• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Van Halen's "A Different Kind Of Truth" Details

I didn't mind "She's The Woman" much at all, but Dave's not 21 anymore, LOL. No album here yet, just doing the youtube thing for now. Hey, did anyone else ever right click a video window (after it's done, preferably), and click "check your speed"? My speed looks pretty decent. ;) Now if comcrap could keep up, I'd be set. :D Mine goes to 11 (and a bit).
 

Attachments

  • chart.png
    chart.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 8
I thought that “Tattoo” sucks unless you’re a diehard, but I heard “Outta Space” on the radio yesterday and I got to admit its smokin’. If the rest of the album is even close to that track its a winner.
 
What's nice is it has 13 tracks on it. Most are excellent IMHO. My gripe with their first 6 Lps was that they were too short! Eddie's got some killer riffs going on this one. Dave is, well, Dave. An odd duck for sure, but his voice just "works" with VH style tunes. This Lp takes me back to my late teenage years! Good times!
 
I checked the album out on Spotify and it is decent enough, but I think it is music who's time has past. I'll give it a few more listens and see if it grows on me. I do agree it feels a lot like the real VH. I pretty much dropped them after 1984. Not a fan of the ballady, pop crap they put out with Sammy.
 
I heard it for the first time earlier today and am playing it again to confirm my initial impressions. Screw the positive hype and all the critical barbs, I say this: When taken on its own terms, as a “comeback” album by a band lineup that had been dead for well over two decades, this is the real deal, no BS. IMO, it can stand proudly as a top-flight VH album, and puts most modern-rock efforts to absolute shame.

I must say, I had mixed emotions regarding Truth—I had too many good, fun memories invested in the original lineup to risk seeing my once mighty heroes reduced to, well, a guitar-wielding Gollum—but I’m glad that those fears have been dashed. :yes: The only thing I wish the album had were a few more pop hooks to lure listeners in with. Then again, this album ROCKS like few others I’ve heard recently. It reminds me a little of Fair Warning in that regard: more emphasis on the rock and a little less on the pop crossover thing. Still, I thought the much-maligned “Tattoo” was a very good first single.

As good as the music is, the sound quality is seriously disappointing. The mastering engineer was out to lunch on this one: it’s just too hot, making things WAY too loud. Which is unfortunate, since such a fine album deserves a lot better. Oh well, A Different Kind of Truth is a fabulous LP in every regard, and not even marginal sound can destroy that.
 
I like it quite a bit, I've been listening to it since yesterday. It's missing the classic DLR screech (altho we get one or two attempts) and you can hear where they 'would/should' be - but aside from this, Ed's playing is inspired and the tunes are solid. Decent effort - I'm gonna go to the Philly show - ticket cost be damned.
 
I heard it for the first time earlier today and am playing it again to confirm my initial impressions. Screw the positive hype and all the critical barbs, I say this: When taken on its own terms, as a “comeback” album by a band lineup that had been dead for well over two decades, this is the real deal, no BS. IMO, it can stand proudly as a top-flight VH album, and puts most modern-rock efforts to absolute shame.

I must say, I had mixed emotions regarding Truth—I had too many good, fun memories invested in the original lineup to risk seeing my once mighty heroes reduced to, well, a guitar-wielding Gollum—but I’m glad that those fears have been dashed. :yes: The only thing I wish the album had were a few more pop hooks to lure listeners in with. Then again, this album ROCKS like few others I’ve heard recently. It reminds me a little of Fair Warning in that regard: more emphasis on the rock and a little less on the pop crossover thing. Still, I thought the much-maligned “Tattoo” was a very good first single.

As good as the music is, the sound quality is seriously disappointing. The mastering engineer was out to lunch on this one: it’s just too hot, making things WAY too loud. Which is unfortunate, since such a fine album deserves a lot better. Oh well, A Different Kind of Truth is a fabulous LP in every regard, and not even marginal sound can destroy that.

Thanks . Good review . Spot on .
 
I have listened to it 4 times now, and it is an absolutely friggin balls out rockin album. I couldn't give 2 turds what any review says or anyone else, if you like rock music and this doesnt do it for ya, maybe it is time to turn in your card. Seriously though, this is a fun album to PLAY LOUD, this is Van Halen, this aint rocket science. Ed's playing is the best possibly in his entire career, the frigggin riff and just flat out rocking guitar of Honeybabysweetiedoll is smokin, just true rock, finally. This is good stuff folks. Oh and yea, PLAY LOUD. Haters hate.
 
I've listened to it three times now. I had lost interest in these guys after Dave left. I gotta say, I may like this better than any of their previous albums. I have a feeling they will sound fantastic live. I'll see them May 19th.
 
Agree with those who like the album. About half the songs are smoking good and the rest are OK too. Great driving music ... pumps me up every listen. Tattoo really grew on me too. Now it's one of my favorite tracks. Nice to remember the old days while hearing fresh material.
 
I brought the deluxe vinyl release of A Different Kind of Truth: Vinyl Tour Collector's Edition, and it came with a digital download of the album that was released at midnight this morning. I wasn't digging Tattoo very much, but it's growing on me, but the rest of the album ROCKS!!!

I grew up on Van Halen in So Cal in the mid to late 70's, and listening to this album is taking me back like those last 27 years never happened. I just hope the CD isn't mastered like most CD's and victim of loudness wars. The Foo Fighters new release was unplayable, but the vinyl and digital download Wasting Light sounds great.

I'm impressed with A Different Kind of Truth. :music:

The vinyl has a different mix than the cd. Eddie wanted the dynamics right for the lp. He, With producer John Shanks, Worked overtime to get it right. To my ears, It's way better. Analog vibe.
 
Agree with those who like the album. About half the songs are smoking good and the rest are OK too. Great driving music ... pumps me up every listen. Tattoo really grew on me too. Now it's one of my favorite tracks. Nice to remember the old days while hearing fresh material.

The bottom half of the album is on fire, From Honeybabysweetiedoll, On, It's on a different planet. Edward is telling all players, "Here's how to play", And "Here's how it should sound".
 
I thought that “Tattoo” sucks unless you’re a diehard, but I heard “Outta Space” on the radio yesterday and I got to admit its smokin’. If the rest of the album is even close to that track its a winner.

Outta Space, Is my favorite tune from ADKOT, For now. It changes daily. Just a great jam song. Dave is reaching for the high note a bit, But he's ok. The rest of the band is just rocking behind the vocals. OS is from a 76 demo formally call, "Let's Get Rock'n". The guitars are about the same, Lyrics have been changed. Probably the greatest unreleased VH riff out there.
 
I checked the album out on Spotify and it is decent enough, but I think it is music who's time has past. I'll give it a few more listens and see if it grows on me. I do agree it feels a lot like the real VH. I pretty much dropped them after 1984. Not a fan of the ballady, pop crap they put out with Sammy.

I don't think guitar driven Rock music ever has a "Time". If it sounds good, Has killer guitars, Catchy songs, It will be good. Sure Van Halen ain't no spring chickens anymore. But you got Edward Van Halen, And David Lee Roth. How bad is it gonna be. Few bands are timeless, Van Halen is one.
 
I heard it for the first time earlier today and am playing it again to confirm my initial impressions. Screw the positive hype and all the critical barbs, I say this: When taken on its own terms, as a “comeback” album by a band lineup that had been dead for well over two decades, this is the real deal, no BS. IMO, it can stand proudly as a top-flight VH album, and puts most modern-rock efforts to absolute shame.

I must say, I had mixed emotions regarding Truth—I had too many good, fun memories invested in the original lineup to risk seeing my once mighty heroes reduced to, well, a guitar-wielding Gollum—but I’m glad that those fears have been dashed. :yes: The only thing I wish the album had were a few more pop hooks to lure listeners in with. Then again, this album ROCKS like few others I’ve heard recently. It reminds me a little of Fair Warning in that regard: more emphasis on the rock and a little less on the pop crossover thing. Still, I thought the much-maligned “Tattoo” was a very good first single.

As good as the music is, the sound quality is seriously disappointing. The mastering engineer was out to lunch on this one: it’s just too hot, making things WAY too loud. Which is unfortunate, since such a fine album deserves a lot better. Oh well, A Different Kind of Truth is a fabulous LP in every regard, and not even marginal sound can destroy that.

My thoughts exactly, Thanks. I played ADKOT Between WACF and FW. Flowed right in there perfectly. I will say, Ed's playing on ADKOT, Is actually slightly ahead of those two, If possible. Just saying.
 
I have listened to it 4 times now, and it is an absolutely friggin balls out rockin album. I couldn't give 2 turds what any review says or anyone else, if you like rock music and this doesnt do it for ya, maybe it is time to turn in your card. Seriously though, this is a fun album to PLAY LOUD, this is Van Halen, this aint rocket science. Ed's playing is the best possibly in his entire career, the frigggin riff and just flat out rocking guitar of Honeybabysweetiedoll is smokin, just true rock, finally. This is good stuff folks. Oh and yea, PLAY LOUD. Haters hate.

Glad you like it. I've read few few bad reviews. That tune is classic ED doing his mad scientist **** again. Of course it's killer.
 
Back
Top Bottom