• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Walked out of Goodwill with this beauty

The Shocker

Super Member
k62djru.jpg


Paid a whole $13.00 for it. I figured, for $13.00, how could I go wrong?

Time to do a whole lot of research into turntables. I'm a CD guy, and I haven't used a turntable since 1986.
 
Register to hide this ad
Looks very similar to my 1249. One word of caution - at the base of the tonearm there might be a wheel that you can turn to raise the height of the tonearm so you can play a big stack of records. Don't do this. It can stiffen the movement of the tonearm due to all the dried grease stuck in that base and you will have to take it apart, clean it, deal with bearings, the whole mess. Trust me I know.
 
No tracking angle adjuster on this. But, many late Dual models had no felt oil-retaining washer around motor bushings. Now how do you service this kind of ****?
 
I finally got the 1257 hooked up last week and tried it out on a $1.00 Barry Manilow thrift store album. Didn't do any adjustment on the turntable. I just wanted to drop a needle and confirm I get sound, and everything seems to work. Record began spinning. Needle dropped and played music.

Now I need to buy a tiny gram scale and a new stylus and hopefully I can crank up some vinyl.
 
I also scored at Goodwill this weekend. It's a Pioneer PL-50A and it cost 20 bucks. I've never restored audio gear, should be a fun project. View attachment 1479474

Good table! Biggest issue on it is probably the center post bearing (get 'em on Ebay for under $20). At the time I had it, a young woman who ran a local record store was digging through a bunch of my doubles and fell in love with it and bought it from me. Five years later it's still going strong.
 
Man, I simply cannot recall the last "scroe" I got out of a GW or thrift. Likely that hog Yamaha A/V I got for 40 bucks, and even that was not me, it was a friend who knows my addictions.
 
I replaced the belt and oiled the wood. The spindle bearing appeared to be recently greased. I put an AT-14Sa cartridge on it, I figured they are about the same age. Sound nice! I've been trying to find a dust cover.
 
Question about the Dual. I ordered a scale to set this thing up properly, but I was showing it to my kids to show how it worked on my cheap $1.00 Goodwill record. And left the turntable on and the receiver on. When I came home tonight, HORRIBLE humming out of the speakers. Turned it off and left it off for now. I noticed the same thing last week when I powered it on just to make sure it worked. I turned it off and left it alone and when I turned it on today, no hum.


The grounding screw is connected to the ground wire.
 
I disconnected the ground and reconnected it, and the noise seems to have gone away. We'll see how long it lasts.

And another cool story of the day.

4-5 years ago I gave all my vinyl away to a coworker that was getting into restoring old 50s/60s console radio/turntable combos. The guy left my company years ago, but I still had his cell phone number, and out mutual love of Apple products caused us to actually have a pretty nice friendship. So, I sent him a picture of the turntable.

He texts me back and says "Nice find! You want your old records back? They're still in the crate you gave them to me in. I haven't tried to play them. They're yours if you want them.
 
Nice score, Shocker! ...and welcome to the Dual side where the force is strong :)
Thank you! I've pretty firmly moved into the world of CDs and I am quite happy there. But there are some albums that were never released on CD, and I am getting back my old vinyl collection that I can enjpy again.
 
Back
Top Bottom