• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Ultimate Pioneer kabuki speakers

Almost as interesting... ...I know, someone will tell me they sound great and since I've never heard them, they probably do! ;)

5Lb5Z05K63G33N73Hcc547c1ab7860e3f14b2.jpg


Here's an awesome pair of Pionner CS-88As with FB drivers and lattice grilles.

Cosmetically these are in great shape for their age - just a few scratches here and there, but absolutely presentable for your home. Given that these are from the late 60s, I would be surprised to see a better pair.

Tweeters on both speakers have a bit of foam tearing, which is par for the course on these, but there's no real effect on sound. These sound incredible - laid back, warm and fat at lower volumes and incredibly loud and detailed when cranked up.

Specifications: per speaker:
One 12 inch woofer, Two 5 inch mids, Two 3 inch tweeters, One aluminum horn,

Rated at 80 watts.

All drivers are functional.

~15.5"H x 17.5"W x 30.5"L.

Weight is ~51 pounds each
 
Last edited:
That sale is rotten. The bids were at $6.25 then someone comes in and does a $350 buy it now ? I don't know how the seller can even do that because once there are bids the buy it now disappears.
I haven't sold on eBay, but my friend who does said that the BIN doesn't disappear if you have a reserve and it hasn't been met.
 
Well hell...I might as well make y'all throw up in your mouth a little...:D We had the Berlin wall....now the Kabuki Wall....:music:
 

Attachments

  • wall of speakers ..kabuki unite! 006.jpg
    wall of speakers ..kabuki unite! 006.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 71
  • wall of speakers ..kabuki unite! 005.jpg
    wall of speakers ..kabuki unite! 005.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 41
I haven't sold on eBay, but my friend who does said that the BIN doesn't disappear if you have a reserve and it hasn't been met.

That may be. I don't know, I never use reserves.

That sale is obviously bogus and the seller is playing games by having a friend bid on the speakers so they don't sell for 6 bucks. The stupid part is the seller is going to get stuck with the eBay fees on a $350 sale unless he cancels the transaction later. There's a good chance the speakers will show up on eBay again soon.
 
$10 says it's your storage room! ;)

Actually...it's my great room but was playing a joke on me wifey. She was telling me that if I bought one more pair of speakers, she was gonna put me on "Hoaders"!...lol Soooo...she came home from work one day and found this work of art..:D Half of those are gone now. The CS-99a's got a good buck and paid for the G-8000 I just purchased...:music:
I see your Kabuki wall and raise you one kabuki :D

pb260029aaa.jpg

Hey...ok..I give...I just threw up a little...:drool:

You guys are addicted to "Lattice" aren't ya? It's not healthy man, it's not healthy! ;)

But...but..they are so purdy....and there is a crowd that wants them. Right, cave man?..:yes:
 
I've got a pair CS-77s I didn't want but came with a receiver. After seeing these pics I'm worried that they might start replicating!!!
 
Has anyone listened to a pair?

I've listened to lots of Kabuki. Some ok, some not bad, most not good and some simply horrible. If nothing else they serve as a great learning tool.

The nicer ones like the CS-99a's are very good looking speakers made with some of the best materials available at the time. And they sounded ok with lots of power pushing them.
 
I'm not sure the heavy CS's fully meet the kabuki criteria. Anything in the 50-60 lb range is too solidly built to be real kabuki, IMHO.

I just got a nice pair of 99a's at a garage sale. They need a recap before I listen but I'm actually looking forward to it. The lattice appeals to me as a woodworker and appreciator of old quality things.
 
I'm not sure the heavy CS's fully meet the kabuki criteria...

Hi Tox... I hope you realize that most of us are just teasing. I'm sure many of the higher quality early Pioneer and Sansui speakers are actually quite nice players. As you can tell there are many on here who collect these and I tip my hat to them for their commitment to these beautiful pieces of fine craftsmanship....

And then there are some like the OP, that, well... truely need to be ridiculed! ;)
 
Even if you hate kabuki speakers you gotta admire the design and work that went into the lattice grille CS speakers.

Just imagine the CS-99a's with just 3 or 4 drivers. A friend had several pretty decent 3-way and 4-way oddball CS speakers but I can never remember the model numbers.

My HPM-900's in CS-99a cabinets ? Even HPM-100's. Too bad the 99a's are worth too much to chop up.
 
Agreed SimplySound.

Krowmagnum, yes, and there are plenty of other heavy speaks with walnut veneer that were truly bad whose cabinets can be repurposed. I've had Utahs (for example) come through here with mediocre drivers and one cap for a crossover, but really nice walnut cabinets.
 
Last edited:
Not sure what definition of Kubuki is. Here is CS-99aa for comparison. They sound as nice as my other Pioneers. I do like the look of fewer drivers.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom