• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Speakers- The Unique, Rare and just plain Odd.

ESS AMT 1. A family friend had a pair of these when I was a kid. I always thought they looked so cool and they sounded awesome 4D897982-2C42-4BF4-8F47-0C21A472738E.jpeg
 
Hey everyone. I have a pair of vintage Wharfdale Super Linton 30D loudspeakers hooked up to an old Technics SU Z35 amp and a Dual 504 turntable I just acquired yesterday. The amp is being used while my Marantz 2230 is getting a blanket recap and power supply replacement. Just yesterday I was hooking up my Dual 504 to the receiver and grounded the wire to the amp and began to immediately hear distortion out of the bass driver on my right channel speaker. It can be heard across all inputs e.g., phono, aux, and tuner, and increases with volume. Cables are grounded to the amp and speaker because of age, no banana plugs. Does it sound like a blown bass driver? Cone is not ripped and is intact, could it be a melted coil? Mostly playing jazz and light rock with loudness switch but not really cranking it. Amp holds 8omhs with the speaker. Any advice would be super helpful....not sure if I've got a dead speaker on my hands or what :(
 
Hey everyone. I have a pair of vintage Wharfdale Super Linton 30D loudspeakers hooked up to an old Technics SU Z35 amp and a Dual 504 turntable I just acquired yesterday. The amp is being used while my Marantz 2230 is getting a blanket recap and power supply replacement. Just yesterday I was hooking up my Dual 504 to the receiver and grounded the wire to the amp and began to immediately hear distortion out of the bass driver on my right channel speaker. It can be heard across all inputs e.g., phono, aux, and tuner, and increases with volume. Cables are grounded to the amp and speaker because of age, no banana plugs. Does it sound like a blown bass driver? Cone is not ripped and is intact, could it be a melted coil? Mostly playing jazz and light rock with loudness switch but not really cranking it. Amp holds 8omhs with the speaker. Any advice would be super helpful....not sure if I've got a dead speaker on my hands or what :(

Welcome to AK. You will likely get a lot of help from the community, but you should definitely create a new thread for this question, with a thread title that summarizes your issue/question. You have a very specific question, and it doesn’t fit under the general “unusual speakers” topic this thread is about.

Or may be ask a mod to move it to a new thread and provide the mod with a thread title.
 
Welcome to AK. You will likely get a lot of help from the community, but you should definitely create a new thread for this question, with a thread title that summarizes your issue/question. You have a very specific question, and it doesn’t fit under the general “unusual speakers” topic this thread is about.

Or may be ask a mod to move it to a new thread and provide the mod with a thread title.
thank you! I actually just did that . I hope it helps my siutation
 
Hey everyone. I have a pair of vintage Wharfdale Super Linton 30D loudspeakers hooked up to an old Technics SU Z35 amp and a Dual 504 turntable I just acquired yesterday. The amp is being used while my Marantz 2230 is getting a blanket recap and power supply replacement. Just yesterday I was hooking up my Dual 504 to the receiver and grounded the wire to the amp and began to immediately hear distortion out of the bass driver on my right channel speaker. It can be heard across all inputs e.g., phono, aux, and tuner, and increases with volume. Cables are grounded to the amp and speaker because of age, no banana plugs. Does it sound like a blown bass driver? Cone is not ripped and is intact, could it be a melted coil? Mostly playing jazz and light rock with loudness switch but not really cranking it. Amp holds 8omhs with the speaker. Any advice would be super helpful....not sure if I've got a dead speaker on my hands or what :(

You may not be aware that most loudness switches are tied to a 50% tap on the volume control. That means, as the volume approaches 50% rotation the amount of boost is progressively lowered.so as to provide less and less boost and none at all when the level reaches 50%. It's the exact opposite for volume levels below 50%.
 
You may not be aware that most loudness switches are tied to a 50% tap on the volume control. That means, as the volume approaches 50% rotation the amount of boost is progressively lowered.so as to provide less and less boost and none at all when the level reaches 50%. It's the exact opposite for volume levels below 50%.
That's really helpful -- which would mean that the loudness switch would likely not have caused the blow out, correct?
 
If you've been playing music with the volume control at 1 O'Clock or higher the loudness compensation is most likely not the culprit.
 
Back
Top Bottom