• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

my replacement audiobah green board arrived today. i swapped it in for the blue/black board in my 1st build; have it running now.

just did my mouser order for the mods that rhing described on p.21 of the AC thread.

fun!
 
Anybody can comment on this new board/amp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161353017315

Do they use a picture to sell this amp with a burnt red Wima capacitor or burnt fake Wima???? It sure looks like it... ROFL it is a 400V capacitor on input, burnt with 2V???

TB2xxbyXVXXXXXcXXXXXXXXXXXX_%21%2188221699.jpg
 
This is a better picture of the Wima. I have no idea how to tell if they are fake or not. Maybe someone can tell.
 

Attachments

  • TB2IWDlXVXXXXa0XXXXXXXXXXXX_!!88221699.jpg
    TB2IWDlXVXXXXa0XXXXXXXXXXXX_!!88221699.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 77
Do they use a picture to sell this amp with a burnt red Wima capacitor or burnt fake Wima???? It sure looks like it... ROFL it is a 400V capacitor on input, burnt with 2V???

TB2xxbyXVXXXXXcXXXXXXXXXXXX_%21%2188221699.jpg

Hah indeed it does look burnt. By a solder iron, not by current going through it im sure :)
Otherwise, the circuit looks pretty similar to the B&B board. No telling if those WIMA's are real I guess.
 
mmm looks burnt out from the inside, burst open from the inside. I have seen several films like that in old televisions, high voltage picture tube:) but here with like 2V max, no ripple, I would say unbelievable :) or this amp has been rigorously tested :D

Sanyo stopped producing electrolytic capacitors april 2009...but maybe here they are not labeled Sanyo's, can't see clearly
 
my replacement audiobah green board arrived today. i swapped it in for the blue/black board in my 1st build; have it running now.

just did my mouser order for the mods that rhing described on p.21 of the AC thread.

fun!

Thoughts on the green board? How does it compare to the black/blue in your opinion?
 
Finally ma 1st blues

Hmmm, yes, let me know, I would love to find a workaround. I may hold off on cutting in the ALPS. Jadran, if you find your solution works, let me know and advise re a parts list.

Also interested in whether you think the green board sounds superior to the blue/black. That green board is a tiny thing! Sheesh.

It took a while but I've finally fixed and switched on my first (still raw) version of amplifier based on the YJ - black board today. It didn't went the way I was expecting - regarding that filter-socket+switch, and have to figure out why :headscrat
But it's not on priority list right now, as just got the speaker protection board today and will go that route to accompany this b/b board.
Switching 'POP' is really annoying, but the sound ... OMG the sound is AMAZING! So loud and so crystal clear. I did pair the board with one of my preamp. Dynavox - 1x12AU7 tube at the moment (it has Alps 50K pot, and it's so loud on just 8 o'clock!). The image shows my concept with the 6N4x3 preamp in one box that will try out soon. Now have to arrange and find some room for that spk.protect. board first.

Once I finish with this version, hopefully will try two other boards that got lately - the green one by AudioBah and the 'real' blue -ChengZhi board.

14566385382_50af2f8d0d_o.jpg


14380613549_113a0af247_z.jpg


14380580408_6a6297d4f2_z.jpg
 
3 6N4/12ax7 in place off 1 12au7 that already is loud, I hope it works out, gain for 1 12ax7 is much higher then 12au7, but cleaner I believe?
 
Chengzhi blueboard looks better then YJ blueblack, so if all the added circuitry is just for mute and timing on/off or protection it should sound better. Do the inductors on both boards have same height or is Chengzhi's higher? I kind of expect it to be higher.
 
Like the green board so far; need to listen more to compare with blue black. Strangely I am getting a pop when I turn it off. Need to figure that out...

Also, just bought a 10A astron on CL. So will add that to the mix.
 
Chengzhi blueboard looks better then YJ blueblack, so if all the added circuitry is just for mute and timing on/off or protection it should sound better. Do the inductors on both boards have same height or is Chengzhi's higher? I kind of expect it to be higher.

Inductors on both - YJ and Cheng boards are the same, same size/height too. (here are green and blue together waiting in box)

14380944040_eda532e5b4_o.jpg


Yeah, this 3x6N4 combo might be too much, as this preamp board has also one 50K pot. Have one of 20K that was planing to instal on Dynavox instead of that original, so will hear what difference does it make.
 
Last edited:
Looks like parts and pcb come from same factory, that is why I hoped inductors would be slightly higher as they are on this pcb. YJblueblack inductors get warm very quickly I heard, even when YJamp is connected to switched off source and volumepot closed to minimum (no input) and tpa3116 chip is cold, the inductors on YJblue are warm and stay warm, burning energy ... ???

2v7vt34.jpg
 
Looks like parts and pcb come from same factory, that is why I hoped inductors would be slightly higher as they are on this pcb. YJblueblack inductors get warm very quickly I heard, even when YJamp is connected to switched off source and volumepot closed to minimum (no input) and tpa3116 chip is cold, the inductors on YJblue are warm and stay warm, burning energy ... ???

2v7vt34.jpg

This blue pcb with remote control has inductors of 220 uH value, while YJ and simple ChengZhi boards have those of 100 uH.
I had YJ switched on and playing for about 4 hours last night, connected on simple and small - in socket - 12V adapter (as have to rearrange that configuration with 24V + filter socket).
So to say - nothing was hot on black board, heatsink of the chip warm, and could keep finger on it, perhaps 40-45°C. Inductors not even warm!
I suppose those who have experienced issues with black board had issues with PSU and current, as purpose of inductors is to store current - if too much of it they will certainly get hot!
 
Had a little chat about the warm inductors, YJblue is on 15V or 12V, they get equally warm without music playing. Warm is clearly above roomtemperature. Now I didn't know tpa3116 puts out waveforms when there isn't input signal, but it is designed to do so to keep ready for action, so to speak. Still he seems to think there must be more, suspecting more on pcb powersupply trouble YJblue, bootstrapcapacitor=output-transistor-powersupply.
 
This blue pcb with remote control has inductors of 220 uH value, while YJ and simple ChengZhi boards have those of 100 uH.
Minor point. The number on top of the inductor should be read as 22uH. The last digit, the zero, is the exponential (10^0, which equals 1).
 
Had a little chat about the warm inductors, YJblue is on 15V or 12V, they get equally warm without music playing. Warm is clearly above roomtemperature. Now I didn't know tpa3116 puts out waveforms when there isn't input signal, but it is designed to do so to keep ready for action, so to speak. Still he seems to think there must be more, suspecting more on pcb powersupply trouble YJblue, bootstrapcapacitor=output-transistor-powersupply.
It is not clear who has such 'trouble' with hot-warm-... inductors on YJ board, and why warm inductors should be an issue at all?

Only too hot will be a 'real' problem and that is audiable through distortion in sound anyway, no?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom