don't remember how it was received at the time but it still has a hold on me. The first track "Govinda" had an almost Moody Blues feel to it and I loved that song so much I named my first cat Govinda. I hope that was't sacrilegious.
 
pc200004nn6.jpg


NOËLS CELTIQUES
Celtic Christmas Music from Brittany
Ensemble Choral du Bout du Monde
Christian Desbordes, dir.

Green Linnet
 
My wife, who is from Germany, and her mother, who both came here back in 1970 are from the Saarbruken area. My wifes grandmother is still there. I'll have to have her find out if they have any good Germany recordings of Yesteryear. Maybe I can get her and some of her aunts/uncles to send some over to me. There may just be some very interesting finds.

This may be a whole new area of music genre opened up to me.
Gosh, I hope not. My wife will kill me litterally. I spend way too much on the vinyl I now like :tears:

I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested. Great post by the way, I will be looking into some of these recordings.
 
It's been a while since this thread has been on the top so I will revive it:

Gagaku: The Imperial Court Music of Japan (Lyrichord LLST 7126) (Vinyl)
 
Really enjoying this new (to me) find. It seems that vols 1 and 2 don't exist, but I'm happy to just have this one:

World Psychedelic Classics Vol 3: Love's A Real Thing (Luaka Bop)

psychclassics_.jpg


AMG: "Love's a Real Thing is an excellent introduction into the wild sound world of West Africa in the '70s. As Ronnie Graham points out in his superb liner notes, the '60s were a time of assimilation for much of the popular music of Africa. Many bands were playing a hybrid of Latin and African music typified by the Congolese rhumba of Franco & OK Jazz. The '70s were a different bag, though, with the heavy electric sounds of Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Cream, and others seeping into the consciousness of a new generation of Africans who were also contending with their own emerging sense of identity.

The results are raucous, exuberant melting pots of funky soul, psychedelic rock, and honey-sweet Latin horns mixed through the sensibilities of extremely talented African bands on the cusp of developing styles like soukous, mbalax, and Afro-beat. Senegal's Star Band Number One (aka Etoile de Dakar and confusingly billed here as No. 1 de No. 1), were already seasoned veterans by the dawn of the 1970s, and the sound of their "Guajira Van" with its sinewy fuzz guitar solo and talking drum stabs is glorious proto-mbalax. Elsewhere, there are songs more directly inspired by rock and soul. "Allah Wakbarr" by Ofo & the Black Company has a heavy acid rock guitar lead competing with a conga drum for the top of the mix.

The title cut, "Love's a Real Thing" by Gambia's Super Eagles, is a gritty organ and electric guitar-driven soul number that could have come out of Memphis' Stax Records. One of the later period numbers, William Onyeabor's "Better Change Your Mind" from 1978, is sophisticated Afro-soul riding on an alien keyboard line. "Keleya" from Mali's Moussa Doumbia is the funkiest of the Afro-beat songs on Love's a Real Thing; its chunky organ solo and James Brown grunts beat out the more laid-back "Ifa" from Tunji Oyelana & the Blenders and "Awon-Ojise-Oluwa" from Nigerian studio veteran Gasper Lawal.

There have been other series that have explored Africa in this vibrant and historic period -- the fantastic Ethiopiques, Dakar Sound, and Discotheque discs document Ethiopia, Senegal, and Guinea, respectively -- but what Love's a Real Thing lacks in depth it makes up for in breadth, and the fact that it surveys the whole region rather than a single area makes it a great entry point for them all."
 
Balalaika Favorites
Osipov State Russian Folk Orchestra
Mercury - Living Presence Stereo 35mm* - LP - SR90310

From the front cover: "New! First time ever: First recordings ever made in the Soviet Union by American technical and musical staff and equipment. Recorded by Mercury on location in Moscow"

I just scored this and some other Russian folk music at the Goodwill -- I think someone gave away their slavic music collection as a number of these have been turning up the last few months, all in pretty well cared for condition. This one still has shrinkwrap on it.

* "An original 35mm magnetic film recording" -- didn't know they did that... sounds quite nice, though!
 
Back
Top Bottom