• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tubes and system synergy

MWalt

Super Member
As some of you know, I just got a Pass F5 clone and have paired it up with a Dared Tube preamplifier. This particular preamp is pretty good with stock tubes, but it really benefits well when rolling in some high quality tubes. Takes things to whole new level. I was previously using an NOS Brimar rectifier and a pair of Psvane 12AT7's. The Psvanes are a great tube; very SS like and clear, clean and articulate. Highly regarded in the tube world. When I paired up the tube pre with the Pass clone the result was even greater clear articulate sound. Then the Morrow Audio MA-3 IC's came and now we are talking an even heavier dose of that oh so clean sound. Always one to try different combinations, I decided to shake things up and roll tubes. I have a pair of NOS Mullard 12AT7's that I used prior to the Psvanes that I had taken out because they are a very liquid, lush sounding tube and didn't mate up as well with the JNW custom tube amp that I was using with the Dared previously. I thought, "What the hell, I'll try 'em and see how they do". The result is VERY noticeable. The result is still the same clean, articulate sound as before, but now there is a much more pronounced liquidity and lush overall sound. This is a NICE combination; the synergy is off the hook. Just another example why rolling tubes can make the hobby so much fun. Oh, one other thought: The Nola Boxers sound like a totally different speaker with the gear I have them hooked up to now. Incredible how application changes affect system synergy.

By the way ArtK, the subwoofer has been off for 5 days now. It's growing on me :D
 
Register to hide this ad
Hahahaha! Sounds like you are having fun over there....Tube front end with a SS back end....HYBRIDS boyeee! You gotta love it. So you liking those Mullards? I've been wondering about them...some say they are to warm, but from what you saying they arent?
 
Hahahaha! Sounds like you are having fun over there....Tube front end with a SS back end....HYBRIDS boyeee! You gotta love it. So you liking those Mullards? I've been wondering about them...some say they are to warm, but from what you saying they arent?

They were too warm with my old EL34 amp but with the Pass clone they just WORK! I am about to order a couple other pairs of 12AT7's I like; the Raytheon 6414 blackplates and a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 12AT7's if I can find a decent price on them. I guess my whole point is that you never know how well a combo will work until you give it a try.
 
They were too warm with my old EL34 amp but with the Pass clone they just WORK! I am about to order a couple other pairs of 12AT7's I like; the Raytheon 6414 blackplates and a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 12AT7's if I can find a decent price on them. I guess my whole point is that you never know how well a combo will work until you give it a try.

I agree about working with stuff to see if it works. The Raytheons and Bugle Boys.....I've heard good things but never tried them. Im using Golden Lion and Telefunken...I like the combination.
 
I agree about working with stuff to see if it works. The Raytheons and Bugle Boys.....I've heard good things but never tried them. Im using Golden Lion and Telefunken...I like the combination.

I have had the Gold Lion KT-77 (modern) and liked them. I would love NOS Telefunken anything if I could find those tubes for a nice price. I really am having a good time with my Pass clone/tube pre hybrid. It sounds so good that I am keeping it on my main shelf for awhile.
 
I have had the Gold Lion KT-77 (modern) and liked them. I would love NOS Telefunken anything if I could find those tubes for a nice price. I really am having a good time with my Pass clone/tube pre hybrid. It sounds so good that I am keeping it on my main shelf for awhile.

One tube I may purchase soon is the NOS Radiotechnique tubes. From what I gather, they have a very pleasing sound unlike any other..... Same tubes the Italian Lector Audio uses in their hybrid CDPs. Ever heard of Radiotechnique? From what I understand, they are the French arm of Philips Holland who also owned Amperex and Mullard. http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Radiotechnique-12AU7-{47}-6189.html
 
I love the Gold Lion driver tubes too. I wanted to try Amperex 6922/7308 but, ahem, the prices...:tears:
 
RCA blackplate 12AT7's are a real nice sounding driver tube and can be had as a matched pair for decent prices as well.
 
Synergy is a funny thing when tube rolling. Balancing too clinical and too warm takes some experience. Enjoy the gathering of that experience. It's a blast to do.
 
I really like the NOS military spec CV4024 Mullards ( 12AT7 ) in my Bottlehead Paramours which replaced some RCA cleartops. I have some Telefunken 12AU7 but currently favoring Amperex Orange Globes in my preamp.

The new production 12xx7 preamp tubes IMO don't surpass many vintage tubes. My experience with power tubes however is different where I prefer my standard 2a3c Shuguangs over some expensive 2a3 RCAs.
 
I just picked up a matched quad of some NOS Raytheon 6414 black plates, Triple Mica types, late 50's vintage. I cant wait to try these in my preamp.
 
One tube I may purchase soon is the NOS Radiotechnique tubes. From what I gather, they have a very pleasing sound unlike any other..... Same tubes the Italian Lector Audio uses in their hybrid CDPs. Ever heard of Radiotechnique? From what I understand, they are the French arm of Philips Holland who also owned Amperex and Mullard. http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Radiotechnique-12AU7-{47}-6189.html

I checked these out. I haver never heard them. but the price isn't bad. My preamp uses 12AT7's so I checked on the upscale audio site and found the very same tube I am using now, the Mullard CV4024 / 12AT7.
 
Radiotech is one I've never heard of and google is of no help. Couldn't find one on ebay either.

Slippers as much as you love tubes you need a tube amp.
 
Back
Top Bottom