• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tornado - My First Time...

Absolutely nerve racking..!! I hate storm season..
Glad you are alright sir.. if you have to witness something like that, it's a blessing to see it from your vantage point in that video..
We had a tornado warning a week ago in Lawton, 8:30 pm.. it was radar indicated and never touched down but still caused alot of damage.
I was on my porch looking for it, no wind.. that's scary because you don't know where it is.. then the wind hit, out of the north, strong enough to take down a mile of utility poles..
The north wind let me know I was on the inflow side of the storm, so I knew where to look but darkness, rain, and hail covered everything..

BTW, wind driven hail hurts real bad.. o_O
I took a golf ball sized on to the collarbone! Raised a nice bruise!

I took a direct tornado hit in 2018. Didn’t total the house but did about 35k in damage. I almost waited too long to bail out. I was too busy watching for it.
 
I took a golf ball sized on to the collarbone! Raised a nice bruise!

I took a direct tornado hit in 2018. Didn’t total the house but did about 35k in damage. I almost waited too long to bail out. I was too busy watching for it.

I can't explain why I go outside.. facing a fear I guess.. :dunno:
 
I spent six months in Wichita Falls, Texas at Sheppard AFB going to tech school a long time ago and that's an area familiar with twisters. Fortunately, nothing happened in my time there but it's something that you're aware could happen anytime. That and rattlesnake hunts.
 
I spent six months in Wichita Falls, Texas at Sheppard AFB going to tech school a long time ago and that's an area familiar with twisters. Fortunately, nothing happened in my time there but it's something that you're aware could happen anytime. That and rattlesnake hunts.

Rattlesnake is delicious..!! Tastes just like chicken.. :no:
But I let the others hunt em.. and cook em.. ;)

April 10th 1979.. Wichita Falls and Lawton got hit.. the last 'official' tornado in Lawton..
 
Rattlesnake is delicious..!! Tastes just like chicken.. :no:
But I let the others hunt em.. and cook em.. ;)

April 10th 1979.. Wichita Falls and Lawton got hit.. the last 'official' tornado in Lawton..
I was there October 1973 to April 1974 and was lucky weather wise. Never had rattlesnake. Me and a couple other guys were walking around the downtown area and came across a club where the locals were square dancing. We stood at the door very curious and they invited us in. We declined but looking back that could have been a lot of fun. To my 18 year old self, you missed out.
 
Last edited:
I was there October 1973 to April 1974 and was lucky weather wise. Never had rattlesnake. Me and a couple other guys were walking around the downtown area and came across a club where the locals were square dancing. We stood at the door very curious and they invited us in. We declined but looking back that could have been a lot of fun. To my 18 year old self, you missed out.
I am thinking of scenes in Murphy's Romance.
 
Another survivor of lots of ground movement. That, I can handle. That schiff dropping down from the sky, and clearing large swaths,... that scares the bejeez out of me.
As close to it as I've come are some dust devil dirt twisters that I ran into as a kid; literally ran to get into them. i quickly found out that that was stupid.
And, as a surfer, I've seen my share of water spouts offshore. Those can get pretty intense, and its weird to see water getting sucked up into a greater force.
Tornadoes,... how big of a hole in the ground do you need to sink, or, build an underground storm structure?
 
And, as a surfer, I've seen my share of water spouts offshore. Those can get pretty intense, and its weird to see water getting sucked up into a greater force.

Me too, Mike.
The sound they make while sucking up the water is pretty cool as well (think shop vacuum from Hell !), as I experienced ~100 ft. from one in the bay off of South Miami in 1979 while fishing with a friend in his boat one spring afternoon.

We weren`t scared, with the open bay all around us to turn away from it should it start heading towards us and I told my friend to keep the motor running while we idled up close to it and checked it out until it dissolved.

Very cool example of mother nature for a couple of early twenties stoners to experience !
 
I witnessed it form and drop. Description is in video. It seemed closer. In the video I described it as being 4 miles away, or so. Actual started out about 8 miles way and ended up 12 miles away, plowing through Andover, Kansas.

I hear there were some minor injuries and one serious injury. Severely damaged the YMCA in Andover and destroyed several houses and other structures. One house that was destroyed is a guy that I work with. He and his family were/are safe.

Total damage still being assessed.

Video:

Pictures:
View attachment 2553694 View attachment 2553695 View attachment 2553696 View attachment 2553697 View attachment 2553698 View attachment 2553699 View attachment 2553700 View attachment 2553701 View attachment 2553702 View attachment 2553703
I've lived in the "Wizard of Oz" state for a little over 4 years now. This is my first. I had lived in California my entire life before then. I've been through many massive earthquakes. This was interesting to witness and also a bit nerve racking.
We have a couple more days (Wed/Thur) for potential Tornados. This was a 1/2 hour ago. Click to enlarge
UlnhUOm--l4sBfEKs6e6H9FIfclThGpfFQBqzB_o-izTn_xlT3FteuI03NFIFdTA8Fha-YE6T7VYiie6p5bSZd_YW-OuGF9HgxGy3dobHz2ZcsYl7P37cmxCWx6OjyB0qjB6BtJ1-r0=w2400
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom