I got my KLH 23s from the back of a white van. Nearly bought ASD 1290 Mk IIs from one, too. In fact, I bought a lot of good stuff from white vans, nearly always selling illegally at night, ready to close up and run off if the guys in uniforms should appear. Great quality gear, at bargain prices --I love 'em!
Guess it all depends on what country you're in. :yes:
I feel sorry for people who are "taken in" by those scamsters. In principle, they are no different from someone who "scores" something nice at a garage sale; we all hope for a bargain. Their crime, if any besides greed, is just ignorance, unless the patter the scamster gives describes the sale as something fundamentally illegal, in which case they are making themselves wiling accomplices to a crime.
What gets a little more difficult to decide morally, is what they should do after they hear the speakers, and realize that they have been scammed. If they try to resell the speakers, are they obligated to "educate" every prospective buyer about "white van scams?" Or should they just state what the things are in minimal fashion, as this seller has done, and leave it to the would-be buyer to find out for her/himself? Obviously, they shouldn't repeat the lies the original scamster-seller used... but how much obligation do they have, to warn the next prospective buyer? Interesting moral question, that could test one's sense of rightness and Karma.