• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Twisted After-school Kid's Show we used to have.

I seem to recall by the time I started watching TV in the mid 80s, there wasn't much of the locally produced kids stuff in DC. However...I won't say I'm positive on that because I was lucky enough to grow up with cable; most of my viewing was Nickelodeon.

The 90s were slightly different; the three years we didn't have cable I only recall watching mostly reruns of Rocky & Bullwinkle, Woody Woodpecker, and Looney Tunes. Actually, I didn't watch anything but the cartoons on saturday mornings...by 1993 everyone here had cut out morning cartoons and replaced it with news...so again it was back to cable.

I don't recall seeing "after-school" specials. I don't even remember what they showed in the afternoons. I think Fox had some kids shows on...but after 5pm they were showing sitcoms. The other channels all had daytime programming and soap operas till early evening when they switched to game shows.

Now it's all news, talk show, soap opera, 3 hours of news, prime time, 2 hours of news, paid programming.
 
what was that weird 70's show where the characters in costumes ran around in those 6 wheel amphibeous buggies. It was in the HR PuffNStuff genre. I always thought it was really creapy.

Googled it..."Banana Splits". Really creepy.

I loved them. Most of their stuff was just wraparound for the cartoons etc and at least one live-action (the island one with 'uh-oh, Chon-go!').

la la la
la lala la
(used at the end of Marley's 'Buffalo Soldiers'--don't know which came first)
 
I seem to recall by the time I started watching TV in the mid 80s, there wasn't much of the locally produced kids stuff in DC. However...I won't say I'm positive on that because I was lucky enough to grow up with cable; most of my viewing was Nickelodeon.

The 90s were slightly different; the three years we didn't have cable I only recall watching mostly reruns of Rocky & Bullwinkle, Woody Woodpecker, and Looney Tunes. Actually, I didn't watch anything but the cartoons on saturday mornings...by 1993 everyone here had cut out morning cartoons and replaced it with news...so again it was back to cable.

I don't recall seeing "after-school" specials. I don't even remember what they showed in the afternoons. I think Fox had some kids shows on...but after 5pm they were showing sitcoms. The other channels all had daytime programming and soap operas till early evening when they switched to game shows.

Now it's all news, talk show, soap opera, 3 hours of news, prime time, 2 hours of news, paid programming.

too bad; by the time you came along most of this stuff was gone. There was a Saturday-night monster series (channel 9 I think) that played stuff like 'The Raven' (Price/Karloff/Lorre version) and Monster Zero late 1970s.

anyone remember SCTV's 'Monster Chiller Horror Theater' with Count Floyd? Hilarious parody of this type show.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Floyd
 
Don't forget Sir Graves Ghastly.
attachment.php

Yea on channel 50... or was it 20. That's before Cable. Great memories!
 
In the 50s and 60s in The mInneapolis area they had "Axel and his dog" Axel was a Hitler lookalike (complete with moutache) who spoke in a bizzare 'Scandahoovian' accent.. The dog, was never seen except for a long paw reaching into the frame. check it out on Youtube.
 
How the hell long have you lived in Phoenix? I've been here since '57 (sans a 10 year gap for school).

The family moved here from Cleveland in April 1961. I was 5. I grew up in E. Scottsdale where the world ended at Shea and Pima and the vast desert took over

I remember there was darkness between Scottsdale, Tempe, and Phoenix then
 
Last edited:
Sure do. Saturday night.

When he started, I could not understand why my brother and his friends liked this idiot that used to interrupt all the cool movies. Then I grew up.

Ron Sweed originated The Ghoul in Ohio before bringing it to Michigan. He lived not far from where I grew up in Clarkston. Sometime in the early 2000's, he hosted a live showing in the Clarkston High School theatre. He and a 6' Froggy were the hosts for a Halloween presentation.

I don't remember what the original movie was suppose to be but it was substituted with a showing of Vincent Prices' "The Tingler." Imaging a high school theatre full of aging 40, 50, and 60 year old kids following the direction of "...scream, scream for your lives..."

It was a great time and a memorable Halloween. :thmbsp:
 
Sure do. Saturday night.

When he started, I could not understand why my brother and his friends liked this idiot that used to interrupt all the cool movies. Then I grew up.

Ron Sweed originated The Ghoul in Ohio before bringing it to Michigan. He lived not far from where I grew up in Clarkston. Sometime in the early 2000's, he hosted a live showing in the Clarkston High School theatre. He and a 6' Froggy were the hosts for a Halloween presentation.

I don't remember what the original movie was suppose to be but it was substituted with a showing of Vincent Prices' "The Tingler." Imaging a high school theatre full of aging 40, 50, and 60 year old kids following the direction of "...scream, scream for your lives..."

It was a great time and a memorable Halloween. :thmbsp:

6 foot froggy lol!! And the way back... Bill Kennedy. Remember him?
 
DC had Captain 20 who moonlighted as Bozo and still plays Count Gore DeVol.

Baltimore had Captain Chesapeake.

When I lived in New York in the late 60s, there was Mr Goober. Anyone else remember him?
 
Richmond had "The Bowman Body", AKA Bill Bowman, who was the GM of the station. They even made up a song about The Bowman Body, sung to the tune of "Dooley" as featured by the Darlings on the old Andy Griffith show... He was so AWFUL, he was GOOD... They always showed Grade-Z sci-fi flicks after midnite, nobody cared about the movies, it was just to see The Body, & see what off-the-wall chit he was gonna come up with next...
 
Pee-Wee Herman. Now that is creepy.
 

Attachments

  • pee-wee-herman-20090810-174119.jpg
    pee-wee-herman-20090810-174119.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
DC had Captain 20 who moonlighted as Bozo and still plays Count Gore DeVol.

Baltimore had Captain Chesapeake.

When I lived in New York in the late 60s, there was Mr Goober. Anyone else remember him?

I remember Gore DeVol! Was stationed there in the mid 1980s. fun stuff.

http://www.countgore.com/
 

Attachments

  • hostposterSM.jpg
    hostposterSM.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
In the early '60's there was 'Rocky and his Friends.' Aired afterschool at 4:00PM. Natasha
the Russian Spy, had cleavage. Other characters included Bullwinkel, Dudley Doo-right, Snidely Whiplash, Admiral Wrongway Peachfuzz, Sherman and Mr.Peabody, and, of course, Fractured Fairy Tales.
I remember the show being sued by Derwood Kirby for using the term KERWOOD DERBY. The show was a classic, but not for kids.
 
Sure do. Saturday night.

When he started, I could not understand why my brother and his friends liked this idiot that used to interrupt all the cool movies. Then I grew up.

Ron Sweed originated The Ghoul in Ohio before bringing it to Michigan.
Ron Sweed didn't originate the Ghoul character. That was one Ernie Anderson. He had a TV show that began in 1963 in Cleveland, Ohio called: "Shock Theater" that was extremely popular and definitely off-the-wall. Ernie played the whacked-out, hipster host who was called Ghoulardi.
When Ernie left Cleveland for bigger things in Hollywood, Sweed "borrowed" the character (with Anderson's blessing) but couldn't keep the Ghoulardi name. That's when The Ghoul hit the scene.
Ernie went on to a long and distinguished career as an actor and announcer. His son is Paul Thomas Anderson, the director of such films as: Boogie Nights and Magnolia.

regards from an old Ghoulardi fan.
 
Back
Top Bottom