• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Unofficial Monitor Audio Owner Thread

I had no idea what they were, I bought them because they looked really nice, and I was newly bitten by the audio bug. My first taste of Monitor Audio were my Gold REF 705 PMCs, and they were awesome. I went out and found a pair of Silver S2 which were also awesome.

0aJMttl.jpg


The latest pair I've owned were Gold Reference 10 which I would have kept if I hadn't had to move.

iUWFwT6l.jpg


I've been so impressed by Monitor Audio that I bought a pair of Monitor 9s from an AK member in Boston for my brother, to pair with the Nakamichi TA-2A I got him.
 
The ones you have pictured, beside being knockoffs of the ones MA used, have the balls with the flattened end (like if they were filed flat). Take a look at the pegs used on your ASW110 vs. the ones on the 5is. Which type do you have on the minitowers (full balls or balls with flats)? I'm leery of matching my Silvers to what you have because I have the 5 model, not the later 5i ones like you.

Here's the ones I have, with broken peg in the back
dQ0fwDp.jpg


Here they are removed, just need a good strong pair of pliers to pull them out
DTByBbO.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yup, should be able to fix you up. You're remaining peg isn't looking too healthy either, so I'd better send you all four. PM me your address and I'll get them pulled and on their way to you.

Thanks for pulling the stubs so I know how they're attached and how to remove them. Do you have the broken parts still stuck in the speaker cabinets? You'll want to eyeball that carefully.
 
I have a pair of Radius 90s, now in storage. Deep bass and dynamics are compromised but the clarity and imaging is excellent. They look really nice too; nothing cheap about the finish. I’ve heard several very fine sounding Monitor Audio models.
1E192CFD-4D9C-48E8-8305-4AD61F617573.jpeg
 
I have a pair of Radius 90s, now in storage. Deep bass and dynamics are compromised but the clarity and imaging is excellent. They look really nice too; nothing cheap about the finish. I’ve heard several very fine sounding Monitor Audio models.
View attachment 1342537

I used to own a set of these, two satellites, a center, and the matching subwoofer. They were the bamboo finish. These had some of the best cabinet finishes I've seen. I sold these mostly because I was done with micro speakers.
 
Recently picked up a pair of the MA Bronze 2 bookshelves in walnut on model year closeout from the local boutique shop.

Got them for a little more than a third of the original price. Brand new in the box.

Couldn't pass them up for that price.
 
Recently picked up a pair of the MA Bronze 2 bookshelves in walnut on model year closeout from the local boutique shop.

Got them for a little more than a third of the original price. Brand new in the box.

Couldn't pass them up for that price.

Nice catch.
 
Here they are removed, just need a good strong pair of pliers to pull them out

OK, mic'd the 10i pegs against the ones in my Silver 5 minitower grills and they're exactly the same size and configuration. Pulled all 4 pegs successfully; I'll get them out to you in Friday's USPS. Let me know if and how they work out for you.

Based on what I could see after extracting them, you might want to glue them into your grill sockets. My sockets were pretty torn up after removal and, I doubt the pegs would find a firm purchase in what's left of that weird grill frame material. Good luck.
 
OK, mic'd them and the replacements from an old 10i center speaker grill are same dimensions as the ones in my Silver 5 minitower grills. Pulled all 4 successfully; I'll get them out to you in Friday's USPS. Let me know if and how they work out for you. Based on what I could see from pulling them, you might want to glue them into the grill sockets. Mine were pretty torn up after removal. I doubt the pegs would find a firm purchase in what's left of that weird grill frame material. Good luck.

Thanks so much!
 
If you're ever in the dealer's shop, could you please ask if they have any shipping boxes left kicking around for their older model stuff? I'm always on the lookout for their great boxes as they're the berries for shipping MA speakers. Thanks.

I stop in there now and then. They have social listening nights on occasion, where they invite the public, and serve refreshments and snacks while a rep shows off the latest gear. It's a good time.
I'll ask, but they do not carry a large inventory. They have few demo units in the showroom, but they can get anything in the store in a couple of days.
 
I stop in there now and then. They have social listening nights on occasion, where they invite the public, and serve refreshments and snacks while a rep shows off the latest gear. It's a good time.
I'll ask, but they do not carry a large inventory. They have few demo units in the showroom, but they can get anything in the store in a couple of days.

Thanks. It's always worth asking. If they don't have back storage room themselves, they might know someone who does. IMO, much of the most desirable and still reasonable MA gear is from some years ago. Unearthing a long-forgotten or neglected "treasure trove" of 380LCRs or GS10s or drivers and shipping cartons for various Silver and Gold models from 10+ years ago is what I live for. Picked up a set of GR20s a few weeks back, got to the place, and the guys told me they had just "found" the packing boxes (in perfect condition) for the speakers along with the setup box with level, spikes, tools, manual, etc. A gold mine!!!
 
I've been listening only to my monitor audio silver 5i. Trying to get to know the sound well, so I'd notice difference when my caps come in and I recap them. I'm continually amazed by how much accurate bass these put out with such tiny woofers. I do feel the mid bass is a little boosted. Making some female vocals sound a bit too husky.
 
Last edited:
I've been listening only to my monitor audio silver 5i. Trying to get to know the sound well, so I'd notice difference when my caps come in and I recap them. I'm continually amazed by how much accurate bass these put out with such tiny woofers. I do feel the mom bass is a little boosted. Making some female vocals sound a bit too husky.

Keep your eyes peeled for some Golds. A pair of the Gold Reference Centres (2-1/2 way MTM with 6.5" drivers ) placed vertically on 16" stands is killer (and very affordable). Set them up like your 5i so the bottom woofer is the one allowed to roll off low with the upper one filtered both high and low. Excellent sound (and if you're careful, you can pop out the logo badges from behind so the grills match). The GR20 and GR60 floorstanders are nice as well, but there you're talking some serious coin unless you get real lucky. The newer Signature series are even better but pretty rare, and the late model and current Golds are entirely out of my league, price-wise (and I probably don't hear well enough anymore to justify them even if I could afford them).
 
Last edited:
I began this thread because I'm so happy with the sound of my Silver 6 speakers. I'd read that it had been replaced recently by the Silver 300 model, pointing that out in the OP.

However, it isn't that simple. As seen from several of the posts to this thread, the 6 went through several iterations, with letters, like RX-6 & RS-6, preceding the number. It seems the last Silver 6 was the final model of the 6 series. And it is relatively easy to see why they changed model designations.

The Silver 6 was the smallest floor-stander of its line, with the much larger 8 and 10 above it.

The new series two smallest floor-standing models are the Series 200 and 300. Each has some commonalities with the Silver 6. For instance, like the 6, the 200 is a two-and-a-half-way design, but rather than dual 6" woofers, employs dual 5.25" drivers. One may suppose this the reason for MA dropping the 6 as model number. The Silver 6 had a slightly larger cabinet.

The Series 300 uses dual 6" woofers, adding a mid-driver for its three-way design. So the guy who wrote the 300 replaced the 6 (in a review I read somewhere) was basing it strictly upon woofer size, it appears. I think it more accurate to say the 200 replaced the 6, considering its similar 2.5-way design, as well as both models' prices and entry positions in the Silver floor-standing line.

Of course, MA cites improvements. Now, I'm uncertain how much improvement the new tweeter screen makes sonically, but it sure does look cool as shirt. Other than the screen, they appear to be the same gold tweeter. Kind of wish they'd come up with that screen a model earlier (because I am, after all, shallow Hal), but since I leave the grills on all the time anyway, the visual doesn't make much difference.

I saw another review in which the writer opined that the three-way Silver 300 sounded better than the Silver 6 - not hugely better, but better. I should hope so. Haven't seen any comparison between the old 6 and the new 200, but have read good things about the small new one. Amazon still offers the Silver 6, new, in walnut, at just under a kilobuck/pair. An excellent buy if you've been considering purchase.

I'd like to think that thirty or forty years from now some vintage audio enthusiast will find this info of interest while deciding whether or not to restore mine.
 
I have a set of R90s. They are the best micro speakers I've ever heard, and really shine in a desktop nearfield kind of system.
I'm also looking at some larger bookies, and I can't decide between Monitor Bronze 2s or Dali Oberon 3s. I'll probably end up with the Dalis, but I'm still having a hard time deciding.
 
I've just recapped my silver 5i. The hot snot they used to hold crossovers components is ridiculously tough. So I left the original caps in there and just snipped their leads. Put in some 5% tolerance metal film capacitors.

Right away I noticed the already tight bass tightens up just a bit more. There's still a slight mid boost, but it is improved.
 
Yeah, that stuff's ugly. Need some good snips and lotsa patience to clean it all out. And then you gotta put something back in its place...
 
Back
Top Bottom