• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage gear guys: what are you doing most of the time when your system is making mus

Vintage gear guys: what are you doing most of the time when your system is making mus

  • My ass is glued to the dent in the carefully set-up listening chair and I’m just listening.

    Votes: 28 28.3%
  • I’m sitting in or near the sweet spot with my attention divided by a book, laptop or similar.

    Votes: 38 38.4%
  • My system is playing while I’m up doing other things.

    Votes: 33 33.3%

  • Total voters
    99

Brett a

~◦●○o0o○●◦~
I know this may be a difficult question to have only one answer for. I’m sure many here are doing a combination of each. But if you had to pick one as the most time spent, what would it be?

I suspect there are (at least) two camps here on AK. Those who have tweaked their speaker placement and listening chair, etc, through to the perfect centimeter of positioning, and those who enjoy music as a more whole space-filling, “it’s great wherever I sit, stand, or dance” experience. (Maybe we all do some of both.)

I was thinking yesterday that it would be interesting to compare these practices between those who go for vintage gear and those who have more modern set-ups. (And please, it’s not my intention to open any can of worms here. If you want to wade back into the vintage v. modern debate, there are plenty of old threads you can resurrect for that. ---The way I see it, we’re all friends here and it’s just a simple poll.

For me, when I have my modern system fired up, it’s definitely “ass glued to the listening chair”. For pleasant space-filling music, I prefer vintage.
If you want to vote in the “Modern” version of this poll, it’s here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202877
 
Register to hide this ad
Regardless of system, nearly always music is ambient, not critically listened to anymore.

Just reflects my change in priorities salted with not enough time to do all that is required.
 
I work from home 90% of the time. My main system is in the den where I work and is playing much of the time (TRB on the turntable right now). That's where I listen to the vast majority of my music. Not critical listening, but cranked enough that it's not just background noise.
 
and this one is flawed too.. and even kind of worse...

I do all of the above in an even split.. PLUS.. part of my gear in my system is vintage, and part is new...

We need a statistician to figure this out...
 
and this one is flawed too.. and even kind of worse...

I do all of the above in an even split.. PLUS.. part of my gear in my system is vintage, and part is new...

We need a statistician to figure this out...
I see the problem. You'll just have to spend a few hours doing the figuring to arrive at a reasonable average to determine if you have more vintage or more modern..... now, should you do it by number of vintage pieces in your rig? Or maybe by their over-all replacement cost. What about personal attachment or level or enjoyment? How about if you average the volume of cabinet space inside each. Damn. that's going to be a lot of work. Good luck. Let us know what you determine. :)
 
I like to have music playing, no matter what is going on. cleaning, computer, watching football, no matter what the music is being enjoyed
 
I like to surf the Internet when I'm in the sweet spot. However, when I clean the house, I put on my main system and the living room system on.
 
Sittin down listening? Like hell I'd fall asleep. Read a book while while listening? Nope can't pay attention to both at the same time. Where's the part about tipping a few cold ones with some friends and shooting the breeze? Yes I'd have to agree this poll is quite flawed.
 
I said sweet spot and something else but now comes the real question, most of my listening is done on vintage headphones and a new iPod at work. :scratch2:
 
most of the time it plays while i do other things.

the few odd moments when im just listening to music are because i got a hair up my butt to crank led zepp and jump around playing air guitar and piss off the neighbors!
 
So far, it’s (rounded up)

Vintage:
Ass glued: 22%
Sitting near: 36%
Up doing: 43%

Modern
Ass glued: 54%
Sitting near: 29%
Up doing: 18%


Interestingly inverted, ain’ it?
 
Sometimes I critically listen, but mostly I use music to make mundane household chores more bearable. Since mine has given me such joy, I'm presently on something of a campaign to convince my AK brethren to assemble kitchen systems.I'm not arrogant enough to assume I'm the first to have this idea, but mine has made my life better. Plus it's a great justification for more gear shopping. Mine is a Marantz 2270 and DCM CX-17's, a simple little butt kicker. I've discovered I can cook!
 
Back
Top Bottom