• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top three vintage speaker, vote please!

second the IMF's, even the lil TLS50's are a sweet speaker!

don't forget Tannoy Golds! :thmbsp:
 
Top Three Cheapskate Vintage Speakers !

here's my take, since I'm a . . well . . . CHEAPSKATE :D

1. KLH Model 6:

I've started to like these a little more than Large Advents . . maybe because they jive better with my tube amps . . I just know they are a great sounding, classic Henry Kloss speaker and can be found for DIRT cheap if you're willing to hunt. If not, even a mint pair on ebay goes for under $100 usually . . . recap the crossover, redope the surrounds, give the cabinets a little love, and you have a pair of speakers you can love :music: I must admit I have done none of this to my main pair ( I have three sets :D) and they still sound great.

attachment.php


2. Radio Shack Minimus 7:

They made OODLES of these little speakers. Some of the nicest, cheapest, TINY speakers ever :yes: Again, you can find these DIRT CHEAP . . grabbed mine for $1 :thmbsp: Not even pricey on the bay . . You'd have a hard time finding a better pair of computer and/or nearfield speakers for the money. Although I havent bothered yet, the experts say these benefit from a crossover upgrade.

attachment.php


and out of left field . . . .

3. RCA 12 inch console drivers on JE Labs Open Baffles !

The drivers in question are from 1957-1962. Some have the whizzer cone, some dont. All I know is they sound HEAVENLY on the J E Labs spec'ed open baffle. A tweeter is barely needed - when I use one, it comes in around 8 or 10k hZ. sure they dont go that low (maybe down to 70 or 80 Hz), and their WAF is almost nil (think Norm from This Old House form-follows-function) but you'll be surprised what a simple 50 year old paper cone speaker can do :thmbsp: $50 in plywood, $50 for the speakers (if found on 'the Bay'), and a weekend of cutting, gluing, and screwing. Hook 'em up to a tube amp and you'll be in heaven :music:

attachment.php
 
I'll go with what I know/own...

Altec Model 19's
Infinity RSIIb's
Klipsch Klipschorn's

Easy that way.....:thmbsp:
 
Might sound weird but I'd vote for Pioneer HPM 100's. I am a Pioneer biased person and the HPM's are the speakers that address my taste precisely. After all, this is a really broad subject. Many variables to consider. Bass or clarity? What type of music, room size, amp you use, what kind of ears you got and the list goes on and on... But once again:

1st. Choice: PIONEER HPM 100
2nd. Choice: PIONEER HPM 100
3rd. Choice: PIONEER HPM 100

Well... you should have the idea by now.
 
The Spica TC-50, not yet mentioned, is a special speaker worthy of being on the "best vintage speakers of all time" list. Amazingly, selling recently for less than $200/pr on that auction site.
 
I can't speak for all vintage speakers, as I've not heard them. But I own or have owned about 30 pairs, and I've figured out that I can't just make the call on a speaker by itself. My opinion of all my speakers changes depending on what's behind them. My favorite combos so far:

Boston Acoustics A-150s driven by a Dynaco Stereo 70. The were great before I hooked them to tubes, now they seem to go lower and the highs are crystal clear and very realistic sounding.

KLH 6 driven by a Sansui 9090db. I had this set up running once in the background while surfing the web, and a violin soloist came on through the tuner. It completely entranced me, and sounded more realistic than almost any recorded performance I have ever heard. They aren't perfect speakers, but when they get it right it is remarkable sounding. I prefer them to the similar large advents.

AR2ax by the same dynaco: Mmm, so natural sounding. Everything played in that combo, unless it's has a whole lot going on, sounds like it's in the room. The timbre of every instrument sounds spot on. The low efficiency gets really apparent at higher volumes, though.

AR3A by a Sansui 551. I know...NOT a match made in heaven. I found these at a salvation army and brought them to my girlfriend's house. I didn't want to subject her haflers to untested speakers, so I hooked them to the sansui at very low volume (knowing their tough load). They had scratchy level controls and the foam was going on one of them...but I tuned it to the classical station and there was a piano sonata on. I just sat in the floor and was transported to the auditorium. Perfect timbre. That whole getting lost or taken somewhere else by a speaker..isn't that what it's all about?

JBL Centuries..but only on my Eico tube integrated. I was never impressed by these speakers. The just didn't sound 'real'. Everything sounded like, well, like it was coming through a speaker. Even rock sounded kind of off. Not terrible, but I just didn't see what all the fuss was about. On a whim I tried tubes on them...wow! Not sure if it's the room or just this combo but they sound great! Both the amp and speakers never sounded this good on anything else.

Dynaco A-25s. Got to here them connected to my dynaco at an AK fest last weekend. They weren't mine, and now I know I have to find some. Almost the perfect balance between a vintage and 'modern' sound.

Bozaks via a sherwood tube receiver. Heard it recently at a store. Yummy. Couldn't afford either, but what a BIG sound from a low-powered and sweet sounding receiver.

Wait, that's more than 3...got carried away reminiscing about the sounds!

-john
 
Reasonably priced; large Advents (my all-time fav) mid to higher priced; Dahlquest DQ10's, Yamaha NS1000's and early Quad's and finally cost no object; Klipschorns.
 
The AK "I'll NEVER Sell" list:

ADS L710, Advent, Advent Lg, Advent 9, Allison 6 [2], Altec 601, Altec M14, Altec M19 [2], Altec VOTT, Apogee, AR3a, AR4x, AR5, AR9 Lsi [2], BA 150, BA 400, Bozak Sym [2], B&W 80x [2], Canton 120, Clements 107, Coral BX300, DIY [2], DQ M905, DQ 10 [2], Elipson Orp, EPI 50, EPI 500, EPI M150, ESS AMT6, Frazier MK5, Infinity 2.5, Infinity CS3006, Infinity IRS, Infinity Kappa, Infinity WTLC, JBL 4311, JBL 4313, JBL 4412, JBL L100, JBL L300 [2], JBL 166, JBL L65 [2], JBL L96, JBL Oly S8R, Janszen Z600, Jensen Sigma, Jensen TR10, JM Lab MU, KEF [2], KEF 102, KEF 104, KEF 105, Klipsch Corn, Klipsh RB5II, Klipsch Unk, Khorn AE, K La Scala [2], KLH 3, KLH 6, KLH 19, Lambda U, Mag 1.5, Mission 700, ML Summit, NHT 3.3, NS 690, NSX 10000, Pan SB-D6000, Pio CS99A [2], Pio HPM 100 [4], Pio HPM 200, Polk 7A, B [5], Polk RT55, Quad 57 [2], Quad ESL64, RCA Syst, Realistic M2, Realistic M7, Rogers LS 3/5A [2], RSL Elan, Snd Dyn RTS3, Sony SSG7, Spica TC60, Splendor BC, Stephens TS, Tannoy MG, Thiel CS 1.2, Watt Pups, Yam ns1000 [5], Zero 9.

90 different speakers were cited, representing 51 manufacturers, the top 10 being:

1) Other [62]
2) JBL [10]
3) Pioneer [7]
4) Klipsch [6]
5) Polk [6]
6) Altec [5]
7) AR [5]
8) KEF [5]
9) Yamaha [5]
10) Infinity [4]

"Other" always wins on AK.

Hope that helps.... :p:
 
Good lord that is a long list of speakers. I must say I would be happy to hear just about any of the speakers on that list, owning them would be a whole different story. It is funny how Zilch was able to make a list of 10 brands, each with at least 4 speaker models in each.
 
There are more in that thread now.

I'll have to update the list Real Soon.

[Some of them been sold, too, probably.... :p: ]
 
There are more in that thread now.

I'll have to update the list Real Soon.

[Some of them been sold, too, probably.... :p: ]

You should send some of those beauties to me. I can verify your opinions so we can ensure you are not crazy. :thmbsp:
 
Considering that I'll never even hear most good vintage speakers, I'll qualify my rating on what I know/own.

#1 New Large Advents in walnut- Designed by one of the true pioneers in hi-fi sound, most sound for the buck based on original purchase price, beautifully finished, true classic appearance.

#2 Cambridge Soundworks New Ensemble - Sound almost equal to the Advents above, high WAF, easy placement in a real-life room, excellent warranty, again, designed by a classic hifi pioneer.

#3 Paradigm Atoms Performance Series- Amazing sound for their size and price, although I'm not sure these really qualify as vintage.

Now that I've thought about it, the Ensembles probably don't fit the 'vintage' category either... but they are at least a non-current model.
 
Speakers with biggest impact on a generation - widely owned and great performance:

AR 3a

Large Advent

Dynaco A-25​
 
Ar 302

Thanks for all the great responses!
Lots o fun to read them.

Here's a question for someone..Are the AR 302 any good?, I have been offered a pair shipped for 300 bucks, newer ninties model re-issue? Any good? If anyone has had experience with them please share.
Thanks
 
1. JBL 250Ti
2. JBL L112
3. JBL L166

Although I've never actually A/B any against anything modern, my listening at the audio shops hasn't been enlightening that anything I could currently afford comes anywhere near the vintage JBL's.
 
I just got some Dynaco A25's that are wonderful.
I also like my Infinity RS-4b's, even if they are power hogs.
I had some Advents and JBL's in the 70's that were pretty nice too (I can't remember the model numbers)
 
Damn tough question for a speaker addict...

Ohm F
Electrostats.. KLH Nines, Martin Logan Summits, Acoustat 4 or X, Quads
Mcintosh XRT-28
JBL 250Ti

For most value for the buck:
Minimus 7
Large Advent 25th anniversary edition
Dynaco A25
 
Back
Top Bottom