• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Unmodding" an ARC SP3 Preamplifier

BuzzK

AK Member
Subscriber
A fellow AK'er sent me a great project . . . he had purchased a premium ARC SP3 preamplifier that had been "modified" [somewhat] according to Curcio Audio's recommendations, which included changing the phono RIAA curve to "correct the severe inaccuracy in the original design;" removing the phono stage cathode follower which is allegedly "responsible for serious veiling"; the line amplifier was accused of being non-linear and noisy (the reconfigurer omitted Curcio's "power supply regulator" that he claims will "deliver a truly neutral and sonically inert power supply.") There were also other functional issues, yet to be plumbed.

The photo of the pre (as received) speaks for itself.

Note the abundance of Sprague Orange Drop™ caps (the guy must have gotten a great deal on 0.47 @ 400V parts. AFAIK these were added by the the modifier and not a Curcio recommendation). They were used to bypass the 50 year old electrolytic caps in the power supply – which were not replaced. Most of the coupling caps were altered: piggybacked Sparague 0.47 caps replaced single 1 MFD axial units; line stage caps were boosted from 1 MFD to 11 MFD; caps in the phono section were increased by an order of magnitude, etc. . . . I guess according to the theory that "more is better."

Note the "battery jumper cables" to the phono inputs and to the line outputs (also the modifiers decision). Red wires reveal where components have been removed and shorted out.

In my opinion:

1. "More" does not necessarily equate to "better." Designers have a reason for the values they choose and component cost is unlikely a limitation in ARC's products. (I remember increasing all of the coupling caps in a Scott 222 integrated amp [to "improve? bass response] which caused it to be unstable and "motor-boat." Lesson learned). Caps can cross-couple if placed in proximity, and "the outer foil of a cylindrical capacitor frequently acts like an unintentional antenna, picking up unwanted RF signals and introducing noise into sensitive circuits." There's a pretty good antenna array here.

2. What makes someone an "audio guru" and how can anyone discern their good advice from bad? For example, Curcio offered mods for the venerable Dynaco PAS's phono stage, claiming there was a large deviation from the RIAA curve: "Unfortunately, the moving magnet phono response of the Dynaco PAS preamplifier as designed departs significantly from the standard by as much as 5db at the lowest frequencies."

George Ronnencamp of Audio Regenesis performed a comprehensive analysis and measurement of the PAS phono stage and noted, "the RIAA equalization could be stated simply as: +0.58dB / -0.41dB 20Hz - 20KHz. This would be considered outstanding performance for any vintage preamplifier." Hardly the 5 dB error Curcio claimed.

A lot of the claims made by "experts" aren't backed up with solid (quantitative) test data. As if ARC's or Dynaco's engineers didn't have a clue?

AFAIK Curcio hasn't revealed his test setup for the PAS; nor were "before and after" plots and curves of the mods provided with the the SP3 mod instructions. I disagree with the removal of a CF for a 12AX7 phono stage, so I decided to take all of the recommended mods with a grain of salt and try to restore the unit as much as I could to its original condition so that the other issues could be dealt with (with the exception of changing the large cans in the power supply and adding smaller 0.1 MFD bypass caps).

And so the work begins . .

SP3 Int1.png
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I've seen a few places where cathode followers are cited as some sort of ultimate sonic evil, for reasons I don't entirely understand. Usually its couched in non-specific terms like "veiled" or whatever without an explanation. I'm guessing it has something to do with the effective 100% local feedback applied, because we know feedback is now the great boogeyman for all sonic issues. I saw some treatise on why both of the followers from the Marantz 7c should be removed. Its overall a similar-ish topology to the SP3 with a CF stage at the output of the phono and the line stage.

I mean I guess you could make the case that its not strictly needed in this if its not feeding a tape monitor circuit but to make sure the phono EQ is right it would have to be certain to account for the difference in loading and source impedance.

1782228021845.png

stock the RIAA EQ is a feedback type, driven by the cathode follower so low source impedance, and the EQ is accounting for any extra gremlins the cathode follower might impart. You could more or less remove the cathode follower and cathode resistor, and just jumper from grid to cathode at the socket to complete the signal path. The downstream loading could become an issue,

1782228162866.png

looks like 250K volume in parallel with 500K balance in parallel with 470k plus whatever the balance pot adds to the mix. Assuming its a log/antilog, centered should be ballpark 50k, so ~126K I think? That in parallel with the NFB loading. Its in the zone where the 12ax7 may not want to drive it, and I suspect changing the volume and balance positions may be enough to affect that enough to skew RIAA performance. All highly undesirable, and easily fixed with low source impedance.

Like would be provided by a cathode follower :)
 
I've seen a few places where cathode followers are cited as some sort of ultimate sonic evil, for reasons I don't entirely understand. Usually its couched in non-specific terms like "veiled" or whatever without an explanation. I'm guessing it has something to do with the effective 100% local feedback applied, because we know feedback is now the great boogeyman for all sonic issues. I saw some treatise on why both of the followers from the Marantz 7c should be removed. Its overall a similar-ish topology to the SP3 with a CF stage at the output of the phono and the line stage.

View attachment 3787970

looks like 250K volume in parallel with 500K balance in parallel with 470k plus whatever the balance pot adds to the mix. Assuming its a log/antilog, centered should be ballpark 50k, so ~126K I think? That in parallel with the NFB loading. Its in the zone where the 12ax7 may not want to drive it, and I suspect changing the volume and balance positions may be enough to affect that enough to skew RIAA performance. All highly undesirable, and easily fixed with low source impedance.

Like would be provided by a cathode follower :)
Exactly. Although the Volume pot is actually 500K -- that schematic is confusing.
 
Holy Mother of G0D...

Yeah, I worked on a ton of these "Modded" preamps...

Full disclosure, I initiated a few of these myself... :(
 
We know more now and you have to evaluate the mods based on what we know and actual measurements, not some handwaving about veiling. As for the orange drops, be aware that they come in several types. The Mylar (polyester, 225p) ones are as bad as any polyester. The polypropylene ones (716p) should be excellent. Check my numbers as it's been a while!
 
We know more now and you have to evaluate the mods based on what we know and actual measurements, not some handwaving about veiling. As for the orange drops, be aware that they come in several types. The Mylar (polyester, 225p) ones are as bad as any polyester. The polypropylene ones (716p) should be excellent. Check my numbers as it's been a while!
They were polypropylene, i.e. the “good” caps. The ones that were piggy-backed were mechanically unstable and would physically “ring” back to position when moved.

IMO the drawbacks of increased foil area and “antenna” capability outweigh any likely (or imagined) sonic benefits.

There are plenty of good PP caps with smaller footprints.

And then there are the “aesthetics” of these strapped-on giants . . .
 
The first thing I did was to work on the power supply and replace the 50+ year old caps (they were Motorola and probably most are still operable, but leakage is a concern. For example, I charged up both 300 MFD caps and one held a charge overnight - the other didn't.)

The cans ARC used have small support "pins" instead of the typical tabs. I am loathe to drill any holes in a PCB, so I worked with what is there.

I had a single ARC capacitor adapter that fit a replacement 330 MFD cap. I contacted them and asked if they had others available -- at the outrageous price of $100 each I abandoned that idea. instead I cut the bottom off of the leaky 300 MFD cap and used it as a base for the other 330.

I was planning to re-stuff the two cans with dual 1500 MFD sections, but the replacement caps fit nicely into the existing holes. The two JJ 100 MFD @ 500V caps were another story . . . their taps wouldn't fit anywhere without using a drill and making a mess, so I fabricated bases for them using 14 gauge wires and silver solder to attach them to metal spacers. I used JB Weld to secure them to those assemblies, which isn't ideal, but did the trick.
 

Attachments

  • SP3 cap assy 1.png
    SP3 cap assy 1.png
    525.4 KB · Views: 18
  • SPS cap assembly.png
    SPS cap assembly.png
    426.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Cap support.jpg
    Cap support.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 16
  • tempImagePCrBsv.png
    tempImagePCrBsv.png
    570.5 KB · Views: 19
I replaced the carbon comp resistors in the PS in the hope of reducing noise. Here is the result of the upgraded PS, with the smaller bypass caps. And a bin of stuff I've removed thus far.
 

Attachments

  • tempImagezvhzD3.png
    tempImagezvhzD3.png
    726 KB · Views: 68
  • tempImage3dheYw.png
    tempImage3dheYw.png
    857.5 KB · Views: 66
  • tempImageFjqR96.png
    tempImageFjqR96.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 66
Were you able to test and listen to the pre-amp? How does it sound?

You know, if the phono section is so messed up, maybe just pull the tubes and use a stand-alone unit. External phono pre-amps (especially a good tube one) perform way better for me, than any onboard pre-amp stage.

Just a thought.

Thanks, and good luck!

:thumbsup:
Thanks. Note my prior (#10) reply about [not] listening to the pre.
 
[Laughs]...

Auctioned off a pile of cap pulls like this starting at 39$... And they bid them up to 92$.

Fender pulls from the 50's brought 145$ and a 7 lb sack of MacIntosh "Bumble Bee" caps went 340$.

I never want to see repairs come back, Might have run myself out of business... :(
 
Thank you for posting this here, so i can keep an eye on it in the future for reference. Maybe it can help others along thier own path considering a direction. Today im enjoying the Sansui AU 111 you did for me.
Upon Bated Breath,
Charles
 
Back
Top Bottom