• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

VPI Turntable Owners Thread

Damn that is nice, glad it is working out for you. It must be exciting to know that the best is yet to come too.

I can't really tell in that picture but is that the version of ET2 with the fine-adjust VTA dial?
 
Damn that is nice, glad it is working out for you. It must be exciting to know that the best is yet to come too.

I can't really tell in that picture but is that the version of ET2 with the fine-adjust VTA dial?

Yes it is, tho' I find using the feature introduces levelling stability issues best avoided.
 
Do you mean during play?

Correct, or not as well. The slightest bit of tilt on the manifold and spindle shaft will send the thing scooting off this way or that, seems there is the tiniest bit of side play in the slide for the VTA mech and that is just too much. My sample may have worn from constant use of the VTA feature, I dunno for sure.
 
As long as it gives you an accurate reference you can adjust around in fine increments - even not during playing - it's a great feature.

My VPI arm is capable of on-the-fly adjustments but I just don't want to play with something as delicate as a uni-pivot while playing - I bet the ET is very much the same.
 
As long as it gives you an accurate reference you can adjust around in fine increments - even not during playing - it's a great feature.

My VPI arm is adjustable in this way and I love it for fine tuning but don't mess with it during play. It is capable of on-the-fly adjustments but I just don't want to play with something as delicate as a uni-pivot while playing - I bet the ET is very much the same.

That's also how I see it, not a deal-breaker at all and well-worth the bother.
 
Should be fun settling in with this - I could see a table like this being one that you get very comfortable with, maybe comfortable enough that everything else can go. :)
 
If they still use the Hurst synchronous motors the speed is determined by line frequency vs pulley-to-platter circumference ratio. If so, the speed is only adjustable with a variable freq regenerative power conditioner.

The VPI's OEM 600 RPM motor has been upgraded/replaced with a 300 RPM motor. I don't know what type of motor, if it's a Hurst or something else, that the VPI arrived with; & the previous owner is out of the country. But he did mention on how much this new motor had improved the sound of the turntable. So, I guess, for right now I'll assume the speed of the platter will be correct as I received it.

Finally got the Digi cart dialed in and time for a bit of intense critical auditioning.

I gotta say that tonearm you've installed looks very interesting, & I was looking at an HW-19 before I went for the Scout that I now have. Sounds like the tonearm is working out for you.:thmbsp:
 
The VPI's OEM 600 RPM motor has been upgraded/replaced with a 300 RPM motor. I don't know what type of motor, if it's a Hurst or something else, that the VPI arrived with; & the previous owner is out of the country. But he did mention on how much this new motor had improved the sound of the turntable. So, I guess, for right now I'll assume the speed of the platter will be correct as I received it.



I gotta say that tonearm you've installed looks very interesting, & I was looking at an HW-19 before I went for the Scout that I now have. Sounds like the tonearm is working out for you.:thmbsp:
Thnx:thmbsp:
The 300 RPM motor should come with a belt pulley double the circumference of the former motor belt pulley.
 
I'm really enjoying your posts. It's like VPI 101!

markd51 should be here, he's supposed to be the VPI guru. Haven't seen him for a while.
Acquiring this set-up has been a learn-as-I-go course for me, lots of interesting material incl this recent thread on VPI "upgrading";
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=514740
And there is a lengthy thread in another forum on the ET-2 and the flawed wisdom of second-guessing the designer's intent.
 
Last edited:
Should be fun settling in with this - I could see a table like this being one that you get very comfortable with, maybe comfortable enough that everything else can go. :)

Hey Bill!
Yep, all but 3 could go. The VPI/ET as the primary player in one system, the Big Mitz as the alternative in either sys, and the PL-L1000 as the secondary pleasure player because I have too much tied up in it in upgrades for an attractive resale, and it's an ergonomically delightful LT.
 
Last edited:
Here is the final iteration of my upgraded Scout. My final additions were HR-X feet and a custom Stereo Squares dust cover made to accomodate the Classic arm.

picture.php


Some say they did not get much benefit from adding the feet but I think I did. I listened to a Lou Reed album after I had mounted the arm but before I added the feet. There was a definite increase in overall sound quality with the Classic arm but I still had trouble understanding a lot of the lyrics. I thought it was just my old ears blurring things up. After I added the feet I could understand substantially more lyrics. The sound was cleaned up - more distinct. YRMV.

Today I listened to a JJ Cale/Eric Clapton album for the first time with the upgrades. Before, I could hear both singers but sometimes it was difficult to separate their voices and to know who was singing what part. Today it was incredible! I had the VTA dialed in and the new arm/feet did their thing. There was a huge amount of space between the vocals - it was like I was listening to the album for the first time.

I am through with upgrades and am looking forward to listening to my albums all over again.:D
 
Here is the final iteration of my upgraded Scout.

Interesting. What is the cylindrical object next to the tonearm pivot location? It looks like you have an outer "ring" weight on the LP. Was this a slight, or a more noticable improvemsnt in the sound? I've read in another forum where a member mentions several posts recommended replacing the feet with bearpaws. It sounds like you're happy with the HR-X feet on your Scout.
 
Back
Top Bottom