• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

VPI To Market A Direct Drive Turntable

FWIW, the Teres DD is a superb motor and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find it's their best option. I would also not be surprised if the VPI will be superb.

The brinkman motor also appears to be a very nice design.
 
Last edited:
Lower mass (I'd not call the platter on my SP-15 exactly "low" compared to some belt drives I've known) and high torque make sense in the fast start/stop, broadcast/DJ environment many of DD tables were meant to work in. Coming from a strictly audiophile standpoint it makes more sense to keep the motor smaller and presumably quieter and increase the mass. I presume those virtually instant starts will be lost, but in the context it is not important.

Yeah, I don't know many situations where getting up to speed in a quarter of a turn will drastically alter my music listening experience. I agree that A quiet motor and steady speed will always be a benefit.
 
Don't shoot the messenger. Take it up with the source of the opinion.

No shots fired. Just clarifying. I don't doubt it works well. I just take it with a grain of salt, because I don't know of many manufacturers who will say their newest product is inferior to their previous ones.
 
Brinkmann - Germany about five years ago. The 'Bardo' and the 'Oasis'.

http://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.php?prod=bardo
Interesting. I opened the link above and found this statement discussing DD turntables aimed at the broadcast market (I wonder who they meant? :scratch2:) Regarding quick stop and start times they commented: "This caused heavy cogging effects accompanied by high wow & flutter numbers." Leaving the cogging statement aside, let's look at those "high" W&F figures. The Tecnics W&F is listed at 0.025% WRMS. Their Bardo, which supposedly overcomes the problem has a listed W&F of 0.07% linear, 0.035% weighted DIN 45507 :yikes:. How is .07%, or even .035% in improvement over .025? The real question is whether these W&F amounts are audible. While we wouldn't want to compound the problem, I imagine these are better figures than the lathes used to cut the master (unless it's the Technics lathe).
 
Funny what goes around comes around... Sony, et al, discovered the merits of DD decades ago. I wouldn't imagine that anything by VPI would be up to that standard, tho', based on my experience. Just too expensive to get right.
Which VPI tables have you had?

I assume that your follow-up was to be, if you haven't tried it, how can you make a comparison. I think Littletoot was talking bout the new DD VPI that was just announced. To my knowledge, no one but VPI has that table. Well, that's how I read it at least.
 
Interesting. I opened the link above and found this statement discussing DD turntables aimed at the broadcast market (I wonder who they meant? :scratch2:) Regarding quick stop and start times they commented: "This caused heavy cogging effects accompanied by high wow & flutter numbers." Leaving the cogging statement aside, let's look at those "high" W&F figures. The Tecnics W&F is listed at 0.025% WRMS. Their Bardo, which supposedly overcomes the problem has a listed W&F of 0.07% linear, 0.035% weighted DIN 45507 :yikes:. How is .07%, or even .035% in improvement over .025? The real question is whether these W&F amounts are audible. While we wouldn't want to compound the problem, I imagine these are better figures than the lathes used to cut the master (unless it's the Technics lathe).

Reg Gandy the owner and designer at Rega used to say that flutter was more sonically detrimental than wow.
 
Not shabby for RCMs, but their TTs leave a lot to be desired from what I have read. I have the VPI 16.5 RCM and it's good, but I would not want a VPI TT. Then again I wold not want a Rega, Project or Music Hall either. That's just me though.

Why no love for Rega? Or the Rega clones? :scratch2:
Phyllis
 
I assume that your follow-up was to be, if you haven't tried it, how can you make a comparison. I think Littletoot was talking bout the new DD VPI that was just announced. To my knowledge, no one but VPI has that table. Well, that's how I read it at least.

He seemed to be talking about his experience in the past with VPI tables. At least thats how I read It. I'm always interested to hear from people who have lots of experience with different turntables.
 
His name is Roy! :)
My Daddy loved his turntables! :yes:
Phyllis

Their is a lot of love for Rega you simply need to find the apprpriate thread and you will find plenty of it. There is a thread at present on British Audio subforum with lots of pics from people here at AK and their Rega products.
 
Interesting. I opened the link above and found this statement discussing DD turntables aimed at the broadcast market (I wonder who they meant? :scratch2:) Regarding quick stop and start times they commented: "This caused heavy cogging effects accompanied by high wow & flutter numbers." Leaving the cogging statement aside, let's look at those "high" W&F figures. The Tecnics W&F is listed at 0.025% WRMS. Their Bardo, which supposedly overcomes the problem has a listed W&F of 0.07% linear, 0.035% weighted DIN 45507 :yikes:. How is .07%, or even .035% in improvement over .025? The real question is whether these W&F amounts are audible. While we wouldn't want to compound the problem, I imagine these are better figures than the lathes used to cut the master (unless it's the Technics lathe).

Sometimes, I do wonder about some of the published W&F specs. For instance, the W&F measured on the GT-2000 (and this is not meant to be a shot at GT-2000 owners) were measured at the electronics. While I have no doubt the W&F were vanishingly low even while using an industry standard, my objective nature winces at the thought that they would publish those numbers as W&F for the turntable. Other turntables measured with this method usually have a JIS standard measurement of about 4-5x as high. The GT-2000 likely being .015-025 is still very impressive, it's not the .005 that is published in various documentation.

Beyond that, I don't think once you reach a tiny level of W&F that most tables are capable above, that going further gets you a nice spec to publish, but perhaps not any sonic improvement. I still wouldn't mind a Pioneer P3 with it's published .003% W&F or the GT-2000 and it's .005%.
 
All I know is, this looks fantastic.

oasis.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom