• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

VPI Turntable Owners Thread

Interesting. What is the cylindrical object next to the tonearm pivot location? It looks like you have an outer "ring" weight on the LP. Was this a slight, or a more noticable improvemsnt in the sound? I've read in another forum where a member mentions several posts recommended replacing the feet with bearpaws. It sounds like you're happy with the HR-X feet on your Scout.

As noted above, the cylindrical object is a VTA tower. VPI allowed me to trade in my JMW-9 tonearm assembly plus cash for a used Classic 2 tonearm assembly with new Discovery wiring.

I have read how others like the Bearpaw feet. I found demo HR-X feet online and tried them out. I am very happy with the sound improvement. I don't know if the improvement is better than Bearpaws - I have never tried them.

The periphery ring also provided a real improvement in sound. Also, it is nice to see the cart/tonearm basically float across the album. The cart/tonearm can just deal with the violence of reading the grooves and not have to deal with the up/down gyrations of typical record warp. There is more info on periphery ring clamps on this AK thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=520949
 
Last edited:
Vpi tnt

IMG_1548_zps5d9ba893.jpg
 
Absolutely beautiful Ossidian! Nice cart/arm combination. I would have to make a whole new rack system to handle that puppy.
 
Interesting....

And too damn hard to see on my phone.

The Zyx worked so well on the Sansui SR-929 (and so much better than it worked on the VPI) that when I was offered a very-low hour demo Audio Technica OC-9ml II today for cheap I figured it would be a good thing to try on the vacated VPI arm.

It sounds EXCELLENT. I like my VPI again.
 
demo = already Broken-In :music:

What is it you have John , Classic I ?

Yes, its the original Classic, even before it was called the Classic I, with the squared off edges. The cart works wonderfully on it. Airy, detailed, tight bass, all that audiophile stuff and tracks like a champ but also just has me tapping my foot. Sounds like my AT-150mlx did but more full and immediate.
 
This morning MusicDirect had a demo Classic III for 4799.00 - Gone now

Someone will be the happy owner soon
 
Last edited:
At one time it really was a Classic. Now its just one of many Classics. The lowest of them to boot!

Those Classic IIIs in rosewood are bee-ewe-tee-full.
 
Back
Top Bottom