• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

VPI 16.5 new to me: Deep dive on some stuff, fan mod I want to do

Ahh, OK, I see a little boo boo on the wand, and you put a Bandaid on it, OK, no harm-foul, and likely not an issue that is high priority.

Probably mentioned this way back in this thread. See that little Donut Shaped Collar on the vertical Vacuum Tube that the Wand attaches to? Have you ever made any attempt to properly adjust that?

Simple, clamp a record to the Platter, install the Wand Assembly minus the Helical Spring. Adjust that Collar by loosening the Allen Screw in its side, then the goal is to only have the Vaccum Wand "just touch" the Record's surface. No higher, nor no lower in height. When the Wand is swung over upon the record and then let drop. How far does it drop? Does it touch the record? Or does it go far beyond? Like the 3 Bears, you want this adjustment "just right".

That the Wand just touches the record surface.

Once you have achieved adjusting that collar to fine tune Wand Drop Height, lock the Allen Set Screw, remove Wand, replace Spring, you're done!

There is one bad problem that some VPI RCM owners have encountered, and mostly from previous owner or other mis-use, and that can be an upper deck plate being warped from moisture attack and this causes the Vacuum wand to not evenly come in contact with the entire Record's Surface.

All little pecadillos with these toys.
 
Hello Mark,

You mean the tape on the top of the wand? that was there when I got it, did not bother to remove it, i will do that now, I peeled away but not hole or crack. Might be originally to prevent the top from hitting?
I did adjust at one point but might have messed it up i will do that again.

one question how far is the wand supposed to into the wand holder?

interesting note about the upper deck plate did not think about that one.

thank you
 
Hello Mark,

You mean the tape on the top of the wand? that was there when I got it, did not bother to remove it, i will do that now, I peeled away but not hole or crack. Might be originally to prevent the top from hitting?
I did adjust at one point but might have messed it up i will do that again.

one question how far is the wand supposed to into the wand holder?

interesting note about the upper deck plate did not think about that one.

thank you

The wands are just a simple press fit, no need to overdo pressure, or do something like pounding them in. Installation and removal of the wand is probably one major cause of people breaking-cracking the Wands.
That and dropping the Lid on the wand when in a bad position.

VPI does make a more durable Black Delrin Wand. I never had any problems with the original clear wand.
 
Thanks Mark. I was wondering how far in really but it’s ok. I did the alignment again and it seems a little better. I will continue to play with it. Does not seems like much else to do at this point.
I noticed the platter has some play up and down a little and when the wand is a above the record it lifts a little higher in the back where the label is.
 
Thanks Mark. I was wondering how far in really but it’s ok. I did the alignment again and it seems a little better. I will continue to play with it. Does not seems like much else to do at this point.
I noticed the platter has some play up and down a little and when the wand is a above the record it lifts a little higher in the back where the label is.

Yeah probably common that there's a little Platter wobble, and I think in many cases this is not attested to a loose Platter connection, but just slop-play in the Platter Motor's Shaft-Bushing.

But the Platter connection is easy to check, there's a central circular pre-cut portion to the cork platter mat that will lift off with the use of an exacto knife, then pop right back in after.

And can then check condition, or even remove the platter entirely to inspect-etc, check the arbor for firm attachment, etc. Yeah, the Platter uses some quite wimpy screws, like three 6-32.
My arbor was re-drilled and tapped for 8-32 screws, a little better.

I also use a custom machined cloned green edge clear acrylic Platter with neoprene rubber mat, replacing the original platter which I kept.
 
yeah i think i read that in a few forums about the wobble.

I saw your mods they are pretty impressive and some nice upgrades as well.
 
yeah i think i read that in a few forums about the wobble.

I saw your mods they are pretty impressive and some nice upgrades as well.

Ooh, one other thing perhaps I forgot, overlooked, never mentioned, etc about the Platter Motor, and how it is affixed.

On my 16.5, and like pretty much all others, there is a top Stainless Steel Mounting Plate with central hole, and attached to it, is of course the Platter Motor, and it is connected to that Top Plate with 4 Rubber Bushing-Spacers. They can be checked, insure all is tight and OK.

I once swapped out those rubber bushings, and used appropriate sized nylon spacers instead, and tested-used. I didn't like the change, and went back stock.
 
Thanks. I think at this point I have tried a few things to get the suction to be a bit better but i might be expecting something that is not realistic it sucks and cleans the records as expected. Might just leave well enough alone at this point

if you think of anything else I’m open.
Thanks for your help

Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom